Spartans Home

Crashed and burned Mav'

Zebb

I have been working all weekend but unfortunately my wife decided it would be a good idea to let my kids play on my comp while I was away, needless to say that they have managed to bugger it up somehow and when I fired it up today I had a complete crash, and now when I fire it up it makes all the right noises but I don't see a thing and my monitor flashes as if it's on standby.

I opened it up, reset the CMOS again and checked all the memory and video cards to see if it would make any difference but nothing, I even tried my old monitor but that still sat there on standby.

I have no access to the bios so I can't even try to start in safe mode and if I try to go into the bios or safe mode during the bootup it just locks up and never completes booting.

I will drop in when I can using this laptop my wife has but until I get a new rig sorted out then I'm stuffed..

Zebb there was another user with the same problem recently, although your problem may be different, check out:

http://www.legionofspartans.com/forums/ind...?showtopic=2685

Dam it was you last time !

p.s. BACKUP using ACRONIS !

http://www.acronis.co.uk/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

The easiest and best backup and recovery software, ever, if you can not recover with this, then you have a hardware failure !

http://www.legionofspartans.com/forums/ind...&hl=acronis

Best of luck Zebb ! :)

You speaking to the wife yet?

Everytime my kids go near my PC I get the shakes thinking about what they might do, my son takes stuff apart and my daughter is sooo clumsy she trips over her own feet.

Are you getting any "beep codes" as it tries to start? It should if its a hardware issue.

If it can't boot... it might not be your OS, it could be ram, video card, powersupply or motherboard.

Someone else needs to confirm this (Viiiper? or someone?) but I think if the bios is corrupted you should remove the battery on the board for a certain amount of time during the reset process. Although the procedure varies a little by manufacturer.

That should work if the cmos is not corrupt. If it is, then a new bios chip is in order. But if it is a hardware issue then the power on self test = beep code should indacate what componet failed. But keep in mind that all beep codes are not the same. you need to get the right one for your board.

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~

Ye, Ath is right, time to "Colt that bitch!" (Save what you can first though, RAM, Optical drives, CPU/fan, etc.) ;)

Kids are always a good reason to get a new computer. This is the perfect situation. It's the wife's fault because she let the kids play on it. So you get to use it against her.

yer colt that b1tch!

no seriously....

process of elimination would be best, take out each part and try it in a diff machine.

or try replacing each part in ur machine with another 1 at a time.

this is such a pain in the arse problem that every1 has in there computer life. But its the only way 2 sort it, identifying which peice of hardware is causing the problem.

Just checkin ur monitor cable is plugged in2 ur gfx card and not in2 the integrated gfx? i have done that b4 DOH!

sorry 2 hear it anyway and best of luck!

On the upside by jamming a screwdriver into the workings and jiggling it around a bit I have managed to get my comp to fire up, not stable enough to do much with it except grab anything I want to transfer onto my next one and stick it in my external drive.

I have put together an order for another rig and would be grateful if you anyone can let me know if it sounds like a decent setup or what alternative might be worth looking at, thanks guys.

Intel® Core?2 Quad Q9550 (4 X 2.83GHz) 1333MHz FSB/12MB Cache

Memory (RAM)

4GB CORSAIR XMS3 DHX 1600MHz - LIFETIME WARRANTY (2x2GB)

Motherboard

ASUS® RAMPAGE EXTREME: The Ultimate OC / Gaming Platform

Operating System

Genuine Windows Vista? Ultimate + SP1, CD & Licence

USB Options

8 x USB 2.0 PORTS (6 REAR + 2 FRONT)

1st Hard Disk

1000GB SERIAL ATA II HARD DRIVE WITH 32MB CACHE (7,200rpm)

2nd Hard Disk

1000GB SERIAL ATA II HARD DRIVE WITH 32MB CACHE (7,200rpm)

