Spartans Home

EVO - A quick Brainstorm...

Durka-Durka~SPARTA~

Hey, I was thinking tonight, and wasn't even on the can, but anyways....

How about having a daily OP-Order where our mission for that time is to take the town ect, but we plan it out in the forum and then work on executing it that day or until the day is over. Goes something like this...

Today's OP:

Mission:

Take city of Ortega.

Objectives:

1. Stage vehicles in small coastal town of Geraldo to the East of town.

a. M1A1 (2)

b. Repair, refuel, ammo trucks.

c. Stryker (2)

2. Eliminate Radio Tower

a. Snipers position on hilltop directly west of town

b. Laser designators position with snipers and call in strikes

c. Main assault force moves in from FARP Geraldo through south road while under cover of close air and sniper fire.

3. After town is cleared, stage FARP at next available town.

Something like that. That way, everyone knows what is going on for that day and doesn't have to ask. Also, it helps with the guys who play later who have a heads up. I guess you could call it a daily strategy. We know we have to take out a radio tower, so we just figure out a way of doing so, but also needed are support loads, ect.

Thoughts?

Great idea Durka, and if people want to play with us just let them know that they have to check the forums (not a huge ask) for orders before they jump in.

I think we should try it in any case it has to be better than what we are doing right now.

So we'll put up a list of those who want to be a General for a day, and then have them form a strategy for that day. With this, it doesn't matter if you don't play that day, so long as you give a strategy for those to follow. Those who don't/can't check the forums can hear it from the guys in-game, but defenately checking on the forums would be a plus.

This is just a brainstorming session, so any suggestions or thoughts?

I dont want to be the general for the day but want to share a few observations for succesfully capturing a town.

1. 2 person Recon teams need to locate the Shilkas and other threats stealthily manouevering around the edge of the grey zone.The Recon teams need the M136 or Javelins. ideally there would be 4 recon teams (8 people)

2. Many towns have hills far enough away that 107 sniper teams can kill with impunity and yet still have eyes on the tower. For each town, that hill needs to be located and marked. The Sniper teams should have a laser designator (dont forget the battery). If there are multiple hills increase the number of sniper teams. (min 2 people)

3. An infiltration unit needs to get into the Grey zone asap. They are not to engage, if they enter through the arc of fire of the sniper team, they will be afforded some protection from roving patrols. According to Bushwacker this action prevents the AI from bringing in fresh troops. They should have a laser designator and 2 satchel charges. (min 2 people)

4. A dual role assault team should deploy in a HMMV with an AI. The team would stop well short of the target zone and approach the area of ariel activity on foot with Stingers. The HMMV will contain their alternate assault kit which should include Anti tank weapons or laser designators. (min 2 people + 1 AI)

So far noone has done any shooting, between the four teams we should have a picture of armour and troop deployment. Initially the town appears dead, this is because the AI are spawned by some trigger event (which I am uncertain of at this time).

The engagement should only commence when all teams are in position and ready. When the shooting starts, the recon teams should take out the shilkas and the stinger team should take out the enemy air assets, this will free up the pilots to take out all designated armour and targets. Once the AI is triggered the sniper teams will take out all visible soft targets then help designate targets.

All teams should converge on the tower from multiple compass points, once the recon teams are in the grey zonee the infiltration team should advance on the tower using all available cover.

This extravaganza requires at least 15 people (14 ground plus at least 1 pilot), but in my opinion this is a recipe for success. As you can see the assault part of the plan is vague. I have observed that the best you can do is get people into a good initial position and from then on it all gets a bit chaotic. Also the actual shooting phase will invariably be triggered by an unexpected enemy encounter, we would need to adapt accordingly.

As you can see I have used no tanks or armoured cars. This is because I have observed that they are really only good for mopping up but are invariably brought in too soon resulting in their destruction.

Anyway these are my thoughts on how to swiftly capture a town in evo. Given the number of people required if we ever did designate one night and one time for a big group mission we could try to implement it then.

Obviously this is of no interest, lol, but after chattting with Durka there needs to be at

least 2 snipers since one cannot cover the arc effectively.

Can I say I am very interested, but not in evolution.

