Spartans Home

Upgrading PC

Pikey~SPARTA~

Hey All after some time tinking about Stuff im in the process of wanting to Upgrade My Pc

Heres what i had in mind

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/128gb-kingston-ssdnow-v100-25-ssd-flash-memory-read-250mb-s-and-write-230mb-s

http://www.scan.co.uk/Shop/Computer-Hardware/Overclocked-3XS-Bundles the one is the Slik Core i7 950 £537.59.

Do you guys think this will be a decent setup ?

Pikey

PC Gamer magazine does a fair job of staying on top of PC gaming hardware trends today.They publish a chart every month which lists hardware that is considered the norm for our intended use. Below is a copy of the chart published this month. This chart by no means is the gospel but it certainly helps one to gauge where their current rig is or where the hardware they are considering will cost.

gamerig.jpg

The monetary amounts listed above are in U.S. Dollars

Edited by Hajimoto

Qty.Product DescriptionSavingsTotal Price119-103-849-02.jpg

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor

Item #:N82E16819103849

Return Policy: CPU Replacement Only Return Policy

$229.001GC-000-001-02.jpg

Newegg Promotional Gift Card - $10.00

Item #:N82E168GC000001

135-118-019-02.jpg

ZALMAN CNPS9700 LED 110mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler

Item #:N82E16835118019

Return Policy: Standard Return Policy

-$7.00 Instant

$59.99

$52.99113-131-655-02.jpg

ASUS M4A89TD PRO/USB3 ATX AMD Motherboard

Item #:N82E16813131655

-$10.00 Instant

$184.99

$174.99135-100-007-02.jpg

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound

Item #:N82E16835100007

Return Policy: Consumable Item Refund Only Return Policy

$9.99117-371-012-21.jpg

Antec TruePower Quattro TPQ-1000 1000W Continuous Power "compatible with Core i7" Power Supply

Item #:N82E16817371012

-$25.00 Instant

$25.00 Mail-in Rebate

$199.99

$174.99114-121-401-03.jpg

ASUS Radeon HD 6870 EAH6870/2DI2S/1GD5 Video Card with Eyefinity

Item #:N82E16814121401

Return Policy: VGA Standard Return Policy

$259.99220-145-260-02.jpg

CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory

Item #:N82E16820145260

Return Policy: Memory Standard Return Policy

$10.00 Mail-in Rebate Card

$119.98Grand Total:$1,021.93I think i Posted this B4 but This I the rig Im building...:)

Make sure you buy the right power supply for future GPU card .(they use less power in future but some off them still use alot.)

Pc building sweeeeeeeeeeeet

Hey there :)

That SLIK bundle at 537 pounds it s interesting. It s a final price at $829 and is quite in line with prices you can get also if you wanna get separate components.

Let s talk for one moment about the OC stability. The OC'd at 4 Ghz.

What it really counts on OC is the running temps due to your personal environment. Overclocking just a bundle like that, without offering a case as a reference to establish what kind of cooling system was used while testing the speed, leaves me quite confused. So you have to approach this problem on your own.

While 4 Ghz is certainly a feasable speed for that processor, to achieve it you have to be sure to have some conditions:

1 - Cooling system - Airflow - Case Quality: This means be sure to buy a great Case, large, probably a full tower and be sure to achieve a great airflow with plenty of large fans inside pulling and pushing air in the right way. During assembly, keep your job clean, stick cables together and keep a large amount of room between components (that s why you want a full tower). Don t be cheap on the case

2 - Working environment: I do not mean you have to play games in a refrigerator but you have to consider your room average temp and most importantly the case location. Be sure to give plenty of room to the fans to use fresh air. Depending where your fans are, be sure to leave open access to ventilation.

3 - Monitor and keep it clean: I am sure it is coming with some monitor software, however do not trust the software from the motherboard, sound silly but is unfortunately true. My suggestion would be to install free monitors like Core temp and CPUID Z. Also you want to get a stress tester to check stability, called Prime 95 and be sure, after assembled your PC stay stable at 4 Ghz with good temps on working environment.

After all of that, if it is working as sold, GOOD JOB! you are free to enjoy :)

I am running my i7 920 at 3.5 Ghz and is extremely solid. I know I could push it up to 4+ but I saw many reviews where they were using liquid cooling to keep it safe at 4 Ghz and above.

Check the terms of warranty on that deal, because honestly, I don t see how they can guarrantee their product to work as sold without a cooling system and case specification.

About the SSd i have a personal opinion and probably this will not make me very popular, but well.. is my opinion.

Although is undiscussed the speed you can achieve with SSD, I think is way too much expensive for what really offer to an average final user (although he can be an avid gamer)

The most common way to improve speed keeping prices in a reasonable range is using RAID 0 configurations. You can decide to have 2 or multiple of 2 HDD set in RAID 0 and it will already provide an excellent improvement.

If you compare prices between SSD and HDD, there is no... comparison really. My point is while you are spending 200% more than what you would spend for a good RAID config, you are not getting 200% improved performances.

If you put the access performances ina scale, you will have:

Single HDD = Slow (however, it s slow but we survived with that for years, right?)

RAID 0 HDD = Fast. In general and depending on good disks quality is 150% faster than a single HDD. Price and full amount of GB you will get from it are today very effordable. RAID configuration and setup today with Win 7 is completely seamless during BIOS setup.

Single SSD = Faster and expensive. As i said above, price is not justifying the speed increase compared to the way smaller GB available.

RAID 0 SSD = Crazy fast, crazy expensive. Become just a matter to say "mine is bigger than yours" but totally useless for standard users. Make sense for data farms, huge servers environments and stuff and applications you will never use in your life.

RAID can be confusing at first but if you read a Wiki about it you will see is simpler than what you think.

Quick example:

RAID 0 = performance. It needs 2 or multiple of 2 disks. It works just using all the disks to store data and is for speed only, no back up.

RAID 1 = Backup. It needs 2 disks. Also called Mirroring because it duplicate disk 1 to disk 2 for backup.

RAID 5 = A sort of mix of the 2 above. It is not aiming at performances. Works on 3 disks, using 2 together nad having the 3rd as backup. It is more complex than this and I suggest you to just google it.

However, what u want is RAID 0 and it needs 2 drives only. Be sure to choose at least 7200 rpm and the most cache memory you can. They have to be the same size, possibly the same model.