Spartans Home

Arma Match 08 Aug 2008 - SERVER 2 (Friday)

NoScream~SPARTA~

THE MAP is COOP (12 MAN MAX) SPECIAL OPERATIONS 1.3

We are playing BLUE ( US Weapons)

THE RULES

START TIME (DUST OFF) is after COD4 has ended (2300 BST 1800 EST)

SERVER 2

MISSION is DUSK / NIGHT - weather variable

NO RESPAWN, SERVER JIP OFF

All targets are hostile

Friendly AI OFF

If a new player joins we will allow them in if = the mission is less than 5 mins in

or all members are dead & we start again.

WE will play till we get it right or 2 hour limit ? any questions ?

User posted image

GET THIS MOD - OPTIONAL but it gives TRACERS & ALOT of nice touches.

Get this mod it's CLIENT SIDE, self installing

Add this to the properties

-mod=6thSenseMisc;@6thSenseMod;@6thSenseQG

Adds plenty of enhancements inc TRACERS

DOWNLOAD from HERE

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=468

1Gb mod

6th Sense ArmA Mod

Description:

This Modification is created for usage on 6thSense.eu servers. (And as such Made for MP)

But it may and can be used by other communities or individuals.

The package has been made with many different considerations, some realism, some gameplay, some for fun.

The main idea of the Mod, is to have a uniformal classes system with many many different units, vehicles

scripts, further enhancements, all made compatible with eachother inside 1 mod.

Newer Modules will become available in the future, examples could be WW2, Vietnam etc. etc.

Original Units, Vehicles, Weapons etc. are unaffacted. This mod needs updated Missions.

(Auto-replace templates for PowerGREP are included in the @6thSenseMod\Tools folder)

Lol, maybe we can have fewer objectives in the next mission so that it is doable in a reasonable time but we were definitely far better than in previous ones we have done, thanks guys.

Few things I noticed Viiiper if you want a AAR. I stood back and just observed you gents for the first hour and you did great. Not sure how the first time went, but sorry I couldnt finish that one out. All you can eat sushi and saki was too much for me to bear, so I had to charge the hotel before she picked me up lol.

Good fun, hope you guys finished it.

I noticed we had a few "casualties" around the dinner bell, lol.

In my case I wish I was more observant, I died circling the town and crossing a small encampment in the hill. I had approached unnoticed since I had got there on my belly. I saw only one enemy immobile prone and with his back to me. I decided to shoot him, but his body hid another slightly lower down the hill, I did manage to get him but there were 4 and I was quickly outflanked.

On a seperate note any time the snipers have to recon inside 200m you are better off using an assualt recon team, IMO.

At the oilfields the sniping position was compromised by the shilkas and BMP, even if it was out of sequence I think it was right to take out the armour. Changing our position wouldnt have helped since the armour patrolled aggressiviely.

The last objective was the hardest, but maybe the survivors managed it, I had to go to bed.

That was more like it, did people notice how much better we were on comms (apart from the odd bit of talking over each other) and the mutual support cover was also good.

Taking out the armour/uaz's was a necessary evil since it was moving in to our left flank but more importantly it was bringing troops with it, 7 and I only just saw them in time from the rear so that part was a bit of a "QRF" action than a planned attack.

I did mention in my other post that snipers become less efficient the nearer the assault teams get to the objective and we noticed that again, but what they can do is overwatch the flanks and any enemy movement out of range of the teams and report anything relevant (good jobs last night Halli/ Zeno) .

We knew that assaulting a town was going to get tricky and as the numbers went down and the lateness of the night went up it did become more difficult but we made it to the guns by attacking the troops from outside of the town which worked really well leaving only the stragglers inside, normally the hardest ones to get and that proved to be the case.

We have to remember to regroup after each assault objective and check ammo counts etc before moving off in a proper formation to the next one, the snipers need to report that they are in position before we move anywhere near the next target.

It was good to see people mixing up their weapon loadouts since most of us have our favourite roles and doing something different can take a bit of time to adjust.

