Spartans Home

Power Supplies

Punisher~SPARTA~

I've been meaning to upgrade my whole machine, and have finally decided to do so one part at a time.

I have a general idea of parts that I want to get after reading a lot around here but know nothing about power supplies.

I was looking at this, and was wondering if that is enough power to future proof (I know nothing if future proof in the pc world, but I'm looking to shoot a little into the distance). I'm looking to get one of the new 8800 GTS 512 in a few weeks depending on a couple factors, and would eventually consider SLIing it in the future.

Just looking for some general ideas about PSUs, so any advice would be appreciated.

Hey Punisher,

I would recommend only buying PSUs from folks that manufacture them as their specialty and not re-branders. Power supplies are a lot more involved than most realize and I would say take a look at these two, understand the data sheets and then see who can compare on all points.

Enermax Galaxy

PC Power and Cooling Turbo Cool

I put up the 1KW as a reference point for 'future growth'. They both make less powerful and more economical versions.

Just my 2 cents

I read some where that if you are going to go sli with the 8800gtx you are going to need a SLI ready p/s at least 800 watt and up for 2 cards. I dident bother to read the power specs on the 8800 gt it might be the same or maybe less. I advise you to read up on it before buying one.

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~

Thermal Take make exellent psu. I have a Toughpower 850w modular and the output is really good Even the peek perfomance is almost 850W wich isn´t something u get everywere.

Go for the "tested" ones. A lot of us has been building systems for a while now and i have always used Thermal Take without any issues. I have also build a system with Hyper TypeR 580W and that also performet very well and was really stable.

If u don´t consider building a system with 8800GTX sli u dont need more power than 580-650w. CPU and rams are gettting more economical over time wich means less powerconsumption. Don´t buy a 1000W if u are building anything less than a battlecruiser its overkill.

Why would you want to avoid rebranders? Just curious, since if they are just reselling something from a quality manufacture. This is the oringal model and from what I've read there reliable, but I really don't know what I'm talking about.

Is there any real advantage?

Okay play along for a bit.

Say you made power supplies. When you test electronics some will fail, some may squeak by if you 'take liberties' with the spirit of the spec and check output power at the coolest end of the temperature range for example...and some will be rock steady stellar performers across the board.

You sell these supplies under the 'Punisher' brand name. I approach you and want to sell some as 'X-Wind' brand. Which ones are you going to keep for the 'Punisher' brand and which ones will you let go to me?? See what I mean.

The consumer says 'heck may as well by the X-Wind brand they're priced lower and are the same things anyway'....oh are they really?

And that's just one oversimplified reason to avoid re-branding.

There's enough information on various pages at the two links I put up previously to help you understand why you want to go with only the best power supply available. If you find some that compare (no single transformer designs) then please let us know. The image cycling above the page at the link you provided definitely shows a single transformer...multi-tap design.....run.

I realize there are a lot of PSUs floating around....take your time and check them out as carefully as you would your GPU.

Whichever way you choose to go I truly hope it goes perfectly and gives you years of trouble free operation.

Peace

Edit ps...

Compare the inside of the PSUs you're considering to this:

IPB Image

(edit to add photo)

Edited by X-Wind~SPARTA~

Thanks a bunch X-Wind. Plain and simple so I can understand it.

After some reading, I found the PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad 750W. Its SLI certified for 2 GTXs, a single rail with 60 amps, 750W continous load with 825W peak load.

Hopefully I'm moving in the right direction

Probably any one u pick will satisfy u needs but i would still go for something that the lot of us has tested and i have found out that there is a majority of people i have talken to that runs this:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/main.php?do...&cid=PS.808

Its exellent. A rule of thumb:

If ZENO ownes it its good ;)