Spartans Home

FC2 - What should be programmed on your HOTAS?

Batwing~SPARTA~

Hey there,

This is oriented to new pilots, trying to figure out what to put on Joys and HOTAS.

I can help only for A10 and F15 - If anyone else has a strong knowledge of russian birds, is very welcome to post here other suggestions.

Suggestions here are a very personal matter. How program them and on what botton is up to you. I will try to tell you what you need to have on point of your fingers.

You may need to create 2 different profiles with your Joystick software depending on what airplane you want to fly - F15 or A10 -. This mostly depends on what HOTAS do you have. The 2 aircraft are very different because F15 of course has commands related to AIR to AIR and A10 has commands related to AIR to GROUND.

Let s start.

F15

You should set 2 modes if you can:

NAV

AIR to AIR

However, a few commands should be always available besides what mode are you on:

AIR BRAKES

RADAR CURSOR CONTROLS

SWITCH TO AIR TO AIR

SWITCH TO NAV

On the NAV mode I would suggest to assign bottons for:

Next Waypoinnt - Flaps - Gears - Wheels brakes

On the AIR to AIR mode I would suggest to assign bottons for:

Switch Weapons - Cannon ON/OFF

Radar ON/OFF - Switch Radar to TWS - Radar Distance - Radar Azimuth Antenna controls - BVR mode - BORE mode - (othere modes if you have enough bottons to use) - Lock Target - Release Weapon (Launch) - Cannon Trigger

ECM ON/OFF - Deploy Chaff/Flare continously ON/OFF

A10

Here we focus on AIR to Ground, keep in mind A10 lacks any form of Radar, so, you don t have to set those commands. However the radar Cursor Controls now control the target acquisition for Maverics and Bombs. You will not be using Air to Air if is not a critical emergency, so give priority to Air to Ground commands.

A few commands should be always available besides what mode are you on:

AIR BRAKES

CURSOR CONTROLS

SWITCH TO AIR TO GROUND

SWITCH TO NAV

SWITCH TO AIM-9 IR seeker (#6 on keyboard)

On the NAV mode I would suggest to assign bottons for:

Next Waypoinnt - Flaps - Gears - Wheels brakes

On the AIR to GROUND:

Switch Weapons - Cannon ON/OFF - Zoom +/- for Maveric D camera - Switch CCIP/CCRP Mode

ECM ON/OFF - Deploy Chaff/Flare continously ON/OFF

Lock Target - Release Weapon (Launch) - Cannon Trigger - Select Bombing Mode (Single, Ripple etc.) - Bombing Delay in ms - Release Quantity

On the Air to Air mode:

Release Weapon (Launch) - Cannon Trigger

Not too much here. The AIM9 is in IR acquisition, no aircraft control, meaning you just have to put your target on your HUD and if is in range (about 3 miles) will lock. As I said, Air to Air here is defensive emergency.

Alright. this should give you a basic idea about what you need and also what you need to learn to use, of course :)

Good luck :)

Edited by Batwing~SPARTA~

No, my friend, i m sorry.

I have an x45 myself, but then any real allocation for your commands really belong to you and the way you feel more comfy with your device.

However, here we have the Super Solid Hajimoto, who owns your same joy and possibly could share with you his profile. get in touch with him for more support :)

Thanks for your input Batwing

I only have 10 buttons (until I can get my hands on the tastier Saitek)

Joystick - B1 fire cannon

Joystick - B2 release weapon

Joystick - B3 view centre

Joystick - B4 weapon change

HOTAS - B5 cannon

HOTAS - B6 target lock

HOTAS - B7 Alt Hold

HOTAS - B8 Airbrake

HOTAS - B9 Next waypoint

HOTAS - B10 Lockon nearest ground target (hasnt worked yet)

To increase my buttons I tried programming my 360 controller for weapons (targetting especially), but because I left the 360s joystick control on it interferred with flight (so I will clear the joystick)

I did some landings and takeoffs in the A10, all visual so far since I cannot figure out the ILS at this time. This is obviously my first priority. Once I get this down pat I will practice navigation, then weapons. I should be able to actually join in combat by 2012

I have to admit I am simultaneously practicing flying in the black shark, but at this stage I am just trying to fly the sucker.

HOTAS - B10 Lockon nearest ground target (hasnt worked yet)

If your using the A10 there is no targetting other than MK1 Eyeball, so you can't switch between targets

I did some landings and takeoffs in the A10, all visual so far since I cannot figure out the ILS at this time. This is obviously my first priority. Once I get this down pat I will practice navigation, then weapons. I should be able to actually join in combat by 2012

ILS makes things a lot easier for me takes a lot of the guess work out of landing, although a few times I have had to land without a HUD due to damage :MSNCRY:

@ Zeno:

How do you move your cursor and how do you look around ?

