Spartans Home

HD problem - help welcome

Batwing~SPARTA~

hey guys,

my g/f hard disk is having a very weird problem in the last few days.

PROBLEM:

When resuming from Sleep (win 7 64) the HD makes sort of scratchy noises, takes very long to try to resume but most of the times completely fails. Shutting down and rebooting it continues to scratch and HD is not recognized on BIOS.

This is sorta random, I cannot recreate it. It does not happens every time resumes from Sleep but actually is happening a bit too often.

WHAT I ALREADY DID:

1 - Used external boot disk to verify HD functioning and booting with external disk HD is working perfectly fine. All folders are working, data is there correctly. I was able to backup all of the major data in that way, so data are safe.

2 - Got HD Tune (trial) and SeaTools for Windows and tested drive. SMART does not report any failure and drive does not report any failure during Seatools testing. No issues with HD Tune either. Scanned for errors on surface, no errors

ONGOING:

Besides the issue when it happens, HD seems to be perfectly healthy. No bad noise of any kind during normal operations and fast and reactive. All data are there. No other kind of crashes

TEMPORARY SOLUTION:

I disabled "Sleep" and enabled "Hibernation" and I want to see what happens with that. Of course this is not a full solution.

Based on the bad noise when HD is failing "I know" I should possibly replace the HD, but due to this stupid prices at the moment, that is not an option.

Any other test I could apply to verify HD healthness is welcome, any other idea is welcome.

I know you've run some HDD diagnostic tools already, but be sure to run chkdsk as well. Any kind of noise coming from the HDD (other than the norm) isn't usually good, but at least it isn't making a clicking sound (ping of death!). You could have bad sectors on it.

However, the fact that the HDD is sometimes not recognized in the BIOS means it is most likely on its last legs, and you should arrange funeral preparations and have it sign its last will and testament.

Sounds more like a board failure than an actual platter problem to me. People seem to forget there is a circuit board on a HD that can fail too.

It is also VERY easy to replace the board if you are confident the actual platters themselves are ok. Just look up the drive on EBay or google and make sure the board is the same and you can get a damaged HD (platters/read errors) for next to nothing.

HDD model number? some of the green/lowpower/low speed/eco/whatever drives did/do have problems waking up. can't remember which off the top of my head, but definately worth searching for your model against resume/wakeup issues.

once upon a time..(noob)

i let the pc go to sleep (button)

Then i turned the power off. (switch)

Turned it on next day ; it said cd key invalid stuff.. (not certified bla bla)

Stop using it !! Win? problem(s)?? (maybe ?)

( what coud help.. reinst.blabla.. )(i did this onces after HD started to make noises it shouden't.)

greetz ..

Like EBE said, when it starts to do something NOT CLASSED AS NORMAL, it is a precursor to something happening, simply put, change the drive/ backup & replace.

HDD should never seem to be doing things that you normally never notice.

If they do, time is near.... (and now on the EBE school of chat),

many years of knowledge comes to mt. Olympus.

If only I'd listened to the voice, I would not be stood in shit.

The day of reckoning is upon you...

Fear the reaper my precious....

:winner_first:

and now for something totally different.....

med_gallery_1_12_124302.png

hehehahhe guys !

OK, maybe i didn t get the best solution.. but reading your comments cracks me up !!!! EBE you are the best Technician ever !! I d love to have you here at our call center providing support to Dell !! hehehahe

oh well, yes, as a few of you pointed out, this drive is seriously close to his last breath.. Today it did it again and it was almost over.

When it is unable to start it makes 3 distinctive "scratchy" noises when PC boots.. like Kcrck... Kcrck... Kcrck and drive is not recognized on BIOS. Then, after several attempts, makes 1 Kcrkc only and finally boots up and then no more noise, it s all fine...

It s almost like the boot track is compromised, so the arm makes several attempts to boot on it.

Digging in my memory, I think the boot sector can be rebuilt, but usually that means it looses all of the addresses, means basicaly like to wipe the entire disk (data would still be on the surface but the boot track would be empty).

Furthermore, being failing, I cannot even say if all of the effort would make any sense.. this can be probably just a dying drive, period.