Spartans Home

Win 7 x64 compatability

Krambo

Hi all,

Put windows 7 Ultimate on last night.

Just thought i'd mention XBC (xbox backup creator) didn't work.

Also I had a problem with NOD32 anti virus (64 bit edition) it runs, but i get a "known compatibility issue" window when it loads (that you can disable) but the windows security centre things tells me the way it reports errors to windows is not working.

Just incase other people use these programs.

I will look for fixes and post here if found.

Everything else runs sweet for now. I can post a list of installed programs but don't know if its worth it?

Cheeeers

Feel free to add any programs you are having issues with.

Edited by Krambo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Did you ever have Vista Durka?

Because Vista did the same thing regarding establishing a connection i think. Might be wrong.

I assume you mean network connection?

cant help with the Arma thing.

I've been usingWin 7 since about 10 months now. I was on the MS beta testing.

I ve to say I never had an issue with it. Had a BSOD once, but was not an OS issue, but wrong ATI drivers.

Performances with all the game I tested so far are better than XP (I do not even compare to Vista).

If you have a specific problem, ask me and I will see if I can help, however most of the time is a matter of most recent drivers for your devices.

This is not even always true, because the most recent ATI drivers mess up my graphic big time, so it s just a matter to experiment a little bit, but 99% everything works and if it doesnt, right click the application and use Troubleshooting, it really works most of the time.

If you have a specific problem, ask me and I will see if I can help, however most of the time is a matter of most recent drivers for your devices.

This is not even always true, because the most recent ATI drivers mess up my graphic big time, so it s just a matter to experiment a little bit, but 99% everything works and if it doesnt, right click the application and use Troubleshooting, it really works most of the time.

Ah, good man.

I just installed Home Premium 7 x64 yesterday up from XP, and I installed the essential programs today (ARMA2 and TS was among them, of course).

What settings do I want to manipulate to optimize this thing? I'm still finding my way around the flashy OS.

I've installed VTune to keep my graphics fan at 100%

I set my Nvidia physx off, force vsync off, and max prerendered frames to 8 for Arma2

I use alpinestars launcher, which adds various commandline param's as needed. I take it, with win-7, I don't need to use the winxp param anymore.

What else?

Ya win 7 will run everthing that needs it in compatibility mode.

It usually detects it. If not and the program won't run, it detects that it failed and runs it in compatibility mode of your choice.

Durka you can tell your pc not to go into sleep mode from your control panel. not sure why you need to re-establish a connection after sleep mode.. maybe your router or isp or MB?

I am still learning also, so I am not sure about any more fine tuning.

Ah, good man.

I just installed Home Premium 7 x64 yesterday up from XP, and I installed the essential programs today (ARMA2 and TS was among them, of course).

What settings do I want to manipulate to optimize this thing? I'm still finding my way around the flashy OS.

I've installed VTune to keep my graphics fan at 100%

I set my Nvidia physx off, force vsync off, and max prerendered frames to 8 for Arma2

I use alpinestars launcher, which adds various commandline param's as needed. I take it, with win-7, I don't need to use the winxp param anymore.

What else?

Hi,

Unfortunately I use ATI, not Nvidia, so I am not really familiar with the programs you are talking about, but my suggestion in general, and this is not only valid for Win 7 but for any OS in general, try to not install too many programs handling graphic or performances in background, although really necessary, because most of the time they can interfere or overlap with other functions, creating preformance degrade, instead to help.

Win 7 is a very streamlined OS and is usually able to optimize your machine by itself, without too many extra needs.

In order to have the best graphic performance I would just suggest you to be sure to have the most recent drivers for your card (I do believe you could keep the Physix on..) and if needed tweak your card using your videocard software control.

I cannot yet help too much about Arma 2 configs in win 7 because i got the game yesterday and didn t istall it yet (I m not home).

Maybe I'll have to ask to more experienced players on Arma2 if I run in any problem :)

However, try to keep your System as much as clean of craplets and install tweaker only if really needed.

Since I've installed Win7, my ping to the ARMA servers have been horrible. mostly in the yellow, but sometimes maxed out at 2500. Any idears on what's going wrong? Also, every time my computer goes to sleep, it has to re-establish a connection.

Had exactly this issue, also going from 32bit XP to 64bit Win7 Home Premium. I spent ages googling without getting an anwer. In the end I just disabled the screen sleep mode and I haven't lost a connection since.