Spartans Home

Norton

After switching to Norton from Mcafee a few weeks ago, I can honestly say that I HATE NORTON!

This stupid program spends half the day doing background scanning of my dvd drive and it won't let me set it to skip the drive.

I can't find an option that allows me to shut that off. It is apparently "everything on" or "everything off" which is

retarded in the most annoying way. I don't want friggin background scans going constantly, I want to set it so it scans at specific times... apparently that is asking too much because there are no settings for that either.

Right now I am about ready to uninstall it an go buy a copy of something else.

If anyone knows how to set Norton manually, I would be interested in talking to them because I haven't figured it out and I can't believe they are stupid enough to make the program non configurable. But perhaps they are.

After switching to Norton from Mcafee a few weeks ago, I can honestly say that I HATE NORTON!

This stupid program spends half the day doing background scanning of my dvd drive and it won't let me set it to skip the drive.

I can't find an option that allows me to shut that off. It is apparently "everything on" or "everything off" which is

retarded in the most annoying way. I don't want friggin background scans going constantly, I want to set it so it scans at specific times... apparently that is asking too much because there are no settings for that either.

If anyone knows how to set Norton manually, I would be interested in talking to them because I haven't figured it out and I can't believe they are stupid enough to make the program non configurable. But perhaps they are.

Norton is a virus in disguise. Just get rid of it (good luck).

When it comes to anti-virus and firewalls, the best software is free. No way I'm paying a damn yearly subscription for anti-virus updates...

Some particularly good ones in my opinion:

Anti-virus

1. Avast
  2. AVG

Firewall

1. Comodo
  2. Zone Alarm

Spyware

1. Microsoft Security Essentials
  2. HiJack This
  3. Spybot Search and Destroy
  4. Dr. Webb CureIt

I personally use Avast and Comodo (I used to use AVG and Zone Alarm)

Yeah I have seen most of those and use some of them.

I must say I have had to fix 3 computers (remove viruses) now that were using AVG.

Part of that might be them not keeping it updated but I don't know for sure.

Another good program out there now is Malwarebytes. It is free as long as your willing to do manual scans. The pay version does it automatically and adds some realtime protection software.

I use the free version and it seems to do a good job of cleaning stuff out.

Cobol & I have tried many Firewalls & Antivirus programs, all in one packages & stand alone individual products.

I've been a long time Norton user till NOTRON 10 (2010) but Cobol recommended ESET NOD32 Smart security

30 day free trial, email required.

http://www.eset.co.uk/?gclid=CJzNvJW2qqECFVst3wodKAv3Eg

ESET Smart Security is an Antivirus & firewall program, it's FAST & it's manual or automatic configured, it has never stopped me playing any online game !!!

£39.95 full price, but specials are on some times.

79.90 for 2 computers....

but where it gets good is when you buy multiple YEARS.

https://shop.eset.co.uk/Store/Home

3 Year licence Price (inc VAT): £83.88 making it £27.36 / year

3 Year licence for 2 PC's Price (inc VAT): £94.39 making it £15.73 / year for each PC !!

and it gets cheaper the more PC's you cover, I cover 3 PC's ! @

3 Year licence for 3 years, Price (inc VAT): £104.90 making it 11.65 for each PC per YEAR

Updates are done daily & it's won top AWARDS

http://www.eset.co.uk/Compare/Competition

User posted image

User posted image

I love it !, did I mention it was FAST too......

http://www.eset.co.uk/Compare/Competition

Norton works fine, even the newest version. Never had a problem with it. I explained how to deal with one issue you were having related to program control when we spoke on TS the other night. I'll see what I can find on your current issue. Frankly, I never have a problem with a background check, they are just that, miniscule in the background, but I have a desktop and not a laptop like you and I don't know the particular demands such a background check may make on your laptop Zath.

Anyway, will post later when have time to do so.

Where have you been? The rest of us have know this for years. But you can redeem yourself. Check the links that Viiiper and MH6 posted. NOD32 is a really good one from all the reviews I have read, But I run a series of other free versions. Not the BEST of the BEST, but in combo, they are pretty good.

After a few comparisons at the moment I decided to trust AVAST latest version, I do believe is 5.

A few reasons to work with the new Avast:

1 - new interface

2 - new engine

3 - test proved very high virus recognition, it might not be that great to clean an infested PC, but if you know you r clean, it will keep it fully safe

4 - Game mode, disable annoying operations when a full screen app is running

5 - Ability to " resume from sleep" to run scheduled scans - this is for me a WINNER. I always put my PC to sleep and being able to resume, scanning and go back to sleep, for me is a Golden option.

So far, I love it!