Spartans Home

Could my gfx card be faulty?

Watchman~SPARTA~

I think the answer to this is no but I'm asking anyway, as there are better tech's on here than me:

I ran this Can you run it on my PC last night, to check for compatibility on BF3. More out of interest as I had absolutely no issues from the Beta.

Everything was wonderfully green with the exception of my grahics performance which came up with a big red No!

My card is an XFX HD4870 1024mb, now I know I won't get startling performance with that but after the beta I figured I would stick with it for the full game before I leapt for my already decided GTX560Ti replacement.

Now the above checker didn't tell me my card wasn't supported but that it had insufficient memory: The game requires 512mb minimum but it was reporting that my card only had 213mb, an odd number in itself??

I'm having no problems with any other games so I figure it's a glitch with this program but could 3/4's of my cards memory have failed without showing any outward signs?

Interestingly the checker lists my card as a 4800 series, it can't tell that it is specifically a 4870. I opened up CC Cleaner to see what thay says and that also only shows my card as a 4800 series, so is it just an issues of how the card identifies itself to this type of program?

Edited by Watchman~SPARTA~

what does cat control center say? CCC > info > hardware

a lot of stuff will see it as a 4800 series, rather than being specific so i wouldnt worry about that at all. regarding the memory, sounds odd but can't imagine at all that some of the memory has died, i think the thing would just not work at all.

grab hold of GPUZ http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/ for some detailed info about the card.

do you see a video memory check when the pc boots?

i know you wanna be sure what you have but in the mean time if the beta ran great then dont get your wallet out ;)

Forget about that faulty program.

USe GPU-Z to check your video memory and you should see it all good.

Besides the fact the beta was working fine, which is already a good sign, the reported 213MB Video RAM is just BS. If that was true, you would not be able to play any new gen game out there.

Don t get a headache about this. BF3 is seriously optimized and reported to work well on a vast number of "medium" cards and the 4870 in my opinion is a notch above medium.