Spartans Home

broken hard drive

Snowshoe

:( just thought i better let you guys know i wont be able to play any games till theend of this week or my start of next week, as the hard drive on my desktop pc has failed. :ranting2: :rip_1:

I still have acess to the internet but am having to use my mac book.

I also need to know whats the best sort of hard drive to buy, as the one that has failed is only 2 years old and i think it was a sata2 300 meg drive only it had over 60% not used, i dont know why this has happened. lucky i backed up a lot of files yesterday onto my external drive. :thumbsup:

The Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB SATA-II is a good one and a good price as well

£45.81 inc VAT

Agreed. Any Seagate Barracuda.

I am also partial to the Western Digital Caviar series drives as well. I have asked my wife to get me either of these in a .5 terabyte size for Christmas. WHich ever is cheaper when she tells me to order it. ;)

I agree Floyd has picked a good drive. Sorry to hear it Snow, we miss you :(

Also

http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?...nufacturer_id=0

640GB Western Digital Caviar Blue WD6400AAKS

Show Product Images

7200 RPM

16MB Cache

SATA II

£39.99 ex VAT, £46.99 inc VAT

IPB Image

More 3.5" SATA Hard Drives

More Western Digital 3.5" SATA Hard Drives

All Western Digital Products

All Manufacturers | All Categories

CCL Code: HDD0340

Mnfr Code: WD6400AAKS

Stock: 34 Now, 155 in 2-3 days

Don't forget to hit your supplier up for a new replacement HD ... The one you have will still be under manufacturers warrenty :) ... If your lucky they will just swap it out and the wholesaler will do the RMA sheet for you, or you will get a new one back in a few weeks time from the manufacturer. All you need is to post it off to them or drop it off and show them a copy of your purchase reciept.

JUST READ THIS ON AMAZON

If you are looking for something that you can trust your data with then avoid Seagate brand at all cost, their hard drives is not as good as it used to be and if you get into trouble, they will send you another drive which some else has returned to Seagate. I have had a drive which gone bust , they sent me another which only S.M.A.R.T counter has been reset, the new one in less than a 3 hours , lost 65% of drive health, when I have called Seagate, they say send it to us we will send you another refurbished !!! which god knows what is wrong with that one, after 3 times hard drive exchange, I trough it away and bough a Samsung and God bless them what a performance.

Hey Snowshoe sorry to hear about your ailing computer. I just went through this a few weeks back and I certainly feel your pain. Best of luck sorting it out.

I wouldn't get too excited about the fact that Seagate sends refurbished equipment out on warranty returns as this is standard procedure for most every company. There may be exceptions but the vast majority use what is called Class 'B' inventory as a resource pool for RMA activity.

Look on the bright side.....at least you had your data backed up so you'll be up and running in short order I'm sure.

Hope to see ya back in game soonest.

Cheers,

X

:clapping: i got a new one ordered the one floyd said to buy its coming tomorrow. and i shall be it fitted on thursday ( i hope) then i got hours of loading to do. i just hope my back ups ok, as if it is not theres 8 years of pics , music and all sorts of contacts down the drain. :(

plz plz pz let it be ok :bowing:

Edited by Snowshoe

:clapping: i got a new one ordered the one floyd said to buy its coming tomorrow. and i shall be it fitted on thursday ( i hope) then i got hours of loading to do. i just hope my back ups ok, as if it is not theres 8 years of pics , music and all sorts of contacts down the drain. :(

plz plz pz let it be ok :bowing:

I have one Snow & I'm going to be getting two more very soon, their good drives :allgood:

I dont know if anyone has told you this snow, but it could be a boot sector failure not a complete hard drive loss.

If this is the case, install the new drive, set up windows etc. then plug in the old HD as a second drive. If its a boot sector failure all the other info may still be there and legible, then you can copy from the old drive to the new one and indeed continue to use the old as a secondary drive. This is a much faster way of recovering data than from external (non sata) drives.

Good luck.

yesterday i wondered why snowshoe's absent so long. And today the reason came out.

i hope you could have most data usable, although this disk couldnt boot up. Cause i have two maybe 3 disks like this, only 1 is totally damaged.

Now, my desktop pc is set firmly, and I wont move it once it power on, even a small vibration will be stopped. I treat it now like god.

Hope you can go through and back online quickly.

hi guys just a bit more news.

i have found my sales invoice for my failed hd and it has a 5 year warranty the drive is less than 2 years old.

but the bad news is the drive is a 320gb Seagate Barracuda sata2 7200rpm 16mb cache. :wallbash: :MSNOO:

maybe its not the drive maybe its a windows fault i dont know, anyway it is all getting sorted out tomorrow will keep you informed of progress. :worshippy:

and i miss you all also