Spartans Home

RULES of ENGAGEMENT

NoScream~SPARTA~

The list is long but distinguished and I haven't had time to compose a full one but just a couple of thing to get the ball rolling.

Weapons are Red at the start of every mission and stay that way until the squad leader issues the Weapons Green order.

People need to form up together visually and identify themselves once we get into the mission before moving off, even if it means pulling back into a safe area on insertion.

One person should be allocated as team leader for the mission (volunteers only please no press gangs) and then everyone listens to his plan and act on his orders.

Make sure each player understands what he is going to do:

A. As soon as the mission starts.

B. Once we move out to begin the mission.

C. In the event of a contact.

D. If we have any emergency RVP's if we become separated (should be marked on the map before we start the game)

E. What each players role is for the first objective (to be carried out for each objective but only one at a time)

F. Who is to take control if the leader is killed (and remains the leader even if the original leader is revived)

G. Who is 3rd, 4th etc .

Keep TS chatter to a bare minimum, type the message on screen if you have enough time and it's not urgent.

We all know there are loads more so someone else can add a few now.. :yes:

Edited by Zebb~SPARTA~

Some excellent points Zebb. I totally agree with the weapons at red until everyone's ready mark. Things tend to hit the fan as soon as someone's spotted or a shot is fired, and can throw a whole mission into chaos. I can put some suggestions up later for teams and such...

I've also noticed there is about 3 times as much TS chatter during Arma than any other game, which is great, but we can also overlap others. Maybe we should put in a couple sub-channels for squads and such, and start using the channel commander option again?

I have said all along mate that I don't want to put anyone off playing Arma for fun if that's what the majority want to do, but it can be very frustrating getting killed all the time and not completing missions because of a few basic errors that can easily be learnt.

IMO you get far more out of this particular game when everyone can play it well as a team rather than as individuals all doing their own thing and re spawning every 2 minutes...

Or am I talking cobblers?.. :wtf:

With this game, for the first time we have the possibility to play a tactical FPS. It is just a game, but it is a game through which we can raise our level of play.

I enjoy the planning, reviewing terrain, potential enemies and weapon loadouts. I am trying to improve my play to the point that I die less, I also have no problem with killing less as well.

I think there should be a plan and that when everyone is in agreement we stick to the plan. If the plan needs to be adapted we should agree on the change and not have people doing their own thing. Given my mediocre skills my game is far more enjoyable when working with a team. If I want to play a lone wolf game COD would be better suited.

With the coop missions in particular I believe that a set of guidelines will help everyone to sing from the same songsheet, so that we can complete missions not just play them.

Furthermore we shouldnt make people feel bad for providing constructive criticism, we should also keep in mind how new many of us are to this. In time with a bit of luck we will mesh together like a well oiled set of gears.

In any case please continue to develop this set of guidelines.

I like the idea of doing missions and doing it properly I've just never done it before.

Have we the resources and would people like us to continue to have 3 Arma servers with varying degrees of proper tactical to not so tactical and know which is which?

I think I will have too go push to talk whilst learning.

One thing Z hit the nail on was the "firing". You can spend 20 minutes getting into position, another 20 marking your targets, then as your assessing and prioritizing your threats, a round goes off and that whole base down there just went off like a hornets nest. It all goes out the window then and becomes "just survive". I remember Zebb, Viiiper, and a few others on one mission spotted and picked our targets by a campfire before firing, they all went down in 10 sec without them even shouldering their weapons. Durka and I did something close to that with his 203 and a platoon on the road. If I had fired early, we would of been dropped. It helps...albeit not all the time, but enough to make a diff.

Communications on a "hardcore" day should be limited to contacts and audible cues (engines, etc). Helps bigtime when someone screams "Contact NW corner" and everyone turns on that corner. Here's just one tip I learned I thought I might share. I came up with a com system that finally helped me and maybe its applicable here. After this Ill leave you guys alone lol.

When I have units in different AO's (area of operations), like our 45th behind lines destroying enemy equipment or our grunt 21st unit pushing into Corozal, etc etc; when communicating with them, I have them use their AO as a center or ref point.

For example:

If Im getting shot and I scream "on your left!", it may save the guys tail next to me, but the men in Benoma for example, all look left and wonder "???". Although its great for a smaller tight group, its hard to use clock or side ref points when units are separated. One persons 4 oclock or right side may not be the others. Sometimes this effects regular compass directions as well. " Enemies to the north!" North of what? So by making their AO center, now if the 45th is working near Bagango, Bagango becomes the center of their compass. So of they call in "Tanks - East Hill", I know that's armor by the radio tower overlooking Bagango. Now I can call in airstrike with precision.

So if you guys are are all in one group, should be cake. If your supposed to liberate Corozal, use that AO as center. Contacts North, everyone will know that's Northern Corozal. Even when you use specifics, it helps. "Enemies west of the lighthouse", you know its the lighthouse in Corozal, etc.

Just gets tricky when you have 5 seperate AO's, but then its up the the Commander's ability to disect and relay that intel. But that's in the minority. For the majority, using your AO as "Ground Zero" for your compass may help com's.

Sorry for the storyboard post but I thought this might be useful. If not, my fingers needed the exercise anyway lol.:United_States:

Edited by Seven

Lol, thanks mate good post. :thanks:

Another basic thing I would suggest is that we get this pairs system established, how many times have you got into position and taken a shot or two only to get killed by an enemy you couldn't see because he was behind you or an object or moved in from your blind side and obviously knows where you are?

Two people agree on a target, one person is the shooter the other person doesn't fire so not giving away his position but takes up a covering position over the shooter, watching the areas the shooter can't see, so that if anyone tries to move up to kill him the guy covering can pick them off, normally there are only one or two floating about, once both of you have opened fire and given away your positions start to withdraw to an pre-agreed location regroup and then decide if you need to return for more targets (obviously "shooter" and "protection" can swop roles as many time as you like or remain the same depending on your preference) or move out to the next objective.

Hopefully this will cut down the number of silly deaths we have and if we decide to run a mission with revives on (maybe one or two) them a teamate will be nearby to render aid once the area is clear, and it will mean that we will have teams of two moving about the map instead of random singles or groups of 4 and 5 making an easy target for any HE or ambush.

Remarks?.