Spartans Home

Computer Case Tips

I'm looking to buy a new computer case, followed next month by a quad-core motherboard/cpu. I'm not really looking for suggestions on what brand/price to get, just looking for tips on what to look for when buying one. A lot of that stuff is confusing, but I know many of you have bought them before and could help me and others out who may buy one in the future. Thanks!

Make sure it is

* BIG enough to take what you need in terms of graphics cards, drives, etc both now and, as best you can predict, the future

* SMALL enough to fit where you intend to locate it still allowing a bit of room for air to circulate in and around.

If you are building your own it's useful to ensure drive bays, caddies, etc are easy to work with and remove.

I bought an Antec P182 to build my own machine and looked at shedloads of reviews online which brought to light its strengths and weaknesses - suggest you do the same for a couple of cases that have caught your eye and it may bring up issues you haven't considered yet.

5.25 is for your standard big ol internal hard disc but u can get external ones

3.5 is the ol floppy drive size or for internal hard discs the size they put in laptops

5.25 is for your standard big ol internal hard disc but u can get external ones

3.5 is the ol floppy drive size or for internal hard discs the size they put in laptops

Ahh coo. I plan on getting a SATA 1tb hard drive, which will make 3 for my computer, so I need something that will fit them all and possibly another internal. I don't like external hard drives much due to the clutter, so I'll be looking for those. I also am looking for something that will fit my big ole Zalman fan, which my regular case at 7.5" does now, so that shouldn't be too much of a problem. I found one at newegg that might fit my needs at $60, hopefully I won't have to go much farther than that.

External 3.5" bay is where a floppy drive would go in the case. It has external access.

Internal 3.5" bay is where you would mount HDDs for use. These are hidden normally behind fans in the bottom of the case.

On another note, I recently replaced my case with an Antec Twelve Hundred which is the full tower version of the Antec Nine Hundred.

It is a very nice case. Viiiper also posted a case that he really liked. Check them out.

http://www.legionofspartans.com/forums/ind...ost&p=28849

Edited by Medic~SPARTA~

Sounds like you definitely want to move to a full tower (as Medic suggested).. only thing to keep in mind when you are building full tower sized rigs is that the drives in the highest slots may need custom cables due to the extra distance from the motherboard.

Found that out the hard way a few years back...:)

You would also want a really uber power supply for all the extra devices, I am sure the folks here could give you a good idea of the range for multiple drives and peripherals.

Best of luck!

The best drives for the money I hear are 750Gb and some mobos have issues with 1Tb.

Most cases have space for lots of drives so you shouldn't need to worry about space for them.

The cases with exhaust fans at the top (big ones) appear popular at the mo and all aluminium like Viiipers.

Since people are throwing out recommendations, I'll throw in one for the Coolermaster 690. I have one and absolutely love it. Its a mid tower, so not too big but more then enough room for good airflow in the case. Its made of aluminum and its completely tool less, so no need to worry about screwdrivers and such. Top mounted PSU and a couple of included fans in the important spots for airflow.

That and its cheap in comparison to most cases with similar features.