Spartans Home

First image ever from Mercury's orbit

MedicSN6

I think what's really amazing is how ours isn't!

I think that's what I was trying to say :) How drastic the difference is. We get hit by meteors all the time, but they never make an impact like the ones we see on those planets. It's really amazing how perfectly aligned our solar system is to support life here on Earth. From Jupiter's big brother role of protecting us against big asteroids, to our perfect distance from the sun.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that's what I was trying to say :) How drastic the difference is. We get hit by meteors all the time, but they never make an impact like the ones we see on those planets. It's really amazing how perfectly aligned our solar system is to support life here on Earth. From Jupiter's big brother role of protecting us against big asteroids, to our perfect distance from the sun.

We do catch alot of the small ones in our atmosphere, but in fact we are getting pummeled with meteors at similar rates as the rest of the planets. What is different is our weather system erodes most of the signs, whereas objects such as our moon or Mercury do not have active weather systems with high erosion rates and large oceans to erode away the signs of meteoric activity.