Spartans Home

iPad

Durka-Durka~SPARTA~

Here's Dell's new offering, and I have to confess after about 2min looking at it I nearly coughed up the bones for it.

http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-duo/pd?refid=inspiron-duo&baynote_bnrank=0&baynote_irrank=1&~ck=dellSearch

Unfortunately, it's a great concept that is limited by software, weight, cheap screen, and a missing SD card slot. Most of the reviews say it's almost there, but misses slightly. ("there" being the perfect tablet)

I'm still holding out on the Notion Ink Adam, but I'm not expecting much. They're expected to start taking orders on the 6th, but who knows. I'd love to get that Dell, though. I suspect 2012 will be "the year" for this sort of stuff.

If Microsoft came out with an operating system that was condusive to tablet pcs, it would rock. They've made that Windows phone, so who knows *shrugs*

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just ordered aPad fom ebay as a gift for my wife . It,s cheap thats sure

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-7-E-pad-Touch-screen-Tablet-MID-WiFi-Android-8G-/290508262205?pt=US_Tablets&hash=item43a3a44b3d

I give her normal size laptop last month , but she still cannot lift anything so i figure out its a good alternative for browsing web and use skype.

• 1 month later...

So I've been holding out for the perfect tablet PC, and there are a lot of them out there, but none that really are a match for what I want. They all have flaws which is dumb, but I have a suspicion it's due to price. But even that's a big factor. The Notion Ink Adam, to me, seems to be a failure of the manufacturing and marketing, not necessarily the product, but even that came out with flaws I didn't expcet. But it has a great price tag .$550 for the most expensive one.

There are a bunch coming out this year, and like I said, they all have a flaw or two that just seems stupid. I didn't buy the Ipad because it was so expensive and didn't even offer ports such as USB or even an SD card. The lady at the store told me that SURE I could have a USB connection, but I'd have to buy this nifty device for $35 to do so. That's more than an 4gig USB drive. Silly and offensive. I've been looking around, still, and I'm thinking that if the price remains low, I'll be getting the Toshiba tablet this spring.

http://thetoshibatablet.com/

It seems to have all the ports necessary, plus a HD screen with the new Android OS installed. One cool feature is that it has a rubber backing so it doesn't slip, like other devices. Of course, this all hinges on the price of the thing, which could make/break it. If it's below $600, I'll probably get it. A dollar higher and I'll pass and get a $400 netbook.

Very nice tablet indeed.

Although the teaser is very well done, is missing some key info i would consider before spending any money on a Tablet today.

I want to know:

1 - CPU = I want dual-core around 1 Ghz speed

2 - RAM = I want 1 GB on board (I might compromise for above 512 MB)

3 - GPU = Depending on manufacturer, however so far the system TEGRA 2 proved great performances and I would "prefer" that.

All of the rest is mostly cosmetic stuff, capturing your eyes but not giving long life to your product.

You buy something that does not respect those points above and you buy something today that is already obsolete tomorrow.

Very nice tablet indeed.

Although the teaser is very well done, is missing some key info i would consider before spending any money on a Tablet today.

I want to know:

3 - GPU = Depending on manufacturer, however so far the system TEGRA 2 proved great performances and I would "prefer" that.

All of the rest is mostly cosmetic stuff, capturing your eyes but not giving long life to your product.

You buy something that does not respect those points above and you buy something today that is already obsolete tomorrow.

I just read somewhere that there will be a WIFI only version of the Galaxy Tablet.

Very nice tablet indeed.

I want to know:

Yeah, there's a spec sheet out there somewhere for the Toshiba. It has the Tegra 2, not sure about the CPU though. One cool thing is it has a built-in GPS and compass, which should really be standard for any tablet out there. I'm still not totally convinced on the tablet genre, but I'm thinking within a year or two they'll be the new norm.

Here it comes a fascinating device from Sprint....

The Echo

http://www.gforgames.com/gadgets/sprint-kyocera-echo-overview-4577/

and video:

Now, i was very excited about it, but then I saw the specs:

■1GHz Snapdragon CPU

■512 MB of RAM

■1 GB of onboard memory and an included 8GB microSD card

■5 MP camera with flash, autofocus and digital zoom

■720p HD video recording capability

■3G network and Wi-Fi (802.11 b/g)

■Wi-Fi hotspot for up to five devices

■a 1370 mAh spare battery

■low-profile charging cradle.

and a sort of bitter taste in my mouth... Why a such innovative device is not using the innovative technology??

