Spartans Home

On the market for a new Videoocard

Batwing~SPARTA~

Hey there,

I am coming from a 2 HD 4850 in Crossfire and they served very very well so far, I can t really complain.

Theoretically I do not even need a new card but I have this config sice about 1 year now and i feel is the moment to move ahead and get closeer to the new top line cards available.

I have a budget of about $350.

when you have 5 minutes, elaborate this research I made and tell me your opinion.

Actually there are 4 cards I could be interested in:

2 models for 6850:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102908&cm_re=hd_6850-_-14-102-908-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150515&cm_re=hd_6850-_-14-150-515-_-Product

for a total price around $360 (about $358 after some discount..) and I would go Crossfire with them. I have to buy 2 different models due to an issue with the cooling, too long to explain but just understand that is the reason why I have to get 2 different models.

But then I started thinking, if i have a budget of $360, what about the 69xx serie, so I came out with these 2 cards, both XFX with beautiful warranty:

6950:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150518&cm_re=hd_6950-_-14-150-518-_-Product

for a price of $280

6970:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131385&cm_re=hd_6970-_-14-131-385-_-Product

for a price of $360 after promo code

Now, it happens also these 2 XFX cards are the subject of this very nice review:

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/amd_hd6970_hd6950_review/

and the 6850 CF are subject of thise review:

http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-6850-6870-crossfirex-review/1

Reading reviews is always important keeping in mind the CPU will be part of the results, so I can say that my i7 920, OC @ 3.5 should be pretty close to those performances they show in both reviews.

To make a long story short anyway, I can give you a snapshot of a few results:

Performances at very high settings at 1980*1200

Bad Comp 2 DX 11 Crysis Warhead DX10 Metro 2033 DX11 CoD MW2 DX9

6850 CF 75 68 40 134

6950 70 47 32 92

6970 78 52 35 98

Unfortunately it doesn t keep the format of my table, so read that as FPS first number for the first game above and so on and so forth, thanks.

What i am thinking is that the 6950 is the way to go for a few reasons:

1 - overall performance --

Keep in mind human eye cannot see anything beyond about 30 FPS. Pushing high performances is there to guarrantee that the worst performance doesn t drop below 30 FPS. I cannot be totally sure about it but with those performances it is arguable

2 - Room for improvement --

If I go for the 6850 CF solution, I have a barely better immediate performance but it cannot be improved in the future and is a barely better performance costing $80 out of my pocket and it will be a loss in the future

3 - Better driver support --

it is true to say that CF is quite good, when it works. Drivers are always working better with a single GPU better than handle multiple ones. Therefore my orientation to try to not count on the CF config to achieve good performances. If it works cool but if it doesn t I am still pretty good. In the future drivers will be better and better and moving to a 6xxx CF config will be more reliable.

4 - Better heat management inside the case and possible better power management --

5 - Better immediate price out of pocket with minimal loss of performances --

Let me know what do you think about this options as soon as you can :)

Edited by Batwing~SPARTA~

Thanks Idan, good link.

Following that link and going reading their review of 6950 and 6970 I think my conclusion 6950 is the way to go is stronger than ever.

Nice to see they benchmark the minimal FPS value, which is the only one make sense to me. Once you see your card will never go below 40 FPS (on the resolution you are used to play at), you are totally sure you are going to enjoy the best quality you can for your money.

Considering the opportunity in a few months to enjoy a drop in price and add a second 6950 CF, then we are talking of a top-notch performance system.

I was doing research and had quite a long article to post but you ended up EXACTLY on the card I was going to recommend Batwing! Congratulations on a very solid purchase!

One of the major advantages you have (if you choose to pursue it) is the possible firmware update that essentially gives you a 6970!

yep my man :)

great minds think alike ;)

I know about the possible BIOS update, although i m not totally sure I am going to pursue that way, just to squeeze other few FPS. Difference is not really wothing the warranty void :)

However, I am pretty sure she is gonna Serve the Country with Proud :)

Lol, I hate you too Haji... with love ;)

About the Eyefinity is not in budget.. i have a single 26" monitor and that will be enough for long time I think :) (never say never tho...)

Lol Dai... it looks like you are not the biggest ATI-AMD fan, are you? :)

EDIT:

Oh Haji.. I forgot to tell you... I have the box right here on my desk at my office, they just delivered :)

Edited by Batwing~SPARTA~

Lol, I hate you too Haji... with love ;)

About the Eyefinity is not in budget.. i have a single 26" monitor and that will be enough for long time I think :) (never say never tho...)

Lol Dai... it looks like you are not the biggest ATI-AMD fan, are you? :)

EDIT:

Oh Haji.. I forgot to tell you... I have the box right here on my desk at my office, they just delivered :)

A_man_crying_because_his_computer_has_died_100408-025693-359060.jpg

I wish you all the luck on your install...... thumbsup_anim.gif

A_man_crying_because_his_computer_has_died_100408-025693-359060.jpg

I wish you all the luck on your install...... thumbsup_anim.gif

Can't be worse than the ATI rubbish mate, this was my first and last ever ATI card. Horrible software, worse hardware and a fan that sucks small children and dogs in if they get within 6ft of my PC. I have never HAD to wear a headset to play games before but the noise from this thing is crazy.

Dai, I do respect your pain and I am sure you have good reason for it.

I have a feeling you got a wrong product anyway. Shit happens.

Far away from trying to bring you on the ATI wagon, however, on the other side, i couldn t be happier right now !

This is my 3D Mark 11 result and I consider it very respectable:

http://3dmark.com/3dm11/676781

During this heavy test I was monitoring with GPU-Z and it came out my fan was running at 32% (automatic) total quite, with a GPU load at 100% and a max heat at 73 celsius.

I honestly cannot ask anything better to a new generation card.

On the side, overclockability is amazing:

Stock: 800 / 1250

OC: 900 / 1400

And is solid like a rock. i could push it more, but honestly I don t need it.

So, I really think you got an unfortunate card my man...