Spartans Home

router/connection issues

Krambo

Hi,

So my internet drops out every few days, all my wireless devices stay connected, just can't access the internet

My hard wired PC also loses connection to the internet.

I have a fibre modem and a router.

The fibre modem is fine afaik, hasn't been rebooted for a while.

When i reboot the router - the internet comes back on all devices.

Does this sound like a new router? or something i should contact my ISP about?

Don't wana go fork out for a new router if its a line problem etc.

No I don't have a spare router i can test.

I haven't upgraded the firmware on my router but will do this later if anyone recommends this.

Thanks.

Edited by Krambo

Does your router have any kind of logging functions that could shed some light on what's happening?

I'd say give the ISP a call and make sure it's not a known issue on their end, if they'll admit it.

Other than that could try hard wiring the PC straight to the modem to isolate the router as a culprit.

- Hunter

it does but they are pretty shoddy, like maxes out at 12 hours then overwrites.

yeah they are pretty good and are English which helps.

I was going to give that a try but the computer is in my room so it doesn't stay on over night, so its a pain testing when it only drops every few days

Who are you with?

I had this issue with my setup, a Virgin 10mb broadband. Initially I assumed the router or modem and Virgin suggested similar, so they sent a new router to start with. Didn't really improve so an engineer came out, he checked the line all the way back to the street cabinet and eventually found a partly corroded cable, this was the issue.

Not saying it's the same for you but worth considering.

On a side note, he had no idea (other than coincidence) as to why rebooting seemed to fix the problem briefly, prior to the line being fixed.

Can i also mention...

I put in the IP address to access my router status page...all fine

try this again a few hours later and I can't get on the page...says cannot access page like it isn't connected.

at this point i DO have internet access...then it drops out maybe a day or so later.

I did a firmware upgrade on Monday and has been connected since.

Not good though knowing I cannot access the page until i reboot again.

This problem is hard to google as i'm only getting results for people who can't access the status page AT ALL.

Any ideas?

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...