Spartans Home

Can someone help me troubleshoot?

Hey guys, I've been having a really bad issue with my computer for the past couple of days and I need to figure out what is wrong. I will turn it on, and it will start up, get to BIOS, and at some point, it doesn't seem to matter if its in BIOS or starting Windows, it will just automatically shut off like I turned the power off. I will try to push the power button again to turn it back on and nothing. The green light on the MOBO will still be lit as well. Here's what I've done so far to troubleshoot it, with no result:

1. Exchanged the PSU

2. Taken out all memory sticks (4) and only put in one, trying each one

3. Unplugged the video card from the power

4. Unplugged all hard drives, including the bood drive. It will power up, go into BIOS, I can fiddle with everything for a short time and it will shut off.

5. I reapplied thermal grease to the CPU

6. Unplugged all fans

7. Blew dust and cleaned the box really good

Anybody have ideas or other things I can test to see exactly what the problem is? Please don't tell me I need to replace the mobo!

timestamp='1333637502' post='84092']

Hey guys, I've been having a really bad issue with my computer for the past couple of days and I need to figure out what is wrong. I will turn it on, and it will start up, get to BIOS, and at some point, it doesn't seem to matter if its in BIOS or starting Windows, it will just automatically shut off like I turned the power off. I will try to push the power button again to turn it back on and nothing. The green light on the MOBO will still be lit as well. Here's what I've done so far to troubleshoot it, with no result:

1. Exchanged the PSU

2. Taken out all memory sticks (4) and only put in one, trying each one

3. Unplugged the video card from the power

4. Unplugged all hard drives, including the bood drive. It will power up, go into BIOS, I can fiddle with everything for a short time and it will shut off.

5. I reapplied thermal grease to the CPU

6. Unplugged all fans

7. Blew dust and cleaned the box really good

Anybody have ideas or other things I can test to see exactly what the problem is? Please don't tell me I need to replace the mobo!

[/quote

Take out that battery 5sec (small round one)on the Mobo ; will reset .. the OC and ..

remove-battery.jpg[quote name='Durka-Durka~SPARTA~' date='05 April 2012 - 04:51 PM'

Edited by EBE

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I actually replaced the battery with a new one, and made sure I waited 30sec before I put it back in. Still going through the process for about 30-45sec and shutting down.

If u have more then 1-HD (harddisk) Try only the OS. disk

Have u already tried win cd ?..

Not enough AMPS on 12v Rail.

What do you mean exactly with the Exchange of the PSU? Are you using similar rated PSU? Any new upgrades lately that would put you over your power threshold?

Motherboards act almost like a power regulator or dispertion for certain hardware (CPU, etc). Could be your CPU as well. Known many of CPU's once trying to do passive cooling will fail and cause the same issue.

Best you can do is try best to plug all your components including CPU into another board and if it doesn't fail its more then likely Mobo.

Curious what hardware do you have? CPU, Mobo, video card, PSU, memory, how many HDD's, etc

Computer Specs:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80569Q9550

MOBO: ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 275 1792MB 448-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16

Memory: 4 sticks of 4gb DDR2

HDD: 1 60gb SSD and about 3 other regular 1tb hdd

1. I took everything out of the box

2. Reseated the CPU and put the fan back on with paste

3. Put one of the computer speakers on

4. Was getting 1 long and 2 short beeps, then hooked the video card up and memory, DID NOT hook up the SSD back up yet

5. Now I'm getting one beep about every 15sec, solid green LED on the MOBo, then it shuts down again.

6. If I leave it off for about 5min or so, I can turn it on and it will last about 30sec before it dies. If I try to turn it back on immediately, it may last about 10 and gets shorter.

Thanks all for reading all this and helping out.

Oh, and the PSU is a:

PC Power and Cooling Silencer 910W High Performance 80PLUS Silver

I bought because I thought I had a faulty PSU. The old one was 850w.

No new upgrades either for months. It's worked fine since Christmas when I had a HDD failure, but that's another story.

Edited by Durka-Durka~SPARTA~

Dave,

From what you have described & done it seems to point to a component that is ok on initial power on but for some reason when active draws too much power (current) from one of the PSU lines and therefore causing the PSU to shut down & the system follows.

To boot you need:

A PSU

A Motherboard

A stick or two of memory

A CPU with cooler (fan can be disconnected for a few mins/ 3 - 4, intel CPU's have over heat protection)

A GPU (even onboard)

OK step 1.

Power on,

Goto to BIOS immediately (PRESS DEL several times).

Stay here

Does the system with the above setup stay in BIOS ?

REMEMBER, you should have no HD/CD/SOUND CARD (except onboard)/ no other item connected.

If you can stay in BIOS so far, all components powered are probably ok.

OK Step 2.

Power off

Add one component

The CD ROM player

Plug in the CPU cooler

Power on,

GOTO BIOS, (PRESS DEL)

Does the system with the above setup stay in BIOS ?

If yes, your CD & fan are good

Set boot from CD-ROM

Save & Exit

NOW insert your WINDOWS DISK (DVD/CD)

Let it boot to the CD-ROM

Does it do this?

It will report NO Hard drive found when windows CD tries to install/ find a HD.