1st CD/DVD Drive

6x BLU-RAY Writer & HD-DVD ROM Drive, 16x DVD ±R/±RW

2nd CD/DVD Drive

20x Dual Layer LightScribe DVD Writer ±R/±RW/RAM

Graphics Card

1024MB GEFORCE GTX280 PCI Express + DVI + TV-OUT

Sound Card

sound Blaster® X-Fi Titanium - Fatal1ty Professional Series

Network Facilities

2 x ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORTS

Floppy Disk Drive

1.44MB - 3.5 INCH FLOPPY DISK DRIVE

Power Supply & Case Cooling

900W Quiet Quad Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan

Processor Cooling

ASUS SILENT KNIGHT II PURE COPPER ULTRA COOLER

Firewire & Video Editing

3 Port IEEE 1394a Firewire PCI Card

TV Card

DUAL DIGITAL TV CARD & MULTIMEDIA REMOTE CONTROL FOR VISTA/MCE

Awesome specification Zebb, even I've drooling.

If I could recommend any change:

The 2 x 1000Gb drives I would replace with 3 x 750 Gb drives

I had 2 1000Gb drives recently and sent both back, Problems with formatting & spindle clicking, I realized that maybe 1000Gb was just too much to risk in one drive for today's technology.

I love the 750Gb drives and even that I hate Samsung Spin point, after a recommendation from 'MUTILATOR' I tried one and shock! I love it, plus it's dam cheap ! & well specced.

Samsung SpinPoint F1 750GB Hard Drive

SATA II / 32MB Cache

It's Samsung 'F1' Range and it's quiet & smooth.

http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?...amp;tid=hd753lj

SATAII

With the 3x 750Gb drives I speculate a price of £180 total

I would also suggest an external USB2 or eSATA drive for external backups

I used to have an internal drive but invested in an external for BACKUPS of the BOOT drive & Personal data.

Something like a 500GB drive & use Acrnis True image Home edition, it is simple yet powerful software.

Making live backups of the whole boot drive & compressing it.

Restore is simple too and needs no OS or pre-formatted drive.

It simply relies on a special boot CD that will boot a window similar to Windows install (but more nice) and take you through a 5 click restore menu.

With this you can not loose your operating system, only Hardware failure will stop you booting...... 10/10 from me.

ACRONIS

http://www.acronis.co.uk/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

EXTERNAL DRIVE, you find one you like.....

Wow Bud....nice parts list......:o :)

Here's a link to a couple PSUs in the 850 Watt range I would highly recommend (they also have 1000+W) if you're list isn't firmed up yet:

Link

Link

Hope you're back up and running strong soonest.

:yes:

Thanks Athlon up until now I have only had AMD's as well but I figured Intel were worth a shot now so I'll have to see, as it happens I ordered a 1010 W psu so I am hoping that will be big enough..

Just have to wait for it to arrive now which is the hard part for me...

PS, I also grabbed a 24 inch monitor while I was at it.. :thanks1:

Hope you don't have trouble. and the p/s is great! Check the sight of the mobo your getting and do the ram compatibilty chart to make sure the ram your getting has been tested on that board. That is a must for trouble free start up. According to the teck news sights AMD is fixing to blow intell away again, they have new billion dollar(oil money) investiors and will be made in new york and germany soon.

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~

Dont get anything but a 9800 GTX or something the like Zebb. You cant go wrong for 100 or so bucks. 9800 might not be the top of the line, but it will rip thru Crysis, Far Cry 2, Fallout 3, and just about anything else u throw at it. And for a hundred bucks, you cant go wrong.

Then in 6 months when games can actually take advantage of the Nvidia 260, the card that your looking at now that will tear up OFP2/ArmA2, will prob be under 200 bucks. So why pay premium now when nothing can even make it sweat. Grab it when u can use it and prob save a few hundred bones :)

I remember when the 9800 was $350+. Im just saying since the new stuff runs smooth on the 9800's no reason to pop for a new card that cant be taken advantage of. Unless you really really want 80 fps instead of 60 lol. :rolleyes:

Lol, thanks for the tip mate but patience isn't my strong point so with a bit of luck it should be here by the end of this week or early next so I guess I'll take the extra fps and bathe in the glory of my new 24 inch monitor... :santa: