Spartans Home

DxDiag: Please take a look at this

Batwing~SPARTA~

Hi guys,

so.. I was troubleshooting that issue with the Batman game, and came to my attention this weird thing:

dxdiag.jpg

The tech support guy asked me to let him know how much Video memory I had from the Dxdiag info and it displays 748MB.

His first objection was I didn t have enough video memory to run the game. Then I explained I am using a Radeon 6970 with 2GB ddr5 mem, he didn t know what I was talking about (well, I am talking with tech support over the phone, what I do expect??).. but my memory is 2GB and not 748MB.

Do you know why I have this weird display? Do you have the same on your ystem if you call the dxdiag command?

Please let me know :)

Hey Batty - Common problem that is a MB manufacturer way of sharing system resources. In your BIOS there will be a technology call SPREAD SPECTRUM, I suggest that disable your PCI spread Spectrum. Also always double check using GPU-Z I am willing to bet that your VRAM amount will be correct. The incorrect DX numbers an be corrected by finding the culprit that is sharing resources and disable it.

Just keep in mind that once the DMA channels and the game engine are in play in conjunction with your Nvidia drivers you will be getting the full use of your Nvidia card so I would not sweat it too much.

I get a similar result, Batwing. GPU-Z returns memory size of "2048 MB", but dxdiag reports "754 MB" on Display 1 and "754 MB" on Display 2.

I have no explanation, but perhaps knowing you're not the only one will bring some peace of mind? Haha. I'm sure one of our great Spartan PC Technicians will have a well written explanation for us.

- JHunter

Edit: Haji beat me to the button. Told ya.