Spartans Home

Squad management and voice chat in Battlelog ONLY

MedicSN6

http://n4g.com/news/855904/dice-squads-are-only-accessible-on-battlelog-no-squad-management-in-game/com

DICE: Squads are only accessible on Battlelog, no squad management in game.

According to the Battlefield 3 community manager, zh1nt0, the squads can only be managed on Battlelog and not in the actual game.

This means you can no longer create squads/make private squads while in game. You can only join or leave squads.

Hundreds of Battlefield fans are dissapointed and many are cancelling their PC pre-orders right now. Nothing is yet confirmed on how consoles will work. (PC, PS3, Xbox 360)

https://twitter.com/#!/zh1nt0/status/120072134226751488

However, this battlelog feature is not even implemented in the beta, so cannot really be tested how painful or not really is.

So, thing is, when you start the game, you get in the Battlelog first. The Browser itself is the battlelog. You search for your friends or a possible game From the battlelog, finally when you chose your servver game starts as 3D environment.

I didn t understand in full how this Squad selection will work, but so far, not much of a trouble in my opinion. If they give me a chance to get in the squad with my friends before I click on the server, where is the problem ?

What I see here seems like all of the browsing options are disconnected from the 3D environment. Basically they are thinking to use the browser for all of the navigational decision before getting in the game engine.

I do not see it necessarely as a bad thing, is just different.

BEFORE: BC2 example

You get in the game, you choose your Squad within the game and play. If you wanna change Squad you open the Squad management and change it.

NOW: BF3 possible working

You are browsing your battlelog to see if your friends are online, what s going on on servers and choos what game mode you want: PvP, Coop etc.

When you see your friends online, you can join them on their servers. I suppose at that point you should be able to access a Server Info page to see what Squads are on (actually probably disabled). You get on that page, choose the Squad, get in and FINALLY start the game.

If you want to change, I assume you minimize game, make a different selection from battlelog and maximize game (not sure about this..)

After all is just a different way. My question mostly is "is this gonna work??" I have no problem with new stuff, if it works :)

Batwing: Nailed it on the head my friend! It sounds good on paper, let's hope it'll work in practice. Some people may think it's convoluted, but who knows, there's got to be a good reason they went the web-browser route. For all we know the game could be saving a lot of resources by keep the back-end server/stats/browser code in an easy to manage website rather than in the game itself.

We'll see how it all plays out, I'm sure platoons will have even more purpose when squad management and platoon games are implemented.

That's because it was written in Java, which is terrible.

Yep. Minecraft doesn't really play in full-screen. Its within a window that's maxed out to fit the dimensions. Limitation I believe of its graphics library as Java is meant to be parsed within a window constraint.

The squad thing: I'm not sure it matters that much. I don't know how many times I've joined a server and spawns on other team squad leaders. I don't even have a clue how spawning seems to work, since I don't know how many pins I've won for people spawning on me.. and I never knew I was the squad leader, etc.

I'm willing to give Dice the benefit at the moment and assume squad management will work. However, I'd like to see it in the beta just to be sure.

With all it's glitches I'm still enjoying BF3 but the ability to play as dedicated squads is key to what I want, so I'll be somewhat pissed if it doesn't work and I've wasted my £30.