Spartans Home

I think I just caught 2 x daytime meteors in film!

Rocky

Haha good one.

How about the odds on that though?

My pointing a timelapse camera at the exact right spot in the sky for the right 30 minutes of today and the clouds clearing JUST in time to catch it. Freaking unbelievable.

Edited by Rocky

ya looks like contrails from aircraft. wow cloudy there. I saw one on the way to work last year, looked like a skyrocket falling fast, kind of looked like when the spaceshuttle burned up rentering the atmosphere.

They are more common then one would think.

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~

Dunno if u r looking at the right thing, but these are not contrails. In fairness, you have to see it on the original movie before uploading has made it blocky.

The main one on the right at 17 seconds actually starts right at the top of the frame, comes down at a 1 oclock to a 7 oclock angle bright and white before blowing in the wind and disapaiting. Contrails dont go vertical, they are horz.

I'll upload the org footage its only 60Mb and you'll see what I mean :)

Here's the original footage without any compression malarky.

https://files.secureserver.net/0sUy5hclHeAYme

If at 17 secs you look to the extreme top of the movie between the sun and the right edge, you can clearly see it come in from the top, come down vertically as it burns up in the atmosphere.

If you think timelapse would miss a meteor, look how slow this one is.

These things don't get caught on film very often, so it's a keeper :)

Edited by Rocky

Could have been. They happen all the time, more then one would think.

The one I saw looked like this, but not as bright. This one in Russia made a hell of a noise rentering. They probley thought they was under attack. Americans launch bomb! LOL!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpmXyJrs7iU

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~

From that angle Rocky, it looks horizontal to me, but eh, what do I know, I am a lawyer not a meteor-ologist (lol, I know, that is a weatherman! lol) or a scientist in that particular field.

If it were going more left to right or right to left you could tell if it were actually changing elevation a little easier, but that high up at that angle I have seen aircraft contrails that looked like that.

I certainly don't know what it was and being an amateur, my opinion isn't well founded, but if I were putting money on it considering the time lapse, I'd say contrail.