Spartans Home

iPad

Durka-Durka~SPARTA~

So I went to the local Apple store the other day to look at the new ipads because I'd heard decent things about them and thought I could use it for my business. (Photographer)

I seriously don't get it with all the obsessivness over Apple products. Yeah they're fast and simple and are a hipster's wet dream, but all I saw when I went there, especially with the ipad, is wasted dollars that could be put to use elsewhere. I'll start by saying that I'm a photographer, and my primary use for something like this would be to be a fancy way to show my portfolio to clients (who prints anymore? lol) and also as a tool on location shoots where I could hook it up to my camera and have a nice big screen in which to fine focus on.

Well, my hopes were dashed when I found out that the $500 cost was only for 16gb of storage space and the thing didn't even have a frikkin USB port. To get more space, it was an extra hundred dollars. There was one port on the bottom that went to power and such, and the lady at the ipad store said I can get a USB adapter for an extra $30. The thing is very thin, which can be nice, but I can see that, out of the box, it could only be used in a very sterile enviornment. One drop and the thing would be toast. And it would be easy to drop, that's how thin it is. I didn't check the prices, because I had made my decision at that time, but I'm sure the extra buffer pad or whatever cost an arm and a leg too. At least Nintendo shipped the extra stuff for free with the Wii.

All and all, I could still see this as a useful tool for my business, but some things would definately have to change. I just can't believe they didn't put any type of ports on the thing. Not even an SD card reader. Doing that and charging out the butt for an adapter (that costs as much as a 4gig USB Drive) just looks like they're milking things. I'll wait for Microsoft's answer, which may not be as user friendly, but will surely have adaptability in mind.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Durka, hold onto that though for a couple of months and you will be rewarded with a deep choice of tablet PC's with a size to suit and all the compatibility that you yearn for in a package that provides functionality over style

for a small screen running android 2.2, with a screen size you can hold in one hand

http://shop.vodafone.co.uk/shop/mobile-broadband-devices/samsung-galaxy-tab

With a reversable keyboard

http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/press_kits/2008/connecting/ds_cn_tx2500z.pdf

etc etc,

Lets get real on what it is that these machines are useful for, I want one with a simcard so I can access my email using 3G and will connect to WiFi as a matter of course. I want to port media around to entertain me without DRM. I want it to take any peripherals via USB and have a card reader, it also needs to have a front and back facing camera so I can viddeo conference. The battery life needs to be 8 hours for long distance travel.....okay this sounds like a rant ....or my christmas shopping list, but I can't be restricted or charged a fortune for some oink to tell me what I can and can't do with the tech - cos I'll go seek out a company that will give me the freedom I want and develop my own way of using the machine.

Durka - well said mate, thay can take their i-restrict-pad and use it to wow the kids.

3g is the phone server like how the phone connects to the cell tower the internet etc. wifi is how a wireless laptop or computer works not too difficult to understand but i can see the confusion durka *thumbs up* its all good

3g is the phone server like how the phone connects to the cell tower the internet etc. wifi is how a wireless laptop or computer works not too difficult to understand but i can see the confusion durka *thumbs up* its all good

Ok, so why would a "pad" of any kind need to connect to a phone server, rather than a wifi connection? Is it faster or something? You can't put the pad in your ear and talk through it, so I'm guessing it's not for that.

Think of it this way, Durka. Using WiFi you have to be within a certain range of your wireless router or a WiFi hotspot. While these are pretty common these days, you still can't get reception every where. Using 3G, the pad can connect to the same network your phone does to access the internet. So any place you get cell phone reception, the pad will be able to jump on the internet.

- JHunter

• 1 month later...

You can take a look at the new Samsung tablet.

It looks like about this hybrid devices around 7" -9", they need to have at least a Snapdragon processor. There is a lot of controversy about the OS. Google says Android 2.2 is not good for tablets but the manufacturers are not listening and are making tablets with Android anyway.