How good so far? Did it do all the above ok?

If so, your components above are good.

OK Step 3.

Now power down/off

Add one HD, your boot HD

Power on,

GOTO BIOS, PRESS DEL

SET BOOT from HD !!!

Save & Exit.

let it reboot

How good so far? Did it do all the above ok?

more follows when you reply.....

Thanks for the help. I can't seem to lock it down to a single component (except for maybe the CPU or mobo)

I turned off the computer and took out everything, the video card, all memory, cd-rom, disconnected all hard drives, even disconnected the cpu fan. It does the exact same thing, just goes for a few seconds (max is 30 if I wait a while) and then shuts itself off.

If I wait a while, I can turn it on and I'm able to get into BIOS and if I have my video card hooked up, (showing no HD found because they aren't hooked up) I can see what's going on, but then it shuts off like it's been doing.

One part of me thinks somethings going on with the heat because I can wait a while and it will last 30sec, if I have mY SDD hooked up it will even start the boot process to W7, then shut off. If I try to turn it on again immediately afterward, it will last only a few seconds. I can have all fans running, though, with thermal grease applied, with the same affect.

If it shuts down (goes off) while your in BIOS like you say in your last post, YOUR MOTHERBOARD is BAD !!!

Most likely a component on the board.

All good motherboards should goto BIOS.

The BIOS is basically the Motherboards HD, if the PC shuts down while in BIOS, your motherboard has a problem.

all other parts have a bios error bleep.

the bios would still run.

Thanks for the help. I can't seem to lock it down to a single component (except for maybe the CPU or mobo)

I turned off the computer and took out everything, the video card, all memory, cd-rom, disconnected all hard drives, even disconnected the cpu fan. It does the exact same thing, just goes for a few seconds (max is 30 if I wait a while) and then shuts itself off.

If I wait a while, I can turn it on and I'm able to get into BIOS and if I have my video card hooked up, (showing no HD found because they aren't hooked up) I can see what's going on, but then it shuts off like it's been doing.

One part of me thinks somethings going on with the heat because I can wait a while and it will last 30sec, if I have mY SDD hooked up it will even start the boot process to W7, then shut off. If I try to turn it on again immediately afterward, it will last only a few seconds. I can have all fans running, though, with thermal grease applied, with the same affect.

i hope it gets sorted out 'me noob.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131377 (looks like more people had issue's ..

Edited by EBE

If it shuts down (goes off) while your in BIOS like you say in your last post, YOUR MOTHERBOARD is BAD !!!

Most likely a component on the board.

All good motherboards should goto BIOS.

The BIOS is basically the Motherboards HD, if the PC shuts down while in BIOS, your motherboard has a problem.

all other parts have a bios error bleep.

the bios would still run.

That's what I was afraid of. Even if it passed BIOS (when I have the HD in, it starts loading windows then shuts off) would that be an indication of a bad mobo? I've tried just about everything I can think of at this point.

Going to BIOS & the system shutting down (power off) basically points to mobo.

GPU failure would give NO PICTURE & BLEEPS

CPU FAILURE would give BLEEPS

MEMORY FAILURE would give BLEEPS

MOBO FAILURE gives no BLEEPS.

IF CPU IS over heating, goto BIOS & goto CPU page & check TEMP.

I assume your CPU cooler is working !!

First off, take EVERYTHING out of your PC case and setup a bench test (put the PC together on a bench, with a non-conductive material under it, such as wood or rubber). Put the CPU/heatsink in, and one stick of ram, and the video card if you have no onboard video. Hook it up to the PSU and then boot into BIOS.

Check your CPU temps in the BIOS to make sure it is not overheating somehow. Basically just go into BIOS and watch the temps for a few minutes to see if they are steadily rising. Also check the voltages if your BIOS allows you to, to make sure they are within the correct range.

If temps are OK it's probably the motherboard. What you described says "overheating CPU" to me though. Make sure your CPU fan is spinning.

Edited by MH6~SPARTA~

Fans are running, can a CPU overheat in under 30sec? You guys would be laughing your asses off if you saw me scrambling to get to the temp section of my BIOS before it shut off lol

CPUs can overheat in seconds, sometimes longer if they have cooled down enough.

Also, the motherboard shuts the CPU down if it overheats to prevent damage, and it usually beeps when it does this.

Edited by MH6~SPARTA~

Ok finally got to the temp monitor, 32deg C before it shut off. MB temp was I think around 25c

32C is fine. I'm still thinking it's a motherboard/CPU issue though, since you said you swapped the PSU so that shouldn't be the problem.

Motherboard issue. Diode or other solid state device that holds the power on (in essence it is a solid state equivalent to a power relay that should hold until the button is re-pushed) is tunneling and failing causing it to shut down as though power were disconnected again. That's a guess.

Any reason it would all the sudden do this? I put new thermal paste on it today but that was after it started shutting down.

There is difference in thermal paste.

Motherboard issue. Diode or other solid state device that holds the power on (in essence it is a solid state equivalent to a power relay that should hold until the button is re-pushed) is tunneling and failing causing it to shut down as though power were disconnected again. That's a guess.

So this is most-likely an issue where I need to get a new mobo, huh?