Spartans Home

Memory Voltage settings

NoScream~SPARTA~

Halli made a post once (I can not find it) but the post was about his Memory

and how he found that the automatic setting for voltage, left him with a machine that would

crash now and then. I'm posting to say, I've had this happen now & under investigation found

that the STRYKER EXTREME MB under voltages the memory on some brands/ types.

My advice is set it manually.

I use OCZ Reaper

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memo...per_hpc_edition

IPB Image

It should be set from 2.1 - 2.3 volts but my stryker MB is setting 1.8v

I've now bumped the voltage manually in BIOS to 2.2v

Will let you all know in 3 weeks !

The best thing to do is go to the mfger webb sight and look up the model # of the ram you have and set it accordingly, most all mobo mfgers have it set at default wicth is probley not right for your ram or your cpu core voltage as well. Plus the multiplyer and ram freq to.

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~

My P5n32 SLI mobo has same issues. On fifth bios and it still hasn't been fixed I have to manually set timings and voltage. OCZ memory too.

My mobo came with a yellow piece of paper as an insert. It stated that the mobo was set to 1.8 as default and that "you" should check the mfger's recommended voltage settings for the RAM, then set it accordingly.

I guess thats the easy way to take care of the problem. A piece of paper.

Under the 3Dmark post:

Well I have been having problems with ArmA after an hour or two it would crash and I would check my performance in

task manager to see my mem was sky high.

After a little research I have found out that my system has been running my Ocz gold ddr2 6400 2 Gigs of ram at 1.8v

rather than the 2.01v it needs so using AI Booster I changed it on the fly and last night no crashes no glitches just smooth game play.

Ran the 3Dmark this morn and now it gives me 12503 so if you build a new system make sure your volts are correct,

funny thing is that my system ran well at 1.8v with the exception of ArmA the Mem hog. :D

We know for sure that Ocz and Crucial have this problem.

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys, have bought some new stuff lately and am wondering if my RAM is being used to it's full potential.

Note below specs and details (copy/paste from "EVEREST"):

OS Microsoft Windows XP Professional -SP3

CPU DualCore Intel Core 2 Duo E8400, 3000 MHz (9 x 333)

Mobo Asus P5K-VM

Recognized RAM (thanks to XP...:() 3328 MB (DDR2-800 (????)DDR2 SDRAM)

RAM (actual) 2x2GB GeIL CL5-5-5DDR21066 5

BIOS Type AMI (10/30/07)

Graphics card ASUS EAH4870 series (512 MB)

Monitor Samsung SyncMaster 245B/245BW (Digital) [24" LCD]

HDD SAMSUNG HD753LJ (750 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA-II)

HDD ST3160811AS (160 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA-II)

DVD HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH20LS15

DVD Optiarc DVD RW AD-7173A

One buddy told me to use "cpuz" to check some details (RAM in this case) and found that my ram is only running at a max of 400 Mhz !!! My new GeIL memory should run at 1066 MHz (which I changed in the BIOS manually as well, though the cpuz-test still showing max of 400 MHz). What should I do and what is the best way to test that your system settings are running the way they should?

cpuz result for memory GeIL:

cpu_z_mem_geil.bmp

bios manually updated to:

post-59-1221990999_thumb.jpg

Thanks for yr usual help!!!!

You need to set your memory timings manually in the bios.

The reason CPUz shows the ram at 800Mhz is that it is reading the default settings for the ram after a bios reset from the SPD Chip on the ram. This is normal.

Just make sure you have it set at correct voltage as per manufacturers website, and the correct timings. Leave the rest on auto unless your O/C it, but it's pointless as you won't gain much in the real world.

Now another trick you can do if you have a decent aftermarket cooler is leave it at stock timings and speed as defined by the SPD, and set the voltage manually and wind the FSB up until your ram is running at the correct speed of 1066.

You will need to lock your PCIE bus at 100Mhz and remove the speedstep and the thermal rubbish (T1, T2, T3 settings in bios) This will in effect have your CPU running at a nice cosy 3.8Ghz and your ram at stock settings giving you a nice little CPU performance boost. Do Not Do This with the stock Intel Cooler.

Ok have fun ... L8R :D