Spartans Home

INSURGENCE

EBE

If i may suggest .

The insurgence map is too big..?

Maybe we need only a couple of BIG (huge) (6to8..?)towns too clean up ... (so not so many small (red) squares.. )

and more weapons ..? (not only english weapons)

its just an idea greetz..

You're mutch to kind

they burn there paths upon our eyes ,

But someday we will all understand they aren't telling us lies...

• 2 weeks later...

i thought i'd stop in and tell you all where frenchie and i sit on the insurgency tweaks.

1. in regards to the end of the map, we may have a interim solution, but we're still testing it. the current ending launches debug mode. we believe we have found the source of this, but still have not proven it 100% stable.

2. the weapons selection will likely prove limited for a while more. the mapmaker barely even touched the editor in the creation of this map. as a result, there is a huge amount of scriptwork running behind the scenes. it's also a bit of a pain in the ass to read, nevermind tracking down what file reads what other file to create the weapons list. as of yet, we have had no joy in adding new weapons to the list. in fact, our attempts have only disabled the list entirely. :wallbash:

3. play on zargabad. the map, and the scriptwork, wasn't designed with taki in mind.

current priorities are as follows:

1. give the map a proper ending, vice going into debug mode, and breaking the game entirely. we will hopefully have an interim fix up before the 1st of the year. (speaking of, zeno, we need to have a word with you. that fix is extremely simple.)

2. weapons loadouts. if there's anything in particular you want, either post it here or PM it to me. we'll add them as soon as we figure out the scriptwork.

bottom line, we're working on fixes (and simultaneously learning how to script A2:OA.) this is going to take a bit of time. please bear with us.

zeno, i saw your other post involving some basic wall protection around the HQ (new server map hosting post.) we'll look into that as well. biggest problem will be figuring out how to spawn/despawn walls around the base. the interim solution may be to figure out how to get the HQ to spawn in pre-existing walls (e.g. the military base.)

Jeff

Edited by jealco

Wow, this is a great support Jealco, Thx so much for your help!

About the defensive walls, I guess there is a misunderstanding there. In this Map you can move the "base" around.

I think the mapmaker project was you spawning there at the very beginning and then take action to re-position the MHQ in a safer position.

Also, in my opinion, having the base under attack on this map makes way more sense. Taking that as a real possibility, the strategy on how move - defend base has to be different from simply put walls around it, aka who is alive, need to come back to base, defend it to allow teammates to spawn and possibly move it away to different safer location.

However, you can look at the script to "deploy sandbags" on the vehicles. I think it would be a realistic form of defense around a mobile HQ. They are small defenses, but you can go prone behind them ;)

batwing, the sandbag script may be feasible. i'll have to look at that actually.

peter, there is a way to add civilians. i have played an insurgency server with them. i'll unpbo that map sometime soon and see if i can transfer the civilians over. i'm going to warn you, though, that if its not something simple, its currently beyond our ability.

i think the 110NV would be a reasonable replacement to the M24, just because this version of zargabad is DARK without NV lol. just to be clear though, we're not going to remove the total limit on sniper rifles. otherwise, everyone will snipe (notably public players not on TS) and nothing will ever get accomplished. also, we already have the M1014 shotgun on the list. we may add the AA-12 as well, but that thing is rather overpowered when you're unloading on human opfor. we'll experiment with it and see.

as a last note here: if any of the experienced map makers (notably ones with knowledge of scripting) have a little time to spare, we'd appreciate the help. it would definitely speed this process up a bit. thanks!

Jeff

Civillians would be great, but guy be adviced... If we dont see civillian environment around, there is probably a reason.

I tried to implement civillians in some map I was working on and their behavior resulted quite erratic, car or truck traffic was not consistent and it was going to weight on the game performances as objects and units for the AI to control.

Finally, powerful computers may not suffer too much from civillian presence, but medium range machine might.

To make a belivable scenario with civillians you should add many of them, in the order of "hundreds", doesn t make sense to have 2 or 3 civillians popping up here and there. So, think about it but consider the backdraws.

OR...

If exist a script able to generate and spawn a number of civillian within a 200 mtrs radius from player location, keeping the area crowded, but at the same time claening up other areas not involved in the action, to balance the CPU work.

That would be amazing .. crowd on demand :)

I am not a programmer and I leave this difficult test to someone else :)

actually, durka, there's a script in one of the various insurgency maps that spawns the civilians with the enemy AI. by the way, batwing, the enemy AI is actually scripted to spawn only when BLUFOR units are within 500m of any given location, but not less than 50m from the spawn point. in english, they can spawn in any building in a red square within 500m of you, if it isn't within 50m of you.

we think they simply replaced some of the hostile AI with civilian AI. as for vehicle traffic........we'll have to look at it.

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...