With Zebb, 7 & a few others I would like to do this in Hardcore on coop/PvP objective missions

Of course I'm talking about the tactics & organization, but that's hardcore no respawn.

viii

See if you can make heads/tails of this one.....

User posted image

Here's the basic strategy I thought up in about 15min. I'm sure others could do better, but just an example.

1. Forces have to secure the high ground to have any chance of taking the town.

2. Forces have to secure the reinforcement routes to have any chance of keeping the town.

Sniper positions to the hills at the north, covering both the East/West areas of the tower.

An Armor squad (1) positions itself to the north hill directly above the tower and will head off the main assault.

OP2 hangs out to the Eastern hill as an Observation Point to either observe or destroy reinforcements coming from the south.

Another Armor squad (hardest job) flanks around to the far south and covers the main east-to-west road and destroys any reinforcements moving from there.

Once the hills are taken and everyone is in position, the main assault, led by Armor 1 begins. They split and flank the tower as their covering fire takes care of all those around them. Basically, the snipers clear a "lane" for them to get to the tower and the rest of the supporting elements take care of the rest. It sounds complicated, and is to a degree, but, if you want to plan a proper engagement, this is how you do it and it takes days or hours in advance to do it in real life. If you still want to do it this way, great, or do it the way you've been doing it and that's just as fun, just not as coordinated. I'll do either.

Obviously this is of no interest, lol, but after chattting with Durka there needs to be at least 2 snipers since one cannot cover the arc effectively.

Hey Zeno that is very well thought out and documented strategy. I am just now catching up on posts after, what has turned out to be, a marathon 'Evo' week(+) so sorry for not responding sooner.

Since I am new to ARMA I didn't quite understand the polarization regarding Evo as I thought it was an asset rich environment from which almost any plan could be launched.

After playing/observing/shooting my mouth off ..:unsure: ..all week I'm starting to understand the dynamics of 'Evo' which offers a 24/7, 'All Access' type of play.

I'll add a general remark (sorry) that this is a miltary simulation and as such some (many/most) roles are in support positions. I'm really curious to see if there are enough folks willing to come into a long mission knowing that they will only pull the trigger if everything else has gone wrong.....for that particular mission.

As a final aside my opinion is that the 'points' setup for Evo is not conducive to slow, methodical, disciplined strategy and leads only to trying to figure out how to 'beat' the interface. Points should be limited to say 30 max for everyone (eg).

I'm interested in seeing how this develops and I really hope that such a brilliant piece of s/w like ARMA(1/2) (known issues aside) is not shelved. The scope of the task is large but the rewards will be in proportion to that task being succesfully managed.

Perhaps Coop is the proper place to take the baby steps required to gel a team and Evo will remain a distant star that we can one day hope to reach......I don't know.

Again your plan is excellent and I will glady follow any/all of the Spartans into battle.

Cheers,

X-Wind

See if you can make heads/tails of this one.....

User posted image

Here's the basic strategy.

1. Forces have to secure the high ground to have any chance of taking the town.

2. Forces have to secure the reinforcement routes to have any chance of keeping the town.

Sniper positions to the hills at the north, covering both the East/West areas of the tower.

An Armor squad (1) positions itself to the north hill directly above the tower and will head off the main assault.

OP2 hangs out to the Eastern hill as an Observation Point to either observe or destroy reinforcements coming from the south.

Another Armor squad (hardest job) flanks around to the far south and covers the main east-to-west road and destroys any reinforcements moving from there.

Once the hills are taken and everyone is in position, the main assault, led by Armor 1 begins. They split and flank the tower as their covering fire takes care of all those around them. Basically, the snipers clear a "lane" for them to get to the tower and the rest of the supporting elements take care of the rest. It sounds complicated, and is to a degree, but, if you want to plan a proper engagement, this is how you do it and it takes days or hours in advance to do it in real life. If you still want to do it this way, great, or do it the way you've been doing it and that's just as fun, just not as coordinated. I'll do either.

Looks really good Bud!

Nice job on the map.....when??

Done this morning, on a whim.

The hardest part would be taking OP2 and Armor/Anti-tank 2 positions.

Any thoughts on when this may attempted?

Q: Was this map a screen shot that was edited in PS or can you do that type of markup in game?

Looking forward to giving some of these plans a go....

I dont want to be the general for the day but want to share a few observations for succesfully capturing a town.

