Spartans Home

SSD and applications

Hunter~SPARTA~

So, I took advantage of the Newegg sale yesterday on the OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD. I will also be leave my 150GB VelociRaptor in for most of installs as well as some storage. Already looked into how to move my Windows "User" profiles to the storage drive instead of keeping them on SSD.

I was curious to hear what programs/games you all have found truly benefit from running on an SSD.

- JHunter

P.S. - I get the feeling if I don't acknowledge that any program should run faster on the SSD, that I will be getting some smart ass replies. So yes, I get that, but I hope you get what I'm looking for here.

I got a Vertex 3 240GB last week to replace a vertex 2 120GB that was my boot drive and out of space, the process took 30-40mins inc. making an image of the boot drive with 'ACRONIS TRUE IMAGE' Home edition. My stats.

HDD (fastest HDD)

Sata 2 performance of HDD in system 120/85MB/s READ/WRITE

VERTEX 3

Sata 2 performance is a solid 250/230MB/s READ/WRITE

Sata 3 performance is 550/520MB/s READ/WRITE

Monster performance,

You will only get full benefit on one of your SATA III ports....

You'll be motoring..... ,boot time is faster & game load time in nearly 1/2 (Eve online client).

:thumbsup_anim:

MY SSD runs

Windows 7

Photoshop CS5 64bit

Eve online client

Video studio X4

Ableton Live 8.1

Maschine

Office 2010 64bit

--

Honestly, start-up loading times for things don't bother me too much. However, pop-in issues in games like ArmA do, and that is a result of the disk read speed. This is why I store most of the ArmA2 data files in a RAM disk for the fastest read speed possible, but an SSD would be the next best thing.

So, essentially any game/program that has to access the HDD repeatedly during normal operation (i.e. not bootup) would be good candidates for storing on the SSD. This includes, but is not limited to, MMORPG/RPGs, Simulators (ArmA/LockOn & DCS), and other games where content is loaded "on-demand" as needed (in other words, games with very large worlds).

Then if I had extra disk space left over I'd throw some of my more commonly used applications on it (Photoshop, for example). And obviously you'd want your O/S on the SSD. Good move switching your User data to another HDD, I did that as well and it helps improve the SSD's life.

Everything else is perfectly fine running on my Velociraptor.

Good move switching your User data to another HDD, I did that as well and it helps improve the SSD's life.

I suppose I should have been more clear... I haven't actually received the drive yet, at the time of this writing. It is supposed to arrive today, however.

Anyway, I have read a few different methods to get this done. Which route did you take, MH6?

- JHunter

I suppose I should have been more clear... I haven't actually received the drive yet, at the time of this writing. It is supposed to arrive today, however.

Anyway, I have read a few different methods to get this done. Which route did you take, MH6?

- JHunter

I just copied my entire Users directory over from the C:\ drive to my E:\ Raptor drive, and used mklink (in command prompt) to create a directory link to the new destination, I believe with the parameter /J. So essentially everytime something pointed to C:\Users, it was automatically redirected to E:\Users.

Though to do this, I recall having to boot into Recovery mode with my Windows 7 CD so I could use the built-in command prompt and copy the Users directory over/make a link to it. If you tried to do it while running the O/S off the SSD, it would give you an access denied error, but when using the Windows 7 utilities on the boot CD it does it no problem (because the main O/S isn't actually loaded, and is inactive when using the boot CD)

I just copied my entire Users directory over from the C:\ drive to my E:\ Raptor drive, and used mklink (in command prompt) to create a directory link to the new destination, I believe with the parameter /J. So essentially everytime something pointed to C:\Users, it was automatically redirected to E:\Users.

Though to do this, I recall having to boot into Recovery mode with my Windows 7 CD so I could use the built-in command prompt and copy the Users directory over/make a link to it. If you tried to do it while running the O/S off the SSD, it would give you an access denied error, but when using the Windows 7 utilities on the boot CD it does it no problem (because the main O/S isn't actually loaded, and is inactive when using the boot CD)

is there anything u can't fix guys ..

noob.jpg