Spartans Home

Glastonbury 2011

Who is closest to this festival? I may sell my kidney for plane tickets this year and will require a place to shack up for a night before I backpack to the festival. Because really, who needs 2 kidneys?

I did notice that The Prodigy isn't playing this year which saddens me.

Durka, it's where all the hippies gather to get stoned and role in the mud!

Although since it went more commercial it's become less "free-love" and more "expensive-experience"

Yankee, I assume you will have tickets in advance, as you stand very little chance of getting something on the day.

As for q place to stay, not sure who resides in the south-west but you need to get as close as possible, a local campsite for a night might be a better option if no one is within 10 miles. Glastonbury is in the middle of nowhere and the festival makes travel nearby an absolute nightmare. I've known of people take 6 hours to cover the last 30 miles or so, advance planning is the key to a Glasto visit these days.

I live near Glastonbury and Watchy is right - aim to arrive early and with pre-bought tickets - there is no paying on the door{gate} as the festival is always over subscribed. Durka, LOL you were only fifty miles and 4,500 years out with your comments [stonehenge 2500BC - Glastonbury 1970]

Significant logistical operations take place to bring people into the festival by public transport each year. Additional festival trains are provided to Castle Cary railway station, mostly from London Paddington. The station operates as a mini hub with waiting shuttle buses transferring passengers from Castle Cary to the festival site as required. This is an intensive operation on the Wednesday and Thursday each year with many local bus and coach operators providing these buses over the two days. Additional extra buses normally provided by Go South Coast run from Bristol to the festival. On the Monday, passengers are transferred back in just one day with additional buses provided to meet the increased requirement.

Most people who stay at Glastonbury Festival will camp in a tent. Campsite accommodation is provided in the cost of a standard entry Glastonbury Festival ticket but festival-goers must bring their own tents.

The Glastonbury Festival 2011 will take place from Wednesday 22nd until Sunday 26 June 2011. The tickets for Glastonbury Festival 2011 were sold out within 4 hours of going on sale on Sunday 3 October 2010. Headline acts for 2011: Friday night : U2, Saturday Night: Coldplay, Sunday night : Beyoncé

Edited by andrewman~SPARTA~

Update and more bad news

The festival will not be held in 2012, giving the site and organisers a "fallow year". Michael Eavis cited the shortage and likely cost of portable toilets and policing, due to the 2012 Summer Olympics, as being amongst the reasons

You could come to the Olympics !!

Andrew "crusher of young dreams" man, thanks for the updates. Someday I will get to see how differently music is appreciated in Europe. Watched the Muse concert at Wembley and was blown away. Saw them live in Dallas and the crowd was talking and texting through the whole thing.