Spartans Home

Battlefield 3 Preformance leak (Graphics)

NoScream~SPARTA~

Interesting post, certainly highlights where I need to go. My current setup is a quad core Q9550, 8gb ddr2 and a Radeon 4870 and based on that I'm going to get mid 20's on DX10.

I've always expected my gfx to be the stumbling block and therefore a pre-launch upgrade. Unfortunately finances have been restricted of late so I can't go silly and need to stay under £200. I've never suffered with any of my ATI cards and have had as many of those as I have Nvidia, so still no preference.

Based on Overclockers UK prices and going right to the £200 wire, I have the following options:

MSI GTX 560Ti 1024mb at £199.00

OcUK Radeon 6950 2048gb at £199.99

Arguably I could maybe stretch another 10% on price but that doesn't get me much more, maybe a brand name for the Radeon but all I've done with these is pick the highest spec (that I can define) for the £200 limit. They both achieve mid 50's fps, so doubling in theory, my current performance.

I'm not that tech savvy to know the details of gfx card performance but I'm interested to know technical preference from the two above. What do you guys think is the best way forward?

Edited by Watchman~SPARTA~

Dang, my GTX470 is kind of lack luster. Good thing I have 2 of them. woot!

Maybe when the GTX 600 series comes out I will upgrade to a single-card dual-GPU configuration, but I really need to get my money's worth out of the cards I have.

Based on Overclockers UK prices and going right to the £200 wire, I have the following options:

Arguably I could maybe stretch another 10% on price but that doesn't get me much more, maybe a brand name for the Radeon but all I've done with these is pick the highest spec (that I can define) for the £200 limit. They both achieve mid 50's fps, so doubling in theory, my current performance.

I'm not that tech savvy to know the details of gfx card performance but I'm interested to know technical preference from the two above. What do you guys think is the best way forward?

Oooo extra 10% then this is the best option for you... MONSTER OPTION 1:

£249.08 Inc VAT ( I inc. your pocket money too).

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/1280mb-asus-gtx-570-directcu-ii-40nm-3800mhz-gddr5-gpu-742mhz-480-cores-2x-dl-dvi-i-dp-hdmi

But careful it occupies 3 slots, 2 slot overhang.

Interesting post, certainly highlights where I need to go. My current setup is a quad core Q9550, 8gb ddr2 and a Radeon 4870 and based on that I'm going to get mid 20's on DX10.

I've always expected my gfx to be the stumbling block and therefore a pre-launch upgrade. Unfortunately finances have been restricted of late so I can't go silly and need to stay under £200. I've never suffered with any of my ATI cards and have had as many of those as I have Nvidia, so still no preference.

The only thing I can tell you is some 6950s have the option to be BIOS modded (extremely simple, 5 seconds job) to become a full 6970.

That is a major plus when it comes to the same money for the Nvidia 560.

If you are not going to Mod it (and really, the only thing is check your model can do it - Sapphire 2GB can -) it s a matter to flip the coin.

If we want to consider all of the story about "bad drivers", which of course I aknowledge but do not confirm on personal experience, is mostly focused at Multi GPU bad support. This one is a good single GPU, so buttom line.. go were you feel more comfy.

They are both excellent cards.

The only thing I will say is NEVER, EVER, EVER upgrade your hardware because of an up and coming game ( with one caveat, if the game is dx11 only and your card isn't then it's a no brainer).

I have a

Q6600 (oc'd to 3ghz)

560ti

Win7 (32bit)

4gb RAM

I played the Alpha on full everything with an average FPS of 60 with VERY occasional dips to 45/50 ish.

Now personally I hope the release candidate is even better optimised than the Alpha was.

So tbh I would try it first before incurring uneccessary costs.

The only thing I will say is NEVER, EVER, EVER upgrade your hardware because of an up and coming game ( with one caveat, if the game is dx11 only and your card isn't then it's a no brainer).

I have a

Q6600 (oc'd to 3ghz)

560ti

Win7 (32bit)

4gb RAM

I played the Alpha on full everything with an average FPS of 60 with VERY occasional dips to 45/50 ish.

Now personally I hope the release candidate is even better optimised than the Alpha was.

Ordinarily I wouldn't upgrade pre game, in fact the only other time I have was through the need to go DX10. However, right from the off with BF3 I've planned the change, I suppose driven by the various vids and the desire for best gfx experience possible.

These figures if accurate only re-enforce that as having been in mid 20's performance before I don't want to be there again.

Having said all that, Overclockers performance has always been good, so a new card could be mine within 48 hours of trying the game on current setup.

The only downside about updating your firmware with a none cert. version is if your card dies, the manufacture voids the warranty, I think it's ok to mod a card out of warranty but new??? no.