Forget about yout B10 command, thhat is in simplified mode, not Simulation, and you will never fly the simplified mode ;)

Remove the B7 and leave it on the keyboard. Lacking of bottons, you want to have something more difficult to address than simply hit H on keyyboard.

Put "release chaff/flares continuosly" on B7

About ILS, you engage hit pressing 1 when in proximity of your airport. If you are following a flight plan and your last WP is the landing strip, ILS should engage automatically after you fly over your last WP.

Although ILS is a great help with low visibility, the best approach is visual. Visual your best friend is the "Path marker". Put it where you want your plane goes, like at the beginning of the runway, and then handle speed and AOA to get there slow and smooth. Always use full flaps down and airbrakes.

Approach is a lot of play with throttle, push and release. Then finally when you are on the runway, cut off your engine, pull your nose never more than 10 AOA and let it gently touch down. If you respect your speed around 150 the touch down is very nice and smooth.

As soon as your steering wheel is down, engage breaks and taxi out runway as soon as you can.

New layout for evaluation, the idea is to switch to the xbox controller for the ATG attack.

Joystick

1 Fire cannon

2 Release weapon

3 Centre cockpit view

4 Cannon

HOTAS

5 Navigation mode

6 Longtitudinal missile aiming

7 Air to ground

8 Next waypoint

9 Countermeasure continously dispense

10 ECM

11 Flaps

12 Airbrakes

Xbox 360 controller

A Weapon release

B Target lock

X Weapon change

Target designator

Y Centre view

LB Zoom out

RB Zoom in

POV left, right, up, down

hey Zeno, can you post a picture of your Joy?

At first glance my thought is that having to handle to controls with only 2 hands sounds a bit "complicated".

I think you should have the weapon release (launch) on the joy, because you will find yourself making a lot of directional adjustment with the joy and you want to have that definetely easy to reach to release when is the right moment.

when i will see your joy, i can give you some more suggestions :)

I See that joy can be programmable.

I think you need to dig the software and create a profile. You have some decent capability there, but you cannot try to fly using:

1 - Joy + Throttle 12 bottons

2 - Xbox controller

3 - Mouse to look around

4 - keyboard for additional commands

all at the same time. I don t know if you are an octopus or you realize that your experience is going to suffer, to say it in a nice way.

To look around you need to use the HAT botton on your joy.

To move the radar cursor or the target designator for the A10 you need to use the HAT as well, but you need to program it using a combo Key, like CTRL + HAT UP to move cursor UP and so forth. So when you use it without CRTL you just look around, When you Press CTRL that control the cursor.

You need to program each one of those 12 bottons to work with CTRL and possibly SHIFT and maybe ALT commands.

This way you multiply 12*3 if you need, having 36 commands ON 1 DEVICE used by the same hands.

You will need also to remap the FC2 commands to match what you programmed on your Joy.

It will take 2 or 3 hours, but i can tell you you will be HAPPY.

I had to do this when I was flying with the logitech Extreme 3D. Same programming. CTRL, SHIFT and ALT are the key to keep it all there and have what you need

1 bottn may have: Normal= Airbrakes --- CTRL + = Wheel Brakes --- ALT + = Flaps up 'n down <-------------- This is just an organized example

Think about this solution and try to optimize your controls :)

Final setup (?) lol

Joystick

POV look around

1 Fire cannon

2 Release weapon

3 Centre cockpit view

4 Cannon

HOTAS

5 Navigation mode

6 Longtitudinal missile aiming

7 Air to ground

8 Next waypoint

9 Countermeasure continously dispense

10 ECM

11 Flaps

12 Airbrakes

Target designator

L-Ctrl + 2 target lock

L-Ctrl + 3 Target designator to centre

L-Ctrl + 4 weapon change

L-Ctrl + 11 zoom in

L-Ctrl + 12 zoom out

L-Ctrl + POV left, right, up, down

Interesting solution.

really is more a matte of testing now. the more you get used to it, the more you will see what are the commands you need the most and then you will figure out where they have to be to be cmfyy.

Question:

when you say "longitudinal Missile Aiming" is that a misunderstanding? there is the longitudinal missile mode (i believe is 5 on keyboard) but that first of all is working with radar (A10 does not has it) and second is a mode that allow you to lock a target on top of your head, so called "lift vector" which iis useful only when you are pulling an high G turn and your target happen to be vertically on top of your head (far away from your nose).

The only Missile mode you have on A10 is the IR tracker (#6 on keyboard) and will try to lock in front of your nose at vry close distance (somewhere between 5 and 3 nm away)

Edited by Batwing~SPARTA~

Started in MS Excel, based on some template I came across.

See screenshots. Comments welcome, as I need to allocate quite some more buttons/combinations.

In case anyone interested, let me know (with your email) per PM and I'll send it out.

SAITEK's X52 PRO

3 MODES (Navigation, Air-to-Air, Air-to-Surface)

Below the one for F-15 (work in progress)

1.png

2.png