Spartans Home

Idea for GR:IT missions video(s)

Fatal_Papercut~SPARTA~

Howdy,

After I had the opportunity to play Lighty's GR:IT mission #2, I was kicking myself for not recording it with Fraps. I would like to take part in another mission, but only as a "cameraman". I know it's possible to implement a script so that one player has a free-floating camera, and I've spent some time practicing it's use and customizing the controls to suit my tastes. I've PM'd Lighty asking him if he would modify one of the missions so that we can try this.

Obviously, I will also be recording the TS feed, but I will have myself muted. I wouldn't want to give away any intel and spoil everything!

Ok, let's try to make this happen!

Due to commitments during the middle of this week (including a DoW2: Retribution review), the earliest I think I would be available is Friday. Saturday and Sunday are open as well, and if needed, we can wait until the following week.

I've asked Lightspeed to add a "cameraman" to Mission #2. In fact, if I had the .pbo files for the mission, I think I could make the mod myself. I know we've run this before, but it is a damn good mission, and familiarity increases our chance for success (and makes for a more interesting video than one where everybody dies).

So for now, I'll ask: who is up for trying this on Friday, March 4th? I'm guessing the usual start time of 3pm EST/8PM BBT will work? Will this conflict with CoDBlOps Fridays? We'll also need someone that has access to resetting the server and getting missions running.

@Lighty: just to safe, could you please post a reply with links (even if it's a previous thread) to the files needed for the mission? I've participated in the mission before, so I think I have everything, unless something has changed.

i will try to be there.

i will add cameraman to more missions i think - bcoz there are still some cracking missions to come.

i played mission 3 with a few the other day - and that has such a good GR-feel and is a gr8 mission too.

just to let you know - i have a lot of the updates finished for first 3 missions so will upload those by this weekend - will be good test to see if they are improved enough and running properly too so i can finish all updates on other missions.

Fatal if you want to see the missions file it will be in the missions cache just unPBO it

C:\Users\Ian\Documents\ArmA 2 Other Profiles\Custard\Saved

Obviously edit Ian and custard :thumbsup_anim:

Here is a small animation of a Sparta Logo I made with Cinema 4D. Maybe you can use it as intro or something. It has been rendered in a very poor resolution (320 x 240 pixels) just for a kind of preview. If there is interest I can render it again in a much better resolution. I can also change the camera position and the amount of time for the fragments coming together. I just thought it could be of use for intros featuring Sparta videos. Maybe there could be added some cool music or bits of sound...

Or if you have a cool idea for another animation like a "Ghost Recon: Island Thunder" animation for an intro let me know and I will try to create something suitable. But I have to admit I am not a professional. Just a hobby!!!

sparta_film_1.rar

Here is a small animation of a Sparta Logo I made with Cinema 4D. Maybe you can use it as intro or something. It has been rendered in a very poor resolution (320 x 240 pixels) just for a kind of preview. If there is interest I can render it again in a much better resolution. I can also change the camera position and the amount of time for the fragments coming together. I just thought it could be of use for intros featuring Sparta videos. Maybe there could be added some cool music or bits of sound...

Or if you have a cool idea for another animation like a "Ghost Recon: Island Thunder" animation for an intro let me know and I will try to create something suitable. But I have to admit I am not a professional. Just a hobby!!!

Very nice! Is there any way you could include a Spartan helmet in the animation, such as the one in the website banner? I would need the final render in 1080p; any file format will do,

Very nice! Is there any way you could include a Spartan helmet in the animation, such as the one in the website banner? I would need the final render in 1080p; any file format will do,

To do the helmet could need some time because I need to put geometric objects like cubes and spheres together but it is definately doable. I can do it also the other way round like let it burst into thousands fragments...

Check this preview of Exploding Sparta Logo...

Sparta_Ani_1.rar

what mission did you have the camera view Fatal - im having trouble finding the script - if i know mission i can look at what is required.

by Friday this week i should have 9-player coop for at least 6 missions which i will upload here for Zeno to put on server.

Andrewman and I tried Rapid Python GR:IT 5 and could not find Ordonez, the following script error occured

Error in expression

bad1 dofire pow1

bad2 dofire pow1

bad3 dofire pow1>

Error position:

bad3 dofire pow1>

Error Missing ;

File mpmissions\__CUR_MP.lingor\scripts\nocaptive.sqf, line 4

At that point we had not engaged nor had we been detected by the enemy.

what mission did you have the camera view Fatal - im having trouble finding the script - if i know mission i can look at what is required.

by Friday this week i should have 9-player coop for at least 6 missions which i will upload here for Zeno to put on server.

Sorry, I don't understand your question.

However, as far as I can tell from my own testing, the only modifications that need to be done to any mission are these:

1. Add an extra soldier in a safe place on the map, preferably far away from any of the AOs or any other place he is likely to be spotted by patrols and such.

2. Add the camera.sqs tag to that soldier's unit info:

this exec "camera.sqs";

I've spent time modifying and practicing the camera controls. The only downside is that I don't know of any way to get rid of the "cinematic border". One thing I tried that worked during preview and single-player modes was simply restarting the mission. However, when I tried doing this in multiplayer mode, the border stayed. No big deal, though.

** EDIT ** I will be here, ready and waiting to go on Friday. If we have enough people to run a mission, we'll do it.

@ Lighty: again, just to be safe, could you please post links in this thread for the add-on's we'll need? I think either mission #2 or #3 will be fine. We just need something that takes place during daylight hours so that there won't be any issues with poor footage due to bad lighting. Thanks!

Edited by Fatal_Papercut~SPARTA~

I'm on call till 10pm and it's BlacOps night so I will make the next one :United_Kingdom:

Saturday I intend to play a mission or two :thumbsup_anim:

I've spent time modifying and practicing the camera controls. The only downside is that I don't know of any way to get rid of the "cinematic border". One thing I tried that worked during preview and single-player modes was simply restarting the mission. However, when I tried doing this in multiplayer mode, the border stayed. No big deal, though.

The command you are looking for is: showcinemaborder false;

However it does not work if you activate the camera via the initialization box of your player unit.

Just for a test:

Open your Arma2 mission editor. Place your unit on the map. name the unit s1.

Place a trigger:

Axis a = 0

Axis b = 0

Activation: radio Alpha

On act: s1 exec "camera.sqs"; showcinemaborder false;

Preview:

Just hit 0-0-1 and you should be good. Hope this helps!!!

thank you Zeno!

will test this out tonite

Andrewman and I tried Rapid Python GR:IT 5 and could not find Ordonez, the following script error occured

Error in expression <pow1 setcaptive false;

bad1 dofire pow1

bad2 dofire pow1

bad3 dofire pow1>

Error position: <bad2 dofire pow1

bad3 dofire pow1>

Error Missing ;

File mpmissions\__CUR_MP.lingor\scripts\nocaptive.sqf, line 4

At that point we had not engaged nor had we been detected by the enemy.

and sorry about this - never happend when i tested - i h8 it when players have to find out the bugs. grrrrrrrrrrrr

update - found the error - so stupid!! but fixed now :)

Edited by Lightspeed~SPARTA~