I hope we can continue to play like this and make those little improvements with each mission, thanks for the game guys..

Great game last night guy's, sorry I had to bail out, anything after midnight becomes a problem for me due to early starts and wanting to spend time with my better half.

First off I'll start with an apology and a disclaimer.

As I've already explained to Viiper, I do tend to be vocal on Comms. I am used to being in a forward recon or sniper role and as such, the way we had comms set up I was maintaining an almost constant stream of information and observations back to command. I tend to slip into this without thinking and tend to hog comms if only a single channel is used. For this I apologise and will just say in my defence that most of my talking IS relevant information and not just idle chatter.

The disclaimer part is that whatever i say here is NOT aimed at people in particular and I include myself in any criticism I give.

OK, my views.

This is the first time I have played a serious Co-Op mission with any of you guy's and to be frank I was impressed. Comms chatter was minimal (apart from my own stream of drivel ;)) and in general movement and cover was good.

On the comms point I think we still have problems giving clear reference points of any observation, I know I am still learning the game and feel that this will soon sort itself as we all become more confident. Things like "3 enemy coming in from the left" on a general channel is frankly MORE confusing than no warning at all because everyone thinks "My left?". Again, once we start splitting the comms down into channels then this becomes less of a factor.

Movement was generally good, we appeared to have most arcs covered most of the time and either advancing or retreating someone always appeared to be covering. Again this will improve once we become comfortable with each others play styles and preferences.

Fire control was in my opinion a bit of an issue. I'll get onto the sniper situation in a sec but we must have some SOP's (Standard Operating Procedures) that have to be adhered to at all times. Normally on insert into a mission, unless it is a known `Hot Drop`, Weapons should be RED until command instruct otherwise. The only exception to this rule is if you or a team mate is in direct danger or being fired upon and even then it is mission dependent, sometime you just have to take a bullet so as not to compromise your teams position.

When we set up on the first Machine Gun emplacement it was all going well, people were calling targets and we took our time. Suddenly someone opened up on the enemy and it took me totally by surprise and I had to take a snap shot to kill my target at the gun emplacement. This is NOT good ;)

ALL engagements like that should have a count in so everyone knows when the lead is going to start flying. I think the main cause of this was that there was no clear command structure in place so no one actually knew who was going to give the `Fire` order. But in general, once the firefight started the Opfor were dropping like flies and we all came out alive so hell, we must have done something right ;)

Regarding snipers, I might have sounded a bit critical about engaging the town last night, it's just that from experience, if you start fighting a battle on more than one front you are generally heading into a world of pain. You guy's were the only ones who could see what was going on up there so I have to accept that it was the right decision. My only concern is that maybe if you were getting pinged by the enemy and felt you were in danger then perhaps you were in the wrong place as snipers.

My opinion (and I may well be wrong, but my experience leads me to believe otherwise) is that snipers (unless instructed otherwise) should never start off an engagement, they are generally the ones in the best cover and the furthest away, and if they do alert an enemy then it is generally their team mates who pay the price by being more exposed and close to the front line.

Also a sniper should never really take a shot unless 100% sure of making it count. I'm not saying a sniper should have a `One shot, One kill` ration, that's for films. Shit happens, someone drops his cigarette and bends to pick it up and you miss. A sudden gust of wind on a still day, and you miss. But you should be 100% confident that if you squeeze that trigger and nothing unexpected happens, then that target will go down. If your not certain, then don't take the shot, a miss can be a killer for you and your team mates.

It was a great mission though and if this is a start then hell we're half way there already.

Well played everyone. :clapping:

Nice post Dai.

A lot of these points have been brought up before but since was the first mission we have tried using these type of SOP's it went about as well as we could expect, as I said most of us were trying out new kits and positions ( I also normally do the sniper/recon role) so assault was a bit of a change for me.