Such high expectations, managing multitasking to a new level, handling 2 screens and a large surface (900 * 800 in tablet mode) and what I see is a single core 1 Ghz (new generation Snapdragon at least..) and 512 RAM... Why that?

Then, no front camera and a 5 MP rear one while the largest competition runs on 8 MP. No 4G either.

It is a very interesting device tho... I will certanly keep an eye on it

I will need one PAD, probably just going to wait for apple to release the new IPAD with multitasking and all that was missing from the first.

I was thinking the same thing, but I just doubt they'll ever fix what's missing. Ipad seems to me to be more about looks and status, at the price of usability. When they come out with the new ipad, I can almost guarantee it won't have a full SD slot, or a full USB slot. That hampers things quite a bit. Of course you can hook a USB up to the current one, but you have to pay $35 for the friggin connector, which is more than what you'd pay for the actual USB key in the first place. The ones i've handled have great screens, but they're slippery and a bit too thin. Its like they went all for asthetics and expected folks to go along with the unusability of it. Plus it's a bit too pricey. If I can get a good tablet for around $500, I will, but I'm not paying upwards of $7-800 for a status symbol.

The one thing its got going for it is the apps that are available, but I've heard even some of that is pretty restrictive.

EDIT: I should've put "IMO" in there somewhere. I know how some can get riled up about apple both for and against, and it can be like talking politics sometimes.

ipad & ipad2 is SEXY, BEAUTIFUL, 10hours battery, 1000's of appz, Loads of fun, but it's also

RESTRICTIVE, LOCKED into APPLE WORLD, NO USB, NO THIRD PARTY, NO HOME BREW, it's like the ipod, you

need a shitty itunes type app on a PC to talk to it.

NOW, here's a spanner for you:

http://www.engadget.com/features/tablets-at-ces-2011/

Competing this year to muscle up to and past the IPAD LOCKED iOS 4.2.1

Android 3.0 (Homeycomb by google)

Android 2.3

Android 2.2

Android 2.1

Windows 7

Ubuntu

Linux

ALL OPEN FORMAT OS

MY FAVOURITE

ACER - Iconia Tab A500

Release April 15th 2011 Wifi version, I will use MIFI with it.....

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/three-e585-mi-fi-pay-as-you-go-mobile-broadband-modem-3gb-07203761-pdt.html?srcid=867&xtor=AL-50&istCompanyId=9a35962d-802d-4e67-9721-0a3328ca1f02&istItemId=mrprrpa&istBid=t

Running Tegra250 (1GHz) Dual core Nvidia CPU ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_Tegra ) & Honeycomb ( Android 3.0 )

Nvidia Core, Android OS, Open source apps. FULL SIZE USB/ MICRO USB/ MINI HDMI/ HEADPHONES JACK/ MICRO SD HC SLOT (128GB max) / MOBILE 3G SIM SLOT.

5M pix CAMERA, 2M pix Front cam/ e compass/ Accelerometer / 8-10 Hours battery/ 1080p via HDMI PORT / 1GB RAM / 16GB SSD / WiFi.

GYROSCOPE / AUTO LIGHT SENSOR.

SCREEN 10" 1280x800 LED backlight LCD.

The OS will be ANDROID 3.0 (code named HONEYCOMB)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4NqT6u_ODk

Another alternative contender against the ipad/ ipad2

Motorola Xoom running Android Honeycomb 3.0

- Brand Motorola

- Model XOOM

- Weight 730g

- Dimensions 249.1 x 167.8 x 12.9 mm

- 1080p HD support

- 10.1” 1280×800 resolution

- 10 hr video playback battery life

- 1 GB RAMM

- 32 GB inbuilt memory with microSD Card slot for upto 32GB additional memory

- 2MP video calling camera

- Bluetooth V2.1

- Corporate Sync, Wi-Fi 2.4GHz & 5GHz 802.11b/g/n

- 5 MP Rear camera with Flash and 720p HD video capture

- Android 3.0 Honeycomb

- Dual Core 1 Ghz CPU NVIDIA Tegra 2

- 3G, 4G LTE upgradeable, 802.11n w/Personal Hotspot

- 720p capture/1080p playback/streaming, H.263, H.264, MPEG4

- 3.5mm Jack

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Finally ended up finding one that I liked, and that's the Toshiba Thrive. It's a tad on the heavy side at 1.6lbs, but with the rubber grip on the back you really don't feel it much. If I were a doctor and had it on my hip all day, that may be a problem, but I really enjoy it so far. There's one minor bug in that it has to be re-booted sometimes after it goes to sleep, but the fix is already in the works and is expected in a week or so.

