Spartans Home

Operation Flashpoint 2: Dragon Rising - Feb 2009

Operation Flashpoint 2: Dragon Rising - Codemasters

http://www.codemasters.com/flashpoint2/uk/...flashpoint2.php

Release is showing 28/11/2008 but it will probably slip

Game Engine is:

EGO engine, the same engine that powers Race Driver GRID.

http://uk.gamespot.com/pc/action/operation...int2/index.html

Update, game info is coming in, read further posts & see the future, this is not OPF 1 or ArmA !

Okay, this is the 'real' sequal to Operation Flashpoint, as opposed to Armed Assault (ArmA) which isn't....

CodeMasters (CM) own the copyright to the name, so Bohemia Interactive(BI) went off themselves and wrote their own sequal, ArmA.

CM have been developing their own sequla for quite sometime, so we'll have to see if it is any better than ArmA, and all the MP issues with cheats that we all know all to well....

If the MP is better than ArmA, this may be a great squad based game. Reviews suggest it will be aimed at larger units than squads, so you RTS freaks may find it more to your likeing.

I'll wait and see, but it won't be the next FPS, that's for sure....

if what you are saying is true i cant wait, i still play ofp from time to time and it will always be my first love. ^_^ nothing i have played since goes anywhere near a close 2nd even thou enjoyed cod4 and graw 1&2. I love OFP big time , and the people that play it :wub:

I personally thing BI messed everything up ArmA was a big miss, Codemasters have alot more resource that BI, lets hope they spent it wisely. One last thing, from the teaser video the game looks dam nice.

Maybe some of that new GRID game engine got hybrid into OFP 2 ?

• 2 weeks later...

According to Colin @ GR.net PC Gamer Magazine has an 8 page review.

August 2008 issue

another article

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=192228

SITE

http://www.codemasters.com/flashpoint2/uk/...flashpoint2.php

User posted image

User posted image

User posted image

User posted image

User posted image

User posted image

User posted image

User posted image

User posted image

Is this something Spartans are going to want to try? I didn't really get into ARMA because, well, 1: I was forced into it. 2: It took a long time to get into the game and get it started. and 3: It was too much of a departure from my regular FPS that I'm used to playing.

I think I'd love to give this game a go, but I'm just wary of the time I have to spend playing it to have fun, lol. And time is a dwindling resource of mine nowadays, otherwise I'd love to try this out.

well id like to find a game where i can have real fun with and dont lose my temper with, with a none liner gamestyle (where you have very little choice in how u play, like games where u just run about with an asult rifle) and there looks like theres a lot of games coming out in the next while i think im gonna hang back and see what game every one likes then jump on that band wagon if i like it also

Never did the mp side of ofp but I heard talk from Floyd et all that it was mucho fun

I've read the review in the PC Gamer and if they don't bugger it up I am looking forward to this as it sounds like all the best bits of Arma but done properlly and not so complicated.

I would say I am in.

edit There is a comp in PC gamer (COD4) with a cash prize anyone interested in putting a team together. I've not read the full details but wtf I think that we stand as good a chance as anyone.

The german Gamestar magazine has written a very interesting preview about OFP 2. Our newsposter Deadeye was kind enough to translate some of the information that was included in the preview.

American forces are stationed to protect americans working on Skira (oil and gas companies). Without a warning the chinese army invades the island and forces the US Army to retreat. Russia is requesting american support and the USA sends the USS Iwo Jima to the conflict region. The first part of the campaign will be settled during the chinese invasion, whereas you will be part of the American intervention force in the second part.

Facts :

- 220 km² island called Skira (based on a real island)

- 30 Air and ground Vehicles (Ah-1Z, M1A1, M2A3)

- 70 weapons (FGM-148, M 107, Mk 16 Mod 0, Mk 48 Mod 0)

- Dynamic Building Destruction (Buildings do have several desctruction phases)

- destructible trees

- dynamic weather effects

- mud effects (comparison --> Race Driver Grid).

- weapons won't stay shiny all the time... they will get scratches and get dirty while beeing used

- no dynamic campaign

- easy command system with commander overview

- AI uses real military tactics

- Some weapons have to be assembled before it can be used (f.e. the Javelin)

- Gore Limb Dismemberment will be included.