I agree that the snipers should be recon first and shooters second at least until the main enemy have been engaged, then they can pick off any targets out of the assault teams range or view, also one point worth making is that each person should sound off which target they have their sights on, or after the countdown one enemy will end up with 10 rounds in him while the other targets are still standing there looking at us and be very very angry.. ;)

Personally I didn't find that you spoke too much, whenever you came up on comms you gave accurate info and I knew exactly what you meant and where to look, I'm sure as we go along everyone else will gain this skill as well, it's just a practice thing, I find that I tend to communicate with the guy I am teamed up once things heat up more than the rest of the squad (unless I have seen something they can't and I need to tell them) so comments I make on comms are normally directed to someone I know can see what I am talking about (either my location in reference to theirs, or targets that are moving to our flanks etc) but I realise that this might cause confusion on TS so we probably need to get our separate channels squared away to prevent some of this.

We need to cut down on our habit of bunching up when moving or getting ready to assault, as long as you can see the guy either side of you or you know where he is but you don't have line of sight then that's close enough, and you need to make sure you keep a permanent check especially when moving so you know where everyone else is, I don't think we had a single TK last night but people had to keep asking if we had anyone in such and such an area before engaging which not only takes up TS chatter but means that a target has a longer opportunity to spot you while you are waiting to engage him.

Any more debrief ideas ?

Nice to see that it's all coming together for you all and your assault on a target is becoming favorable and careless tactics are becoming a thing of the past, thus your K/D ratio is blooming.

You should all think about and consider the use of dedicated squad medics ... They can turn the tide if they know there job and the team works with them not against them, making there job far more difficult.

I am also considering joining on an organized night, like I'm reading about above only, and fill an extra Recon/Medic position, not interested in any other role in the slightest. (Unless Solo tank whoring with 3 AI under my command)

Anyway well done to you all from what i read :D

I re wrote this post 3 times, saying one life/ respect/ endangering team mates etc.

But I deleted it all, the real truth is, with one life I for one am fully aware that my

every action can have a consequence for me and my life, also for my fellow team

mates too. Because I could light up me to the hostiles & fellow team mates, I feel that

lesson need to be learned before endangering team mates to come to my rescue.

Basically:

Stage I

NO REVIE, NO RESPAWN, NO HEAL

Stage II

NO RESPAWN, NO REVIVE

Stage III

NO RESPAWN

It worked so well, that tonight we lined up 2 maps, dependent on how many turned up,

1-8 player & 1-12 player if too many came, from one mission so much was learned, now

the players I played with started to play as a team, it never happened before with revive,

heal or respawn.

viii

I really enjoyed the mission Friday but unfortunately a PC crash is now preventing me from joing in the fun.

Have fun and I'll can catch up as soon as possible.

IPB Image....."uhh Medic"

Medics,

For those of you who don't know yet there is a "Bleed Out" script that you factor into your maps, this in turn has you slowly dieing from a simple flesh wound, or being unable to stand/walk due to a broken leg or even both legs.

Now the medics role is to be able to get to you and repair your injuries, this repair is not instantaneous either, it takes time. During this time you either have to be in complete cover or have a fire team cover your position from advancing enemy while the medic undergoes treatment.

Having this option incorporated within your maps gives another factor of realism to the event. However the medic is only as good as his/her team and in this situation the medic must remember to not be a gunner as if they die ...It's all over for the rest of you in the squad, just the same as if you stray too far from the fire team you then endanger the medic and if he dies getting to your aid you in turn just sacrificed hi/her for your own selfish needs and everyone else pays the price accordingly. So protect your medic and in turn they protect you.

When you run medic/bleed options you can then have no revive or re spawn but have a "Safety Net" to use as an integral part of your teams equipment. This in turn can help in the process of team ethics and provide a balance within the game, helping you all move on to the veteran mode for the AI in coop missions.

This is what i was meaning by having a Medic present, most of the hardcore one life servers run this incorporated in maps and after a while you will see the benefit of having this position available, especially if they can use an M24/M107 as well so they bolster your teams fire power.

L8R :)