I can say that there are big things to like about it. Namely the connectivity. It has full sized USB and HDMI, not to mention a mini USB port and an SD card slot that'll hold cards upwards to 160gb i've been told. The screen is great and has a wonderful resolution, which shows off my photography portfolio like a charm, and it's extremely easy to put files in and off through your computer.

One of the best things is that the USB is a host usb, unlike many of the other tablets with an earlier android system. This means you can plug in some mice and keyboards, and for me, will soon be able to use it to control my camera or view it remotely. So far I'm really happy with it.

Finally ended up finding one that I liked, and that's the Toshiba Thrive. It's a tad on the heavy side at 1.6lbs, but with the rubber grip on the back you really don't feel it much. If I were a doctor and had it on my hip all day, that may be a problem, but I really enjoy it so far. There's one minor bug in that it has to be re-booted sometimes after it goes to sleep, but the fix is already in the works and is expected in a week or so.

I can say that there are big things to like about it. Namely the connectivity. It has full sized USB and HDMI, not to mention a mini USB port and an SD card slot that'll hold cards upwards to 160gb i've been told. The screen is great and has a wonderful resolution, which shows off my photography portfolio like a charm, and it's extremely easy to put files in and off through your computer.

One of the best things is that the USB is a host usb, unlike many of the other tablets with an earlier android system. This means you can plug in some mice and keyboards, and for me, will soon be able to use it to control my camera or view it remotely. So far I'm really happy with it.

Use a gun belt and you wont feel it. My M&P .40 weighs 2 Lbs loaded and I don't notice the extra weight.

did anyone buy a motorola xoom tablet? I want a tablet with 3G internet (gsm), can anyone recommend one?

I looked at the Xoom & other tablets, one thing stood out and that is 'ANDROID & GOOGLE'

I replaced my Blackberry & was going to buy a tablet but weighting up all that I wanted I dropped for an 'ANDROID PHONE'

I looked at it like this:

I've used a blackberry, because of push email, I had an ipod touch (now sold) for the great movie feature and general apps,

but found the blackberry lacking in the apps department & the ipod touch lacking in the expandability area.

I bought a 'SAMSUNG GALAXY S2' 4.3" AM OLED phone and boy does it shine.

Take a look if your looking to upgrade your phone & want the apps & flexibility of a tablet without the size.

I'll make a thread about it soon... but needless to say, it's a monster phone.

Dual core 1.2Ghz

1GB of system RAM

16Gb onboard RAM

32GB expandable Micro SDHC

ANDROID Gingerbread OS

Active Matrix 4.3" OLED display, Capacitive touch.

1600mAh battery (replaceable with a 1800mAh battery (no extra size)

Built in GPS

Built in 3 axis accelerometers

Push email

8M pixel camera + 2M pixel front cam.

1080p video recorder

Battery life, too long to quote here.

Connectivity: Bluetooth 3, Wifi, Gps, microUSB (with host mode), HDMI via mini adaptor,3G, Quad band, GPRS, NFC,

8.5mm thick, yep !! 8.5mm, this thing is so slim & still solid

I have around 30 movies on it (full length ipod) 4,000 tracks of music, 2,000 pictures & 50+ apps so far.

In effect it's like a mini tablet. a 4.3" tablet but with a quad band phone system tagged on...

I bought a 'SAMSUNG GALAXY S2' 4.3" AM OLED phone and boy does it shine.

YESSS !!! I WANT IT !! they didn t give the Green light for it in US, mostly due to a stupis Apple suing Samsung because "Samsung is copying the iPhone"... so they almost had the Galaxy S2 banned from the US market !!!

Now, it looks like this debate is almost over and finally it should be soon released and i am waiting.. oh i am so waiting for it !!!!