1. 2 person Recon teams need to locate the Shilkas and other threats stealthily manouevering around the edge of the grey zone.The Recon teams need the M136 or Javelins. ideally there would be 4 recon teams (8 people)

2. Many towns have hills far enough away that 107 sniper teams can kill with impunity and yet still have eyes on the tower. For each town, that hill needs to be located and marked. The Sniper teams should have a laser designator (dont forget the battery). If there are multiple hills increase the number of sniper teams. (min 2 people)

3. An infiltration unit needs to get into the Grey zone asap. They are not to engage, if they enter through the arc of fire of the sniper team, they will be afforded some protection from roving patrols. According to Bushwacker this action prevents the AI from bringing in fresh troops. They should have a laser designator and 2 satchel charges. (min 2 people)

4. A dual role assault team should deploy in a HMMV with an AI. The team would stop well short of the target zone and approach the area of ariel activity on foot with Stingers. The HMMV will contain their alternate assault kit which should include Anti tank weapons or laser designators. (min 2 people + 1 AI)

So far noone has done any shooting, between the four teams we should have a picture of armour and troop deployment. Initially the town appears dead, this is because the AI are spawned by some trigger event (which I am uncertain of at this time).

The engagement should only commence when all teams are in position and ready. When the shooting starts, the recon teams should take out the shilkas and the stinger team should take out the enemy air assets, this will free up the pilots to take out all designated armour and targets. Once the AI is triggered the sniper teams will take out all visible soft targets then help designate targets.

All teams should converge on the tower from multiple compass points, once the recon teams are in the grey zonee the infiltration team should advance on the tower using all available cover.

This extravaganza requires at least 15 people (14 ground plus at least 1 pilot), but in my opinion this is a recipe for success. As you can see the assault part of the plan is vague. I have observed that the best you can do is get people into a good initial position and from then on it all gets a bit chaotic. Also the actual shooting phase will invariably be triggered by an unexpected enemy encounter, we would need to adapt accordingly.

As you can see I have used no tanks or armoured cars. This is because I have observed that they are really only good for mopping up but are invariably brought in too soon resulting in their destruction.

Anyway these are my thoughts on how to swiftly capture a town in evo. Given the number of people required if we ever did designate one night and one time for a big group mission we could try to implement it then.

Zeno I'm very interested in giving this and other plans a go. Any thoughts on when this may be set up?

X

My plan needs 15 people willing to play at an extremely slow pace available at the same time.

Thats almost everyone who plays evo, so its just impractical. The best hope for proper coordinated play is in a small mission like Zebb is talking about.

Nice presentation Durka.

Zathrus told us about the FARP idea, where you put a FARP on a hill that has oversight of the town, the put a Vulcan and a tank next to the FARP. The FARP rearms and repairs the armour and they can clean out the village of armour and air assets.

Any thoughts on when this may attempted?

Q: Was this map a screen shot that was edited in PS or can you do that type of markup in game?

Looking forward to giving some of these plans a go....

i took a screenie and then edited it with Photoshop, although you can change the icons on the map that show up by pressing up or down on the curser. That's about as custom as you can mark them.

Thats a pretty good minimal boot assault plan. Youre still looking at 5-6 people to do a lot of leg work just to get in pos.

Keep in mind that if one member goes down, you lose eyes on a large section of the town.

My plan needs 15 people willing to play at an extremely slow pace available at the same time.

Thats almost everyone who plays evo, so its just impractical. The best hope for proper coordinated play is in a small mission like Zebb is talking about.

Nice presentation Durka.

Zathrus told us about the FARP idea, where you put a FARP on a hill that has oversight of the town, the put a Vulcan and a tank next to the FARP. The FARP rearms and repairs the armour and they can clean out the village of armour and air assets.

That's truly a shame about not being practical as the idea sounds great.

I know nothing of this s/w and the FARP thing was brought into play the night before last by a visitor who has gone through this island a lot. Personally I think it's an exploit that should be understood and managed.

It's definitely worth a shot we should give it a go, 3 of us were observing Cayo for quite a while waiting for the rest of the teams to move into position and everything was dandy until the firing started a bit too early, but as long as we keep the fire discipline until everyone is ready to go then the plan should work well.. :thumbsup: