Spartans Home

Computer spec for DrNo

Ok, Motherboard is pooched. burial will be at sea....

So here is a suggestion form a local computer place I deal with alot with work. I dont really think its all that super, but its in my $2000.00 Can funds budget. Please pick this apart. Im not ordering anything till I get some good intel into a good system. Thanks guys.

Vista ultamate.....

box; typical......

power; 650watt pwr sup

Mthr brd; nforce 780i sli

cpu; intel C2Q Q9300 2.50ghz 1333FSB 6MB

mem; 4GB pc6400 800mhz ddr2

HD; 500gb sata 7200 rpm 16 cache HD

Opt drv; dvdrw 20x dual layer

video; sli - 2x pci exp geforce 9600gt 512mb w hdtv out, hdmi, 2 x dvi

on board nic

on board sound; intergrated supreme fx audio

5 yr warr

Well I would pic out and order stuff on line, You will get more for your money that way You can build alot nicer machine for $2000 then he will do for you and you can 9800gt in sli for 139 ea.But the more i look at it, its not to bad a deal With warranty . But bigger p/s and maybe better vid cards.

if you have time price it out. We can help you build it.

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~

After what I have heard guys that have got an sli setup have said I would stick to one card as the second doesn't give the jump in fps/buck a tightwad like me could justify. If you do go sli I think you may need a bigger pwr supply.

Enjoy whatever you get bud.

Do you do video rendering ? ..... If no you don't need 4gb of Ram (However it's cheap now so get 4gb 2x2gb sticks of GENERIC ram no over priced tight timing BS you pay double for)

Now since you don't Video render or use programs like maya ... Save your money and get a C2 Duo E8400

SLI is NOT double the performance ... 2 x 9600's will not perform better than 1 x 9800

ATI crossfire kills SLI in the same given performance bracket. The ATI 4870 is frikin fast and cheap also ( Under half the price of the 280GTX and almost similar performance in most applications)

SLI boards are super expensive as well and you will get just as good performance from a Gigabyte P35 DS3

So save your money on the CPU and SLI and M/B for Sli and get yourself a faster core 2 3ghz cpu and a 9800GX2 video card you will even have change left over for other stuff. Your rig will be fine for all the current crop of games and the next batch like Arma 2 as i'm betting you don't have a 30" monitor to display the resolution you need for SLI graphics setups.

My 2 cents :P

I have never used SLi, but my 8800 GTX has served me well for 15 months and still appears to hold its own with the games I play.

Also get a better power supply.

Arent the faster C2duos 3Ghz (non quad) better for gaming that a 2.5Ghz quad.

Good luck with the build.

Cheers

Phil

Ati 4870=$289

9800gtx=$149

9800gx2=$369

280gt=$449

I read yesterday that invidia is dropping its prices to compete directly with ATI. And thats from a reliable sight, not some crazed bonzi review sight. Wait a little and see.

Like I said its a seceret. If you just install the sli cards with out doing any settings then you won't get any difference.

We havent come up against a full clocked 280 yet running twice the buss speed we are. It takes 2 of the outher cards to beat it some claim.

And how is cross fire any different or better then SLI, They bouth use 2 cards bridged. and you can't claim its the buss speed. Not with the introduction of the 280.

So If they claim that SLI isent any good then cross fire isent eather becouse its the same princible. Yes?

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~

Its a bit of both. Have some bud's here in town. I ended up deciding on the 9800GTX OC2. It wasnt very expensive and will do the job just fine. I compared pricing at a few online computer outlets and taking shipping and duty, exchange ect there isnt any advantage to doing the whole thing myself. All the parts will arive at thier store and they are going to assemble it, load it, get it all working, transfer all my data ect and get it all up to speed. I dont have time to screw around with this stuff right now, we'r leaving for a small vacation to Silverwood Amusment park just north of Cour d'lene Idaho this weekend so when I get back the thing will be ready to go. I dont have a 30" monitor but id like to see what it looks like on my 50" plasma, that should look pretty cool. Reality is that the wife wont like the box in the family room so Ill have to use my 22" back in the batcave.

I am looking at the 9800 GX2 as my next vid card purchase. However, I am going to wait a bit until the price drops some. This should be soon according to the buzz but I think it will depend on the 260 and the 280 cards becoming more price friendly and available first.

22" is a good size & the Batcave sounds like heaven for a great player, looking forward to

you getting your new box & talking about how awesome it is. It should be good for over

2-3 years with the Quad & 9800 GTX, then you can clean it out, from the accumilated dust

& then try to push it further by over clocking about 10% max.

To be honest, The whole system will be good for a long while..... :)

Im here Im here ! lol, just getting by on my laptop. Were off to Cour d'arlene, Idaho, USA tomorrow AM for a week of vac going to an amusment park called Silerwood. Only a 5-6 hour drive from here. Ill be back up and running when i get back 0n 05Aug or so. I appreciate everyones input in computer stuff. There is so much to pick from and no matter what, theres always something else out there. Im really looking forward to the unit and ill be in contact all week as im taking my laptop and where we are staying has hi-speed. Talk to ya all soon. DrNo