Spartans Home

build a steam box £300

adder360~SPARTA~

fair play, i prefer to play at 1440p :)

/edit, sry i kinda get the point of the article, much cheapness low spec etc, but it's kind of pointless the way i look at it because i took it too seriously, it shouldnt even say "steam box" because it's not comparable to any steam box, it should just say build the cheapest pc you can and play games on it in low res like a console except it wont look as nice, and you wont be reaching the minimum specs of games comming out this year let alone in the future. i hate upscaling from 720 from a pc, pretty sure ps and xbox have special hardware upscalers that optimise the display?

Edited by PANiC

Yeh the vids capitalizing on "steam box" but its really just a (pretty good) how to build a cheap PC video.

I've never seen a game running at over 720 on a TV, so I've no basis to compare that with 1080, or over, I know that 720 games like Uncharted look stunning on a big HD telly though so if 1080 improves on that it must be mind blowing.

Edited by Rocky

it should just say build the cheapest pc you can and play games on it in low res like a console except it wont look as nice, and you wont be reaching the minimum specs of games comming out this year let alone in the future.

Catchy ad, you should think about a career in marketing :thumbsup:

As well as performance, I also believe that to be a true Steam Box, it has to be asthetically pleasing. The idea with this is to compete / replace consoles, so you would want something smart to sit under your TV, surely?

I'm seriously considering one of these and will either buy ready built or DIY and if I go the DIY route I'll be investing in a smart HTPC-style case.

Edited by Watchman~SPARTA~