Spartans Home

Tax return is on the way

Steel~Sparta~

I am as always on a budget so I will be recycling a lot of parts from the old to the new. Lets start with what I have...

AMD Athlon 64x2 6400+ (Windsor)

MSI mobo Socket AM2 (940 pin) 580fx chipset

Memory... 8GBs in 4x2GB sticks

Geforce GTX 560

2 HDDs- a 750GB (OS) and a 1TB (Steam and games)

750W PSU

Vista Ultimate (I know I know but I dont have the issues that everyone else does [shrug])

Case is an Antec P160... no longer in production :-(

The future situation that I must consider.... This upgrade like most that I have to do must last me for several years once complete. The reason is because I have to replace my car this year. I am acustom to this situation (story of my life actually) and so I know to not be an insurmountable task. Budget also means that I will be building a AMD based system again although I have no regrets about this.

Parts that I know that I am reusing are the video card (just bought it in OCT), the memory, the OS, both HDDs and if possible the PSU.

Looking ideas and deals with regards to MB and processor here is what I was thinking.

I think the AMD 990FX chipset the way to go in this case and I have been eyeballing this ASUS mobo... http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0365898

and to it adding this 8 core processor ... http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0375764

or this 4 banger... http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0376784

I have already worked out the case and cooling solution no worries there.

I wanna have this list finalized and bought within the next 2 weeks. Ideas and suggestions are welcome... lets hear'em

Looks good.

Week ago i got fx6100 and asrock 970 mobo.

I'm happy with it. Mby its not speed demon in games but my photo software runs great on it.

I add also revo drive witch speed up OS and aps a lot.

I combine that with raid 0 2x400 gb array where i put all games and not essential software.

It makes huge difference compared to sata 2 hdd i use for this purpose before.

Edited by peter~SPARTA~

If youre gonna buy AMD for the same $$ as a Intel setup....you should def go for the I7 2600 with a lot of games the performance is 30 to 50% better.....for the same money.

Last I checked the I7s were about $100 more than the AMD 8cores and people that I know that have had both say that when playing games the AMD is a bit better.

To me the Intel vs AMD argument is stupid... it is like Ford VS Chevy. meh. Does Intel have the better processor? Most likely, but even that depends alot on outside factors. In my experience, building a fast computer is about reducing or eliminating bottlenecks. Think about it, draining your local reservoir is going to take long time using a 2 inch pipe or even a 2 foot pipe. That is why they have flood gates. In some ways the motherboard is MORE important.

Edited by Steel~Sparta~

Well check again,you do know that 99,99999% of all games coming out the next gazillion years wont even support 2 cpu's let alone 8...that cpu you are buying was made for programs that use all cores....if you dont its actually slower than the generation before it.

When you use a program\game that uses 1 or 2 cpu's you need raw cpu power and thats where the I7 2 600 beats your AMD with ease....but im sure your friends who have had both cpu's would gift you the I7 they dumped,sweet!

You really need good solid core components like CPU, RAM and Mother Board. All the other stuff is easy to work out like cases hard drives, optical drives, etcetera...., that being said IMHO, If you are looking for long lived performance, my recommendations are as follows:

Newegg

Intel i5 2500k - $229.99 8GB 1866 SDRAM - $29.99 Gigabyte Z68 MB = $144.00 ($134.00 AR) Total Investment = $403.98 After rebates = $393.98

Intel i7 2600k - $329.99 8GB 1866 SDRAM - $29.99 Gigabyte Z68 MB = $144.00 ($134.00 AR) Total Investment = $503.98 After rebates = $493.98

You can save even more by purchasing the CPU from a MicroCenter (There is one in Dallas) $249.00/$279.00 respectively (in store purchase only)

MicroCenter

i5 2500 = $179.00

i7 2600 = $279.00

Gigabyte MB = $164.00 (149.99 AR)

= $64.99 ($34.99 AR)

$362 or $462 Respectively

The only additional expense would be for the H-80 Liquid cooler, typically $100

Hope this helps man!

• 2 weeks later...

I have got all the parts save 1... here is the finalized specs.

