Spartans Home

ATI 5970 micro stuttering

Zeno~SPARTA~

I have been plagued with stuttering from this card since the day I bought it, I could never figure out what caused the problem, but always suspected a desync between the dual GPUs. But I recently had occasion to use my backup machine which has an Nvidia GTX295 and I could see how a desync manifests itself, its not the problem with the 5970.

Early on I had ruled out heat since even under strain the hottest GPU gets to around 65oC (lets say 70oC) but that is way cooler than my old 8800s. Remember this is a problem from new so its not dust in the GPU radiator. However I believe was wrong to do so. Even though the temps under strain are not especially high, I believe the heat threshold for stuttering is quite low. I can keep the temp for most games in the 50s by cranking the fan up to 100%, but even at 100% Duke Nukem takes the gpu temp to 65oC, the stuttering kicks in at the low 60s. BFBC2 was unplayable for me, at the time I didnt understand why but now I would guess that the game pushed the temps higher still (around 70oC according to Viii) and then the stuttering was not micro, it reduced the frame rate. Viii has suffered from this exact problem on his installation, causing him to buy a 580 GTX. We chatted about this and he pointed me to a custom cooler, the The Arctic Accelero Xtreme 5970. In a test a standard 5970 peaked at 54oC in 3d mark. A 4gb version of the 5970 with this cooler peaked at 41oC. Unfortunately this is out of stock since the 5970 has been discontinued. He is searching for some in the darkest depths of the internet and with luck he will find it.

The problem is one GPU is more effectively cooled than the other on the stock cooler. As I write this, with the GPU at idle, the temps are:

GPU1 36oC

GPU2 44oC

A quick test in Duke Nukem revealed the following:

GPU1 55oC 84% max usage

GPU2 64oC 85% max usage

I hope we can find this cooler, if not I will also buy a 580GTX.

I have been plagued with stuttering from this card since the day I bought it, I could never figure out what caused the problem, but always suspected a desync between the dual GPUs. But I recently had occasion to use my backup machine which has an Nvidia GTX295 and I could see how a desync manifests itself, its not the problem with the 5970.

Early on I had ruled out heat since even under strain the hottest GPU gets to around 65oC (lets say 70oC) but that is way cooler than my old 8800s. Remember this is a problem from new so its not dust in the GPU radiator. However I believe was wrong to do so. Even though the temps under strain are not especially high, I believe the heat threshold for stuttering is quite low. I can keep the temp for most games in the 50s by cranking the fan up to 100%, but even at 100% Duke Nukem takes the gpu temp to 65oC, the stuttering kicks in at the low 60s. BFBC2 was unplayable for me, at the time I didnt understand why but now I would guess that the game pushed the temps higher still (around 70oC according to Viii) and then the stuttering was not micro, it reduced the frame rate. Viii has suffered from this exact problem on his installation, causing him to buy a 580 GTX. We chatted about this and he pointed me to a custom cooler, the The Arctic Accelero Xtreme 5970. In a test a standard 5970 peaked at 54oC in 3d mark. A 4gb version of the 5970 with this cooler peaked at 41oC. Unfortunately this is out of stock since the 5970 has been discontinued. He is searching for some in the darkest depths of the internet and with luck he will find it.

The problem is one GPU is more effectively cooled than the other on the stock cooler. As I write this, with the GPU at idle, the temps are:

GPU1 36oC

GPU2 44oC

A quick test in Duke Nukem revealed the following:

GPU1 55oC 84% max usage

GPU2 64oC 85% max usage

I hope we can find this cooler, if not I will also buy a 580GTX.

how about the 5870 cooler ?? looks the same ??(or other)

74b_thm.jpg

or Better look in to watercooling ?? (double ..)

or try maybe an ANTEC Fanspot (i had this one on my old Gt8800 stil have it in the my chica's PC

$(KGrHqJ,!h4E3ONZGdsqBN17G1c53w~~0_12.JPG (HELPS to get cool air and airflow where its needed)

i know you will fixe it greetz

Have you tried GPU-Z to see all the temps on your card?

You may have something else getting alot hotter then the GPUs that is causing the issue's.

If you cant find the air cooler you could try a Danger Den GPU block.... DD 5970

You could probably convert it to water for around $200........

Edited by Donziboy2

witch card u got FAN in the middle or fan on the side ??

do you got good case flow (like in front off case )(side case fan air IN ??)(tweak and try)

Try a FanSPOt cooler surely will help (1)

Or something crazy.. get that plastic off (2) or make more holes 5970withholes.th.jpg

( yes i said it.. in that plastic <crap> cover ..??(adjust)(flow in is usualy more then flow out so..more holes.. (balance)

(or these two together..?? (1)/(2) )

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

zalmand.png

zalmanvf900cu.png

Edited by EBE

I mean, modding is kool, but I guess there is a threshold on effectiveness/money.

5970 is for sure a great card, but if modding it can:

- Fix something and break something else

- cost one arm and one leg

- being not cost effective considering the way Graphic card industry quickly evolves

then my suggestion is:

"Mod" it into a 580 or whatever else will be out soon. ;)

Z3no, which AIB (Add In Board manufacture) makes your 5970? That makes a major difference as well. Some have better layouts and cooling solutions that don't heat up as much and perform better. I'd be interested since I use HIS.

Supposedly the 5970 was a top notch card but I also read the upper echelon 5000 series cards (5850, 5870, 5970, etc) get HOT!

Have you tried going into Catalyst and unlocking the over clock features to manually adjust Fan speeds?

Also I noticed with a friend of mines 4870x2 if we increased the voltage (in Catalyst also, last option) to +11% it actually ran cooler for some odd reason when clocking up both the core and memory clocks by 25-30MHZ

Edited by SirSmokalot

Interesting to note Z3no, XFX was fairly new to AMD with the 5000 series. They make some decent stuff back when they did nVidia stuff.

May I suggest if you ever go with AMD go with HIS, they make some solid cards and have won countless awards for their quality and build, let alone Overclocking from factory standard on their IceQ Turbo cards. Also they tend to run cooler in the reviews.

Have fun with the 580, good card but lots a dough. Could probably get 2 6950's for the price of one of those.

Also looked at the feedback for that XFX 5970 specifically, alot of bad feedback of DOA's and dies after 4 weeks of decent usage non-overclocked.

• 3 weeks later...