Spartans Home

Respawning HMMWVs

AJsarge

In the Big_Dom maps, the humvees behind the control tower don't respawn and don't have any markers. Is there a chance we can get A: Make them respawn after 10 minutes. B: get simple dot markers or something like the wrecks have (minus the name) so that we can see where they are on the map.

Doing this, we can allow pubbies to take the humvees instead of them running to take an ammo truck or some of the heavier assets.

Plus, we might be able to lower the amount of motorcycles sitting around the spawn.

The motorcycles do. And I think there's a 30-60 second timer on those.

But I was playing on the server an hour or two ago, and there were maybe 4-5 humvees still at the base (the ones which people don't want to take, ie. not the Avengers). With enemy aircraft in the air, I went back to base looking to grab an avenger. Lo and behold, there's none there, and there is no way that I could locate one in a timely fashion in order to kill the jet without using assets that I wanted to keep open for others to use at the main AO or side mission.

But basically, there wasn't an avenger there, and I don't know where they were (except the vehicle service stations, which no one really goes to). By making them actually have a timed respawn (they do respawn if destroyed) we don't lose humvees all over the place.

Edited by AJsarge

Err, kinda. But the longer respawn time is there in case the driver/riders want to get out and shoot some guys without worrying that their ride is going to disappear on them. Maybe not a 10 minute timer, more like 20-30.

That, or, attach some dots on the map (like the ammo/fuel/repair trucks now) maybe blue player markers without any text next to them?) so that the people looking for them have an easier time finding them. And if you go that direction, maybe adding a yellow mark to reward vehicles like tanks and APCs.

The purpose of this is so that we don't eventually run out of HMMWVs because they're scattered about the map and we can't find them.

i'm not sure i like the idea . i'm using Vehicles and Leaves them near the a.o for a long time.

players need to be responsible and make sure they mark and remember where they left there Vehicles .

you can make a few other Vehicles that will boomerang,there is enough space in base

well just because they need to be responsible doesn't mean that they will be and would take more time to go get the vehicle for use and by the time that tthat happens the enemy air would be dead or the platoon annihilated.

So can we at least mark them with something so we can find them later? This isn't for tac-dom, but rather the public server, where vehicles have a tendency to walk off when an admin isn't around or not looking.

And I kinda got annoyed that I needed an avenger (since I rarely use any sort of launcher) and there wasn't one at base. Someone managed to come across one at the current AO, but that still left one which might have been in the farthest corner of the map for all we knew.

You go to war with the equipment you have :)

I agree that having boomerang ground vehicles isn't the answer, since they are meant to be left for longer periods of time, and I agree that people just need to learn to be more responsible. Maybe a marker, if possible, would be the best middle ground decision.

For sake of time, I made the vehicles return to the base if not used or active within 5 minutes after exiting them. These were originally set up to be boomerang after a while but were apparently not working correctly. I will work on markers for nexter version.

As I was on during the time AJ is speaking of, I'll interject, I agree with the boomerang but isn't 5 minutes just a bit too short? I mean I guess if you use it for transport to the AO or you just like driving. but if you want some light scout vehicle for an offensive/convoy strike, I'd think 5 minutes would leave you stranded at some point. I was trying to track down the avengers last night via a helo (not the proper use of one I know) so I'm ALL for the implementation, but I think maybe a more realistic timer setting might be better arrived at. Just my 2 cents,

-Chris

KalXen, you mean light ground vehicle only? excluding MHQ and tanks right?

He means the humvees that spawn at the main airfield.

By the way Kal, I can give you my respawn/marker FSMs if you want. Much easier to use than how Dom does it IMO.

Edited by MH6~SPARTA~

I would be against re-spawning HMMVVs largely because it takes away from realism.

Many chopper pilots such as myself are constantly looking for abandoned vehicles and such to RTB. Basically anytime I hop in a chopper, I'm working for someone. Even if that means waiting for 30 or more minutes before anyone needs something. B)

This is very interesting.

I see this problem from 2 standpoints:

1) TAC -DOM server (professional, mature server/game) in my opinion should not be any respawn. Driver should mark on Map the vehicle location at the moment he disembark. It is my understanding others will see that mark on the map and everyone may have an info about unused vehicles and locations.

2) Public Server - it envolves "different quality" of players partecipation. While it would be welcome considering a Driver is responsible for his vehicle, we know that is not gonna happen with generic players. So, either respawning (at a decent amount of realistic time) or an automatic "dot tracking" would be a valuable solution.

.. my rookie suggestion :)

Tac-Dom is not a problem. All there are responsible.

BigDom is. Special when its only few left and all vehicle assets are spread around the map in unknown location.

I don't really care about tanks, LVT's or M2 Humvee's. Defending base against armor attack is easy. But when it comes to air attacks defending base its much easier to have Avenger ready. And its not unrealistic to have AA team on stand 24/7 at air base. Most ow new players does not care, they just jump in and die mile or 2 away from base. Never even try to recover vehicles.

However friday and saturday we spend lot of time recovering choppers and mhq's abandon and spread around the map.

Witch should not happen with list we have

Edited by peter

However friday and saturday we spend lot of time recovering choppers and mhq's abandon and spread around the map.

Witch should not happen with list we have

Which is what Durka-Durka and I discussed last night on game.. I will continue to remove people from the fly/mhq list if they don't use the rights properly.

seems like you guys solved this, but ill add my 2 cents.

Have additional avengers that are grounded to base; park them in a separate lot. Add permissions to them, if they leave base they go boom.

Make a call box near the parking lot that will rubber band or mark up existing abandoned vehicles on the map.