Intel i7 2600k

ASRock P67 Extreme 4 Gen 3 Motherboard

8GB Corsiar Memory

Corsair H100 sealed watercooling system

OCZ 1000W modular power supply

Antec Lanboy Air case

The case will be delivered on monday. Assembly will begin on the same day.

I would like to thank all of you for your assistance.

I have been running the 6400+ black edition for 2 years or so. Great cpu. Don't need to over clock it , its fast enough allready.

Go Bulldoser 8 core, and asus formula 5 board , ddr3 and sata 3 ssd. 580 vid.

I gave this serious thought and study but the problem that that I run into is 2 fold.

1. The 8 core AMD 8150 is only $20 less than the Intel i7 2600k

2. Sadly the 8 core is a solid disappointment in that it is still outperformed by the i7. There are a few apps that will run better on the 8150 but I dont run any of them. Not one. For general computing and gaming the i7 is the way to go.

As a fan of AMD I have to say that I am a bit sad to leave them but from a personal stand point I see a lot of hype... and not enough performance to justify it. This has been carrying on for a few years IMO and as a consumer I am sick of it.

I remember when AMD top processor was a match for intels top processor but for a third to one half the cost of the cost. Now AMDs top chip is outperformed by the i5 and costs the same. So I am going to vote with my cash.

Sorry AMD but the problem that I see with the your company is to much of your budget is going to the marketing hype dept and not the R&D dept. Believe me the numbers posted don't lie.

An H80 is overkill for an i5 2500k, unless you have space restrictions just get a nice 120mm air cooled HS and your good.

Here is the one I have, they replaced it with a newer model.....

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835103046

I have to respectfully disagree. Because of Steel's geographic location, his average ambient temperature alone warrants the additional cooling. He is also buying a "K" rated chip which infers the intent to overclock. The three main variables associated with a successful overclock are:

• Voltage
  • Temperature
  • Timings

The lower the temperature of the chip, the less need for additional voltage, which is ultimately why semiconductors and prospective semiconductor materials are tested using liquid nitrogen, which is (-346°F and -320.44°F). You will see tests that show comparisons of air coolers being tested against some of the top self contained liquid coolers being sold and for the most part you will not see that large a differential but where the liquid reins supreme is in adverse or extenuating environmental circumstances. Water is the best thermal capacity liquid and is 4 times more efficient than air is at the same job.

A word of advise to ANY of you thinking of buying a new gaming rig:

If over clocking is not your thing, don't waste your money on a "K" category chip. You can still overclock a non rated chip but you lose the ability to perform the over clock by manipulating the multiplier (a far simpler over clock method). A non "K" rated chip will be force you to over clock by adjusting the front side bus timings instead, which offers substantially less overclocking options and adversely effects PCI, PCI-E, memory and other motherboard bus timings.

2cents2.jpg

Edited by Hajimoto

The AMD 8 core runns at 4 gig stock is a unlocked cpu and it takes a $1,000 cpu to out do it . If it really does. All the reviews i saw ran everything at stock nonclocked up and bios on auto, ram on auto. And its limmited probley buy bottlenecks on the board. But its the first of the series so we will see whats up with this intel nauseation for they have been second place for years. give them some lime light for a little wile, so they won't go under. Then it will be second place again soon, then intell will be back to running microsoft office and power point office apps again.

I would like to see what that baby would do water cooled and CLOCKED! 8 cores@ 6gig.

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~

I hate to say it but the 2500k/2600k can keep up with Intel's newest 1000$ model and it stomped the older i7-990x series.

8 cores is not good for gaming. 4 faster cores will always win, atleast in todays gaming market.... which is been going Multicore for way to long...... and still not there

Ok the system is built. Here is the final specs...

Intel i7 2600k

ASRock P67 Extreme 4 Gen 3 Motherboard

8GB Corsiar Memory

OCZ 1000W modular power supply

Antec Lanboy Air case

Antec 920 Watercooler (the corsiar would not fit)

Asus Blueray Burner

Currently I am running the multiplier at x45 (Stock is x35). Completely stable.