Spartans Home

The joy of sports - must watch!!!

Oh soccer... Nothing like 90 mins of low/no scoring to keep me glued to my seat!

I'd be excited too if the score broke 2 points as well!

Snorrrrrr lol

Edited by XJackerooX~SPARTA~

For most of that video I had no idea what had happened or why everyone was so excited.

It was kind of funny how excited they were. It was impressive though, once they did the replay and I actually understood what happened. Good saves on that one goalie's part.

Oh soccer... Nothing like 90 mins of low/no scoring to keep me glued to my seat!

Snorrrrrr lol

oh boy let me go back and forth two hundred times with a gay ass outfit and lets clash our sabres together. Fencing FTW

I watched the video and read the article and still don't understand what the hell happened.

So resuming for you guys, this match in between leicester and watford had two games and an aggregate score. if the score ended 2-2, leicester would have a shot in going to the premier league in england. So what happened in the video was, the aggregate score was already 2-2, which would put Leicester in the next stage. They had a penalty in their favor at the 96 minute mark, which was 6 minutes of overtime. If the guy had scored, watford would've needed two goals in less than a minute to advance. The whole excitement with the video was that after the penalty was caught by the watford goalie, some defender kicked it forward, and in that same play watford scored in the end. And people say that soccer is boring

Edited by Skazbr~SPARTA~

Im an American. I dont follow football. It was clear what happened and an excellent moment in sport.

That said, Ive never been able to get too excited about watching other grown men chase a leather ball around a field of grass for obscene amounts of money (be they American or European or whatever).

Edited by BrerRabbit~SPARTA~

leicester and watford had two games and an aggregate score. if the score ended 2-2, leicester would have a shot in going to the premier league in england. So what happened in the video was, the aggregate score was already 2-2, which would put Leicester in the next stage.

This is the part that I STILL don't understand.

They had a penalty in their favor at the 96 minute mark, which was 6 minutes of overtime. If the guy had scored, watford would've needed two goals in less than a minute to advance. The whole excitement with the video was that after the penalty was caught by the watford goalie, some defender kicked it forward, and in that same play watford scored in the end.

This part I get, but the score on the tele showed 2-1 in favor, so I am not clear on the aggregate two game thingy.

The promotion play off games are played over two legs, a match at each teams ground.

At the point in the video the match score is 2-1 to Watford but the aggregate score shows as 2-2. This shows that the first match result was 1-0 in Leicesters favour.

So the penalty, if scored would have put the match result at 2-2 and an aggregate result of 2-3 to Leicester, so they would have won promotion assuming Watford could not score again in the dying seconds.

One part of Skaz's explanation that isn't correct is the part about the result staying at 2-2 and Leicester going through to the play-off final. This would be correct using the away goals rule, where the team that scores more goals in the match at the opposition teams ground wins. However, this rule does not apply to English league play off games.

If the match stayed at 2-2 at the end of normal time (including injury time) extra time is played consisting of two 15 minute halves. If the scores still level after that, it goes to penalties to decide.

Edited by Watchman~SPARTA~

The promotion play off games are played over two legs, a match at each teams ground.

At the point in the video the match score is 2-1 to Watford but the aggregate score shows as 2-2. This shows that the first match result was 1-0 in Leicesters favour.

So the penalty, if scored would have put the match result at 2-2 and an aggregate result of 2-3 to Leicester, so they would have won promotion assuming Watford could not score again in the dying seconds.

One part of Skaz's explanation that isn't correct is the part about the result staying at 2-2 and Leicester going through to the play-off final. This would be correct using the away goals rule, where the team that scores more goals in the match at the opposition teams ground wins. However, this rule does not apply to English league play off games.

If the match stayed at 2-2 at the end of normal time (including injury time) extra time is played consisting of two 15 minute halves. If the scores still level after that, it goes to penalties to decide.

I thought that leicester would go to the finals for scoring on the opponents field? You know when you play two matches, a goal in your opponents field is worth two in your own?

I thought that leicester would go to the finals for scoring on the opponents field? You know when you play two matches, a goal in your opponents field is worth two in your own?

You're correct, although it isn't a literal 1 goal equals 2, this is the away goals rule used in most 2 leg cup games.

However, it isn't used in England for the league play-off matches, where there have to be outright winners of each semi progressing to the play-off final.

Snorrrrrr lol

OH BOY!! i suppose American "football" which isnt a ball and is picked up by the hand by overweight ...well FAT asses that hide behind a helmet and such.....and stops every damn 30seconds is awesome! lol rugby union ...now THATS! "american football" for real men!