Spartans Home

New Video Card for Arma3

It's getting closer to the release date so starting to think about what I will need.

The CPU is fine although might look at some more RAM.

But I am running 4870 and suspect that there are some good cards at great prices that might blow this one away. Don't get me wrong it's a great card but maybe it is worth making the upgrade in near future.

What should I be looking at?

Thanks

Lighty

As mentioned by Watchy the SSD makes a difference and at current prices is worth the upgrade

I have to echo this sentiment. I just built a new system for my dad and installed an SSD in it. Full boot completes in 5 to 7 seconds. General speed when installing programs and working is increadable.

SSD is worth it.

I have to echo this sentiment. I just built a new system for my dad and installed an SSD in it. Full boot completes in 5 to 7 seconds. General speed when installing programs and working is increadable.

SSD is worth it.

ArmA 3 especially will benefit a great deal from SSD drives. It will benefit even more from RAM drives, so if you have a lot of RAM to spare that's an excellent option for great performance in ArmA. I'd say a GTX 580 or above would be ideal for it, though you can get by with a 560 or similar. The test machine they demoed at E3 with had a GTX 580 and Intel i7 as I recall.

I got an 60 gb SSD for the os (win7 ) NICE !! ( a real goal to get one )

GPU ; sapphire 7870 ghz edition 2 GB ( get a bigger Ram card if u can , but it needs system ram too 2GB)

what i doo is ;

(arma II)

Resolution up ( 1920 X 1080 ) (increases view-distance)

Anti aliasing on normal or higher (makes sharper edges in distance ...)

Anisotropic on normal or higher ( makes see trough better on trees etc..)

shadows always off .

all the rest on normal or higher .. except the ground is on low ( hate the non see through gras ,the AI is not limited by this so why woud I)

So get a card with 2gb of ram for future reference

look in to these specs ; Rops / shaders / pixel filrate / texture filrate / bandwith / gpu clock / memory / pci-e 3.0 ? and compare .

http://www.hwcompare.com/ its not 100percent accurate but it wil doooooo

Arma III oboy oboy oboy

Edited by EBE

all the rest on normal or higher .. except the ground is on low ( hate the non see through gras ,the AI is not limited by this so why woud I)

not quite true anymore - the AI are still good, but as of Patch 1.60 or thereabouts the Devs have tweaked it so AI can't see you if the grass is over your head when prone.

ArmA 3 especially will benefit a great deal from SSD drives. It will benefit even more from RAM drives, so if you have a lot of RAM to spare that's an excellent option for great performance in ArmA. I'd say a GTX 580 or above would be ideal for it, though you can get by with a 560 or similar. The test machine they demoed at E3 with had a GTX 580 and Intel i7 as I recall.

That's the bit that bothers me regarding upgrade. If I remember the review suggesting ok performance at that spec.

580's are still £300, just on their own, whereas I can pick up a 560ti plus 120gb SSD for £265. Alternatively a 2gb 7950 for the same price.

That £265 is just about my limit and will likely be my only upgrade fund for the next year. So I just hope my q9550 & 8gb RAM will see me through.

will i make it with 8gb ram

2gig vram nividia gtx540

intel i7

windows 7

64 bit os