Spartans Home

FaceTrack - Interesting

Not sure if anyone is interested in this, but here's a comment made by someone in the bi Arma2 forums:

Being a TrackIR 5 user I thought I would give this a go as like the creators friend I am sick of being a Borg to use it.

I now have it set up pretty much identical to my TrackIR using the version 1.5 with a PS3 Eyetoy, on the way home from work tonight I will be purchasing a decent 60FPS webcam to replace it.

Long story short, TrackIR 5 for sale.

He also goes on to reccommend the PS3 eyecam, which lists on Amazon for $32 and gets 60fps. I never thought FPS mattered until I hooked it up to my 2003 webcam, and when I turn my head, it literally takes a couple seconds for it to register on screen, then is like stop motion when turning. I got it to work for a bit, though I messed something up and it doesn't work anymore. A little bit of learning left to do :)

It is interesting.

I honestly didn t approach this conversation because I am a TIR 5 user and I am very happy with that. Also i think I don t have a cam good enough to be so precise to catch my movement with the same precision TIR does.

I think TIR 5 is the best way out there to achieve this results, however if this system matched with a decent Cam prove to be valid, it would be a great TIR replacement at cheaper cost.

I can t see how a TIR5 user can even be motivated to mess with it. I mean, one thing is if you have to buy the TIR at about 150 bucks, then definetely you have a good reason to see if this Cam thing works well, but if you got the TIR already, why even bother...

Well...ofcourse that is logical.....but i dont have Track IR lol and ive been wanting to pick up that PS3 cam for years now,but never did cause those psmove games are "blah" ...but now...i might just do it...maybe.

Here's another post on the BI forums I thought was informative:

All I can say is wow!

Congrats and thanks for this! Very easy to get going indeed, I really can't believe how great this is.

Running on a 64bit Win 7 with a Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000. This is what worked for me:

1. Installed the software, set the properties of the icon to run as Administrator (do not run yet).

2. Launched Arma 2 and went to Options>Controls>Controller and enabled FreeTrack.

3. Alt-Tab to desktop and launched the FaceTrackNoIR app and selected File>Open>Arma.ini

4. Tracker source is Face API and Game Protocol Freetrack.

5. Started the Tracker source (click on start on the GUI) and confirmed that it could pick up and follow my face. Minimised the app.

6. Alt-Tab back to Arma and launched single player, editor, placed a unit on a map and voila! It all works.

I found that launching FaceTrackNoIR before launching Arma 2 crashed Arma. Its important to launch Arma 2 first.

I also found that simply by adjusting the position of the webcam helped calibrate my head position.

I'm blown away by the difference this makes and with little or zero cost! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Tup

UPDATE: Ok, I just bought a PS3 Eye at the local walmart and I gotta say it works flawlessly in Arma. Gonna try it out in LOMAC later, but so far so good. There's only a slight lag from the time I move my head to the time it moves, but it's very short and not bad at all. I can't believe I finally have head tracking lol.

but, the ps3 eyetoy is only for the 60fps right? any other webcam, with less fps is prone to work?

http://facetracknoir.sourceforge.net/compatibility/webcams.htm

Here's a list of webcams that have been proven to be compatible, although pretty much any webcam is. I tried one that I had from 2003 and it worked. The only problem was that the fps was really low (15fps) so when I moved my head, it moved like a slideshow. I bought the PS3 eye just because it was capable of going to high frame rates, is meant for gaming, and can pick up in lower light easy, although I'm sure any other regular webcam will do.

The program is free, so all you need is a webcam.

lmao.....i fell asleep 2 nights in a row actually...hahaha im getting old man...its the "heat" upper 70s....we arent used to that shit in April....not in NW Europe...thank God no one listened to Al Gore...keep those Hummers on the road yankee's!!!

This one is for Durka>>>

Operating the PS3 Eye above 30fps:

Quote:

The PS3 Eye camera was designed for gaming and for that purpose, it can give up to 120 fps. However when the Code Laboratories driver is used it normally operates in 'basic' mode, which will max. at 30fps. If you want, you can switch the driver into advanced mode this way:

Create a file called cleye.config in the program-folder of FaceTrackNoIR (the one with with the .EXE in it);

Enter this text in the file and save it:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<cleye>

<item name="mode" value="advanced" />

</cleye>

Run FaceTrackNoIR;

You should keep in mind that a higher framerate will also require more CPU-power. We only recommend it for faster gaming-machines (quad-core or higher). We would appreciate any feedback from users, who have tried this...

Well...its wobbbbbllllyyy as hell...

Why did you buy the whole suite? They sell the individual camera, you know :) I was pretty wobbly too, but I think that's all in the settings. Try the settings at the bottom of this forum post and see if that helps any. It will take soe tweaking.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?p=1902873#post1902873

Haji track ir is £150 and my wife would cut my love spuds off, if however i say darling would you like a webcam for your birthday

Why did you buy the whole suite? They sell the individual camera, you know :) I was pretty wobbly too, but I think that's all in the settings. Try the settings at the bottom of this forum post and see if that helps any. It will take soe tweaking.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?p=1902873#post1902873

I have a PS3 and it was only 10bucks more :C)

I used those settings the guy posted.....

Edited by EL_n00biachi