- Source http://www.ofp2.info/

Simply put, if Codemasters get the balance right, FPS & Tactical teamplay across a reasonable distance ( more than COD4 but less than OPF) then I'm in. They need to capture the battlefield colour & atmosphere, the ability to make the player feel like they are there, the sound field is well defined and movement true to OGR, I will be there .

The island OFP2 is based on

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiska_Island

IPB Image

IPB Image

8 page review from PC gamer in pdf format

AWESOME READ :worshippy: this might be the one..... This is a great read, it sounds like CM have this one in top gear. They are pulling out all the stops, the advanced Ego engine to run dual core quad core and octo core in the future. The game is focused on multiplayer PvP or Co-op, the map editor will come with the game.

Download the whole pdf of the review below

bare in mind... Set the battle in your mind

Facts :

- destructible trees

- weapons won't stay shiny all the time... they will get scratches and get dirty while beeing used

- no dynamic campaign

HOT

DOWNLOAD

Click this picture to download (70 weapons) the 8 page review.....

IPB Image

or click this link

http://files.filefront.com/OFP2+Scanspdf/;...;/fileinfo.html

or here if that gets deleted

http://www.legionofspartans.com/images/OFP2_Scans.pdf

Another mag article, but a bit blur....

Magazine PC Zone

CLICK to READ

User posted image

CLICK to READ

User posted image

CLICK to READ

User posted image

Let's take a look at the game's features:

In Operation Flashpoint 2, everything happens for real. If you get shot, you won't hide until

your health regenerates: you'll bleed to death unless you get help.

Soldier, Commander, Pilot? Players will fight as, and command, infantry soldiers in battle,

drive tanks in armoured assaults, pilot helicopters in air strikes, and infiltrate the enemy

in stealthy special operations utilising a wide variety of military weapons, equipment and transportation.

In whatever role, players will experience the fierce and brutal reality of combat, the shock

and awe of modern firepower unleashed on the scale of total modern war.

An immense battlefield: Like real combat, players will engage the enemy across large,

open landscapes. Covering a vast 220 km² island, the Operation Flashpoint 2 environment

is a comprehensive simulation of a real world location creating a living breathing war zone

of immense detail and scope.

# Multiplayer ? yes! Co-op and Versus. Details to be announced.

# Mission editor ? yes! Create your own missions. Details to be announced.

Further details and screenshots overleaf...

Facts :

- destructible trees

- no dynamic campaign

- Source http://www.ofp2.info/

u had me at 30 air and land vehicles

Operation flashpoint will show at E3

June 16, 2008 - Codemasters has revealed its lineup for this year's Electronic Entertainment Expo -- or E3 to you and us. Here's what games the company will have on display, with the appropriate platforms listed alongside them:

* Damnation (PC, PS3, X360)

* Dragonology (DS, Wii)

* Jumpgate Evolution (In partnership with NetDevil) (PC)

* Operation Flashpoint 2: Dragon Rising (PC, PS3, X360)

* Rise of the Argonauts (PC, PS3, X360)

* Wizardology (DS, Wii)

To be held at the Los Angeles Convention Center after a one-year stint in Santa Monica, E3 2008 will kick off on July 14 and carry on through the 17th. For a more comprehensive list of games confirmed to appear at the show, visit our constantly evolving "Big E3 List" and enjoy.

http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/882/882022p1.html

full E3 lineup

http://uk.games.ign.com/articles/880/880004p1.html

viii

As some of u know i was admining ArmA in the old days at the other place and the game in genral had a great setup and the idea of the game was brilliant. We even had some really good nights with 30+ players and with a lot of tactical gameplay. Main thing for it to get the bad rewievs was because i think people compared it too much with ofp. It wasn´t the same game so for us that hasn´t played ofp ArmA was not a perfect game by all means even a 5 year old could hack the game and ruin it for every one else but it had a pretty good engine and ai was good.

I hope that it either is so far from ofp that its not comparable or for the sake of all the ofp fans that its just an evolution of the game with the esentials kept.

Either way i am in :)