Win 7 is too chunky for a tablet and whatever they say, is not the solution for touch computing on small screens.

It is a very difficult market, because iPad reign supreme, but if you think, iPad is really just a stupid limited device. If you want more, you need a laptop.

You can take a look at the new Samsung tablet.

It looks like about this hybrid devices around 7" -9", they need to have at least a Snapdragon processor. There is a lot of controversy about the OS. Google says Android 2.2 is not good for tablets but the manufacturers are not listening and are making tablets with Android anyway.

Win 7 is too chunky for a tablet and whatever they say, is not the solution for touch computing on small screens.

It is a very difficult market, because iPad reign supreme, but if you think, iPad is really just a stupid limited device. If you want more, you need a laptop.

That's why I'm thinking somethign with a stylus is probably the best way to go, or something like that lenovo. I just don't know what kind of processor to look for. Atom or whatever...

About the processor there is not really that much of a choice for this kind of devices.

If i m not wrong, if is a small tablet sorta of 10" and uses sorta of mobile OS, it goes with Snapdragon CPU, if is an hybrid tablet-netbook it will be on some sort of Atom, that s it.

I've seen atoms and core i3 or i5 processors, that's why I asked.

You are right on that.

It is my understanding that when it comes to power consumption, the Atom is the n. 1 choice especiallyfor quite small device, say not exceeding 12".

Atom provides(with other light components) the best battery life.

As soon as you move a bit higher performances you may have i3 and i5 mobiles. Those are however closer to the desktop siblings and of course power demanding. They belong to a different machine profile.

Take a look at the other thread "what netbook 2010" by Viiper, I posted there a website you should take a look at.

See ya

I think there are only two sensible products for personal computing at this point, a desktop and a smart phone. Everything else is just landfill material ... laptops, netbooks, ipads, console game systems, all that junk is just that, junk.

Youve got a desktop where you can do proper work, or be properly entertained and then you have a small portable device that handles mobile communications and some entertainment. Nuff said.

I think there are only two sensible products for personal computing at this point, a desktop and a smart phone. Everything else is just landfill material ... laptops, netbooks, ipads, console game systems, all that junk is just that, junk.

Youve got a desktop where you can do proper work, or be properly entertained and then you have a small portable device that handles mobile communications and some entertainment. Nuff said.

I'm looking for something that I can plug into my camera and quadruple the screen size, or better yet, control remotely. Most most laptops do this, but it's better to have a tablet.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, this is the one I think I'm going to hold out for, which shouldn't be too much longer.

Adam by Notion Ink

http://www.slashgear.com/notion-ink-adam-behind-the-scenes-0997060/

It's not a full-fledged computer, but it looks like it's going to be a great portfolio presentation piece, a great viewscreen for my camera, (which is what I'll be using it for mostly) and a pretty good e-reader.

They appear, like Bohemia Interactive and some of our other favorite developers, a ground-up kind of developer. I've spent the night going through posts at their blog and they take suggestions and respond to them as well. Here are the specs of the machine:

Price: Between $400-500

Screen: 10.1" 1024x600 (which is what I was looking for, a big screen)

Also has a Pixel-Qi Transflective liquid crystal display for e-reading and low power consumption. There were videos showing the LCD screen off and still able to work the thing.

Best thing: USB! 2 of them! Even an HDMI port

I'm thinking if this hits shelves it will be the best low-key tablet out there.

The Blackberry Playbook is also coming out soon, and should make some others happy

http://us.blackberry.com/playbook-tablet/

The Adam is VERY nice !

I am just concerned about the fact being a brand new firmm, will be cannibalized by the Big boys on the market before they even get the product out. It would not be the first time and unfortunately will not be the last.

As soon as it becomes a serious retail product, I already see the Apple Shark Lawyers sueing them for 3 millions patents infringments, threatening them either to cancel the product or put a Lien on their families till the 4th generation....

It is sad, but is very possible.

I would love to see it on BestBuy shelf one day...