I've never mod'd a gfx card so it's not a concern. I'd be happy at mid 50's so either of those cards would suit.

Maybe a 20% stretch is possible but what does that 570 offer, that's assuming I can fit it in the case!

The only downside about updating your firmware with a none cert. version is if your card dies, the manufacture voids the warranty, I think it's ok to mod a card out of warranty but new??? no.

Well,

the HD 6950 comes with 2 BIOS onboard. There is a switch on the card. You can manipulate the "Custom" BIOS, if you wanna call it so, but then there is another ROM BIOS that cannot be touched. In fact, this is done because while Modding, if something weird happen (which really simply means, your card does not boot up), you will switch to the ROM BIOS and all is fine. Then you will revert the Public BIOS to the Stock one and you are done.

However, as I said, there are models simply able to Mod and others not. In order to be sure your model is BIOS friendly, you make a preventive Google search and see what the Internet Community sais about it.

My model was moddable, modded after 5 minutes out of the box and never touched anymore.

If you use the Mod and you read the instructions, there is no way you can screw the card for that. However, buttom line, if you are just a bit concerned about it, just don t do it and go different direction :)

I have a

Q6600 (oc'd to 3ghz)

560ti

Win7 (32bit)

4gb RAM

While I generally agree with you, there is one caveat I totally forgot about. In the Alpha version of the game, those weren't "full" textures, models, shaders, etc we were seeing. The highest setting you could go was "High" (and some weren't even High, they were Medium labelled as High) and I know there will be Ultra/Extreme options, as well as basket full of other DX11 goodies (tesselation, ambient occlusion and the like). So you won't be able to play BF3 on full-blast with a 560 Ti and maintain more than 40 fps.

That being said, the 560 Ti is still an excellent choice for the money. You'll have to turn your gfx down a bit, sure, but I'm sure it will provide you with a generally positive graphical experience. Just not the whole 9 yards. Me personally owning a 560, I'll be upgrading to a higher end 570 once BF3 comes out. Most likely a EVGA 570 Classified. My buddy just got one and it runs considerably better than mine for only 100 bucks more. We did some benchmark testing as we have almost identical builds, just different GPU's. The 580s/90s have yet to prove their worth to me. Sure, there's an average of about 10-15 fps more than a high end 570 with everything cranked, but for 200-300 dollars more? No thanks.

Edited by Rooster90

I run 2x 1920x1200 16:10 aspect monitors, when in game I have one monitor in game full screen & the other with Teamspeak and monitoring programs for Temp, loading on CPU & GPU etc.... I don't think anything less than a 580 would do in my situation, but all of you leave out what SCREEN RESOLUTION you were running ????

It makes a big difference, going

1920x1080 ---> 1920x1200 is 10%

1600x1080 ---> 1920x1200 is 30%

When graphics card 'A' is doing 50 FPS & graphics card 'B' 60 FPS, that is 20% in my book that is a big difference, especially as I'm running two monitors.... But your right, for a reasonable budget a 570 is the best.

I would recommend the 570 GTX after reading about it and seeing the price difference to the 580 GTX.

Oh for sure, if you're running a dual monitor setup, I'd be surprised if you weren't running two video cards (or a 2-in-1 solution). You almost have to and the little performance gains go a long way. I'm talking of course about the average single monitor setup.

I'm using a 19" widescreen monitor, with native resolution of 1440 x 900. Always thought it was a 16:9 aspect ratio but according to the specs it's 16:10. Anyway, there are no plans to replace this in the near future so that's what my card will be driving.

At the moment I'm mostly playing Arma and getting an average of high 30's to low 40's fps and it's comfortably playable for me. Other games at the moment are LFD2, occasional Shift2 and a little bit of BF2142. With these I don't get below 55 - 60 fps constant. Older games like BFBC2, CODMW etc blast along at 70+.

At the moment I'm still planning to stick to my £200 budget, so a 560 or 6950. Using the charts above, jumping to a 570 or 6970 gets me around another 10fps but for an average of an extra £55. To me that's not worth it but as before, I don't fully understand the depth of gfx card specs so does the 570 give me something other than an fps hike.

Rooster, you mentioned that you compared your 560 to a friends 570, saying that the 570 was considerably better. Better than +10fps?

Thanks, Watchy

Yes, his was around 15-20 fps better than mine. However, keep in mind he's using the EVGA Classified 570. It's one of the more expensive 570s and is factory overclocked and performs near base 580 levels. When comparing benchmarks head-to-head on 3DMark 11 his scored 1000+ points higher than mine. Worth the extra money for me at least.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130692

Not sure how much one of these babies runs for in the UK market. But I think you'll be more than happy with a 560 if this 570 is out of your range.