Spartans Home

ACE help, Please :)

Batwing~SPARTA~

Hi guys,

I am intrigued by ACE, but I cant really find clear instructions to use stuff, so I would like to ask to you guys ACE vets :)

I was testing the new ACE 1.8 and I have a few questions

About the Cobra

-- Cockpit radar has been removed. Is there a way to toggle on again? How am I supposed to engage enemies? JUst for a reality sake, is this real? I mean, Cobra does not have any Radar and we were spoiled by an "easy" game?

About Missile guidance for Choppers

-- I can t figure out a way to lock my Hellfires. Apache still has a cockpit radar, so I tested to see if i can get a lock but no joy.

Opening Map, there is a CBA section for dedicatec ACE commands. There it says Gunship Lase = L. I tried that in the Apache but what it does is turning lights on and off

In an older ACE version there was a mouse command Laser on, using that I was able to lock Hellfires L at least. Never been able to lock Hellfires K anyway. Now that option is gone and I can forget the Hellfires L as well.

So, to make a long story short, I would really appreciate if someone is going to share a simple guide "how to" with simple steps for dummy ppl like me, so I can try to enjoy this version.

Just to ask, is that possible some CBA commands are not working because of my CBA version? I thought the CBA ACE stuff was all inside the all-in-one Sparta pack anyway.

Any help is welcome :)

I am by no means an ACE vet, nor have I spent very much time in any of the aircraft. So if I say something that is incorrect, someone please correct me.

Batwing, if my memory serves me correctly you should still be able to obtain a lock with the "L" Hellfire while you are the pilot by pressing tab. The "K" version is wire-guided, so you will need a gunner for that. When the gunner fires the Hellfire, it will track to wherever the gunner has the crosshair aimed.

I am not aware of anyway to turn on the radar for the Cobra.

The correct CBA version *is* bundled in the Sparta all-in-one, so that should not be your issue.

- JHunter

Thx for your replies guys.

Sooo....

I guess as a first point I get the thing in ACE you need to have the gunner, which make sense.

About the L function, I am sure as a Pilot it doesn t help with the weapons, it just turn external lights on/off. I wonder if it assumes a different role as a Gunner, activating laser as supposed to be.

Well, one day I will test with someone as a gunner :)

Also, I remember as a gunner when using missiles, on the mouse wheel there were several options probably related to how to lock them. Any idea how to use those options? Can t recall at the moment the options, but some were HI and others LO... never understood in full what they are.

Finally I found more, and this is useful to know.

There is no specification but I get for granted you need to have a gunner handling the weapons, I dont think Pilot can do any of this on his own.

Aircraft FCS

Gunship turret gun auto-adjustment

Are aids that determine range to target and automatically adjust the aim point to compensate for distance and relative speed.

Currently they are enabled on AH-1, AH-64, Mi-24D/V and Ka-52 gunships.

Guided Missile systems

The missile FCS allow you to select the target and possible attack modes for that missile. The details vary according to type.

AGM-114K (usually AH-1 Cobra)

Is a laser-guided munition, A laser designator must point be aiming at target in order for it to strike - either the gunner operating the on-board laser or a ground unit using a SOFLAM. The AGM-114K supports multiple attack modes.

LOBL

Lock On Before Launch. The missile must see the laser target before launch. It will fly directly to that target. If the gunner's laser designator is inactive the missile will automatically switch to LOAL-DIR.

LOAL-DIR

Lock On After Launch - Direct Trajectory. The missile will acquire the target after launch. It will fly a level course in the direction of launch until it "sees" the laser.

LOAL-LO

Lock On After Launch - Low Trajectory. The missile will acquire the target after launch. It will fly upward in the direction of launch until it "sees" the laser. This allows the missile to clear a hill or ridge you are hiding behind and still attack.

LOAL-HI

Lock On After Launch - High Trajectory. The missile will acquire the target after launch. It will fly steeply upward in the direction of launch until it "sees" the laser. This allows the missile to clear a hill or ridge you are hiding behind and still attack.

The laser target can appear after launch when LOAL modes are selected.

Target must be within 70° of current flight direction.

AGM-114L (curently AH-64D Apache Longbow only)

Is a fire and forget system, using GPS and own radar guidance. Target data is downloaded to the missile at launch by the Longbow radar prior to launch. It uses the same launch modes as the AGM-114K, but only for trajectory management. Laser designation is not needed for this weapon.

About the 114L honestly I think it has to still be a locking procedure from the Gunner, because the Pilot can t do it.

I have a better idea now and i hope this can help others too.