Spartans Home

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Skaz~SPARTA~

I have this preordered, going to pick it up tomorrow on eb games!

reviews from eurogamer 10/10

eurogamer

ign 9.5/10

ign

cant wait for it. I adopted a different approach to this game. I did up not see any videos or fansite other than the original trailer. So it is going to be a positive shock when i boot this up tomorrow

I preordered it via steam. The advantage via steam was that I could download the game files before the official release and had to wait until the activation tonight. I played an hour and was pretty impressed by the graphics-detail. A small minus however is the fact that the game is a bit too close to the console-version so that especially the inventory organisation is a bit confusing in the beginning. After the activation steam had to update the game a couple of times. Can´t wait to see more of the huge world...)

Try to resist the urge to kill any chickens in the first town. That, or save before you do. wallbash.gif

Based upon personal experience, I would recommend staying as far away from chickens as you can.

I made the mistake of watching a video about Skyrim yesterday, because I came *this close* to ordering it on Steam. Fortunately, I was able to resist the temptation. I am absolutely, positively going to purchase and play the hell out of Skyrim--once the Game of the Year edition for it has been released.

I'm with Fatal on this one. I am done paying full price especially $60 for a digital download for single player games. Waiting has its benefits as well. Most of the bugs are taken care of, possible DLC has been released and hopefully, newer drivers will have been optimized for the title.

How many players is it? co-op/ multiplayer

SP

My only concern about Skyrim is mostly this "realistic and free environment" and the fact it seems you are retarded when you start the game.

I mean, really, what is a game where you are supposed to be an hero and you might lose a fight vs Chickens? I mean really, what kind of duped chicken do they have in that place? Are they the Arma Chickens????

Besides that, exploring is great, but exploring too much to me is... too much. I am afraid you lose track of the story. it may be amazing to know that mountain I see at the horizon is there and i can climb it.. but.. do I really need to do that "in a game" ?

I am a bit skeptic about it... I guess i will wait for someone of you to play and then give some feedback.

Also, to let us know when you feel comfy to fight something more interesting than wild dogs.....

My only concern about Skyrim is mostly this "realistic and free environment" and the fact it seems you are retarded when you start the game.

I mean, really, what is a game where you are supposed to be an hero and you might lose a fight vs Chickens? I mean really, what kind of duped chicken do they have in that place? Are they the Arma Chickens????

Besides that, exploring is great, but exploring too much to me is... too much. I am afraid you lose track of the story. it may be amazing to know that mountain I see at the horizon is there and i can climb it.. but.. do I really need to do that "in a game" ?

I am a bit skeptic about it... I guess i will wait for someone of you to play and then give some feedback.

Also, to let us know when you feel comfy to fight something more interesting than wild dogs.....

Lol, you one-hit the chickens, it's not they can actually put up a fight. But apparently the townsfolk don't take kindly to that, and will attempt to avenge said chickens. I say attempt because they come at you with daggers, and seeing as how I had a massive battle axe, the fight was fairly one-sided even though I was outnumbered. Considering one of the chicken avengers was a goal for my quest, I could no longer complete said quest after I cleaved his skull in two, and so I loaded an older save and made sure not to touch the damn chickens.

Oh, and you start off almost immediately by trying to infiltrate a mountain stronghold/dungeon filled with bandits. The only wildlife you really kill early on are the occasional wolves that think you look like a tasty meal.

I modeled my character after Khal Drogo from Game of Thrones. thumbsup_anim.gif

Next I will probably make a thief character, as breaking into stores at night and stealing merchandise is pretty fun, as will the Thieves Guild assignments be.

Game is SO epic! I understand your skepticism Batwing, as I too have a fear of sandbox games that are "too" open. I usually don't do well in games that give me little direction. I didn't enjoy Oblivion that much at all for those reasons. That, and the story didn't intrigue me. But Skyrim... really something else. Bethesda has really perfected their craft with this game. Sure, it's so easy to get sidetracked from the main story all the time, but exploring and looting and following side-stories and lore has actually been made fairly entertaining this time around. There really hasn't been a dull moment since the opening scenes. That and the game is just pure eye-candy all the time. There are bits and pieces where its obvious that it's running on DX9 tech, but it's still a fantastic looking game. Combat is engaging and fun and of course the dragon fights are awesome! There's always a quest to complete, items to gather, crafting weapons and armor, enchanting them, discovering new potions, and wooing the ladyfolk (ineffectively on my part, LOL). It's still all pretty overwhelming at first, especially if you're new to Elder Scrolls games. But Bethesda did a pretty decent job this time of explaining things a bit more simply so that you aren't stuck figuring out what skill paths to take or what have you.

Hopefully others will be able to tear themselves away from the game for a few moments to post their opinions on the game as well. As for me, back to Skyrim! I'm waging war against the Empire as we speak! DOVAKHIN!

I've heard stories from other people saying that they dropped inventory items on the ground and an NPC came up and asked if he could have them. When he said yes, the NPC put them on. Another guy said he dropped a bunch of items in a tavern and the patrons started fighting over them. If that's true, that's pretty fucking epic.

Oh, and this:

I stole from the inn, went off to a mine to adventure and when I came back to the town, there were three fucking armed thugs waiting for me. They kicked my ass, but I managed to kill them. They had a contract from the guy who I stole shit from.

Fucking awesome.

I played Skyrim all day yesterday. Huge world, immersive storyline, lots of character customization, and an adaptive storyline based on your actions. I spent a few hours just walking to different towns and up the huge mountain. Nearly pissed myself when I was hunted by a yeti at night (just don't wander the woods at night) - the sound effects are so rich.

Must pull away to play BF3.

You can start w/ 5, they all build upon each other and you will read books (many) in game that can let you know what happened earlier. Essentially:

The Elder Scrolls I: Arena

The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall

The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Yeah, you can definitely play any one game and be totally fine. Playing the others just gives you some backstory/lore to the world and usually has very little to do with the current story or characters. They all take place in different regions of the world. 3-5 are the only ones that actually matter as far as story/lore goes though.

Hi Guys, I have a question? is there a 1-4, or can you start at 5?

If budgetary considerations don't come into play, I would say just get Skyrim. As the latest and greatest in the series (or so everyone says), you're getting the best version of the Elder Scrolls experience.

If money is a concern, consider getting the "Game of the Year" edition of Oblivion. The game still holds it own against anything that's been released afterwards. It's $20 via Steam, even less when it's on sale, and easily offers enough content for 200 hours entertainment--in a single play-through. If that's not enough, there is so much user made content out there that Oblivion could be the only game you play for a year.