Spartans Home

So... What's the crack then?

DaiSan

Installed the Retail DVD version today, my EA account was recognised (one up over the Crysis/Gamespy debacle), but... First time I tried I couldn't get any servers to show at all in the browser. No errors, just nothing showing.

Managed to search and send friend requests out no problem. We then had to go out so I thought I'd try later. It's now later and I can login OK but now on the browser window I still get nothing showing but now get a "Failed to contact EA Online, please try again" all the time.

Any ideas... is this normal? because I see a scrolling banner down the bottom of the server screen saying that they are searching for a solution to some peoples connection issues.

I have checked my firewall and my NAT and all is OK there.

This is standard operation for the game browser match server. Like most games of this sort, it is having network coding issues. They will straighten it out within a week or two is my guess, per past experience. However, keep on trying to connect and you will get through eventually.

This was happening to many of us yesterday and last night, but eventually we connect.

I had this problem, and this is what fixed it for me:

Put your retail DVD in the drive, and navigate to the "PunkBuster" folder. If I recall correctly, there's only one item inside, which is the PunkBuster installer/updater. Go ahead and run/install it, and hopefully it will say that both services (A & B) are running ok.

As a test, I ran another instance of PB that I have installed elsewhere to keep games like BF2142 and CoD4 up-to-date. After doing this, BC2 was no longer able to find servers. After running the above fix again, everything was ok.

Even with this "fix" applied, I still have occasional connection issues like everyone else. There were six of us playing on a server on the night of March 6th, and we all got disconnected at once, and we all had to wait a few minutes before being able to log back in again.

I also unable to complete the single player campaign, as the game CTD a few seconds into the start of one of the early missions.

Tried reinstalling PB, all working fine.

Disabled Firewall.

Put Router into DMZ.

Added PB and BFBC2 to DEP.

Still no servers showing in browser.

Logged into EA ok.

Wierd.

The state of the PC gaming industry amazes me nowadays.

15 years ago I was playing games online, yes they were slow (dialup) but you browsed, connected, job done.

Fast forward 15 years and if they haven't removed EVERY useful feature in the browser then it's some shite awful account system that won't even let you join ala Gamespy or this EA crap.

It is almost to the point that PC gaming is on it's way out for me.

The state of the PC gaming industry amazes me nowadays.

15 years ago I was playing games online, yes they were slow (dialup) but you browsed, connected, job done.

Fast forward 15 years and if they haven't removed EVERY useful feature in the browser then it's some shite awful account system that won't even let you join ala Gamespy or this EA crap.

It is almost to the point that PC gaming is on it's way out for me.

I'll deal with PC issues before I'll ever settle for the sub standard console versions. I can't stand playing an FPS with a controller. I've tried and tried again. It's just not for me.

Could you imagine a game like ARMA on console? *Shudder* As far as BC 2, I haven't really had any of the issues that other people have been having. I had one CTD last night, but was probably for the best since I was about to break my headphones.

Connection issues happen with any new game. And to say consoles are exempt, see the recent PS3 network crash.

My recommendation for this game is to get up to speed on regular mode in something like rush where you can die over and over (you will) until you figure out a strategy and get some weapons. Basically I have found that just killing people does not get you very many points. However, defending the flag will get alot of points as well as streaks and such. Blowing up vehicles is easy money.

Once you're comfortable with how things work I highly suggest you move over to hardcore. It may seem crazy at first, but trust me when you shoot someone in the face 10 times and they dont go down it is extremely frustrating.

Last note, there is already noted hacks out there. I'm not saying everyone who is good hacks, but they're def. out there. And with punkbuster ruining alot of servers, people are turning it off and opening the door wide for hackers. There are bunch of well moderated servers out there, you just have to find them.

LOL, looks like Athlon may have been right about a few things. It now looks as if most players have had their stats wiped (both PC and console version) due to some of the changes/fixes EA has been making to the servers. I didn't play Sunday, which is when this happened, but when I saw the news this morning, I did a quick login to check, and sure enough, I am back down to a buck private again. Sorry, Viiiper, looks like you lost your nice binoculars. :)

Finally got the damn thing working.

Complete reinstall, run the updater before even opening the game and I now have servers showing in the browser. This may be a coincidence or it may be the fix alluded to above.

Who knows <_<