Spartans Home

Let's go Retro

DaiSan

So there I was, bored and looking for something to play. I was looking on the Diaspora site and wishing they would release the game when I read a thread and someone mentioned FreeSpace.

Now I don't know if any of you played it back in the day but it was awsome.

So I think to myself "Hmmm, wonder if I should buy a copy off Amazon" just for giggles. Then I remember a 'Babylon 5' total conversion that was in progress when I used to play.

So... I start investigating and nearly fell off my chair when I discover that not only was it completed, but it updated the graphics to Hi-Def models and included loads of fixes etc. But best of all, it's a standalone conversion (no need for the original FreeSpace) and... wait for it... TOTALLY FREE.

I downloaded immediately and gave it a whirl, man, the memories came flooding back. This version is fantastic, not only do you get to pilot 'StarFury's' but also many other ships from the B5 universe. It supports almost any Joystick (easy X52 configuration, read it and weep BlackShark) AND TrackIR.

You can HOST the Campaign or missions in Co-op, or do Team DM or DM.

I would REALLY love to get a load of you guy's together to play through the Campaign, it would be fantastic. What have you got to lose, it's FREE !!!!!!

If your interested take a look Here

All you need to download is

DVD Part 1

DVD Part 2

And Also

Project Zathras

Hope some of you decide to give this a go as it's great fun flying as a 'Wing' in space.

And remember... Unlike NFS Shift or BlackShark... "In space... No-one can hear you scream"

Good stuff mate, 2 things that are vital.

1: Adjust the sensitivity and deadzone of your joystick until it is just right for you otherwise you will be overcompensating all the time trying to keep your guns on target.

2: Map keys for the Vectored Thrust. This allows you to keep your sights on the larger targets but avoid their return fire by strafing left/right/up/down.

Uhhh.. this looks very promising :)

I am downloading and I ll give it a shot for sure :)

I have to admit, I know "nothing" about Babylon 5 universe, so all these crafts are totally new to me , but hey.. i m openminded :)

EDIT:

I m downloading and reading the website info. It says it comes without missions or campaiigns, but you can download them. When i clik on those links to download missions, it returns PAGE NOT FOUND.

Do I need that stuff and is there another download page ?

Edited by Batwing~SPARTA~

Maybe to pass the jupiter mission you need to kill someone ? :) hehhe just kidding :)

I have to say i find it way more difficult what i expected and very weird thing.. after playing it 10 minutes gives me nausea !!!!

It s the first tinme it happens with a game ! Probably all of that pulling and pushing up and down and the big screen.. doesn t help too much ! :)

For this reason unfortunately i do not think i ll be on this game too much :)

Ok, so I've figured out why I'm finding this game so difficult this time around.

Save yourself all the grief and frustration of not being able to kill shit. Use Keyboard and Mouse. The Joystick is just not accurate enough, you just find yourself overcompensating all the time. Mouse makes it so much easier.

Had a couple of bashes online yesterday with Batwing and Zeno and can host a game easily enough.

Batwing, give it a go with the mouse, you don't end up flying around in circles and constantly trying to keep stuff in your sights (which was making me a bit dizzy). Instead you can track stuff smoothly which stops the nausea.

Edited by Dai-San~SPARTA~

I tested with Keyb and Mouse.

It s WAT BETTER. However, whoever mapped commands for this thing was definetely UNDER THE INFLUENCE of something !

The standard commands are just unreasonable. It needs to be totally re-mapped to have important commands easy to go and I really don t feel like doing it. I might change my mind.

Actually, just to give u an example, look att the Throttle controls:

A and Z Thhrust, then [,],\ and backspace are for 1/3, 1/2, full and STOP thrust presets, then ALT+ numpad+ thrust up and ALT+ numpad Enter thrust down .......

WHAT THE HELL ! IT IS SPANNED ON THE FULL KEYBOARD WITH NO EFFICENCY! LOL.. am I supposed to have freking 15 fingers per hand ???

This is just a small example and you will see so many other commands in the same condistions and those are commands you need to use all the time.

So, I managed to go thru thhe first 3 Campaign missions and is interesting, but I need to modify the commands and that is not really appealing.

Dai-got it working a few moments after you logged off.

It was related to admin settings again, half of the changes we made in the launcher.exe didn't stick. The web-settings yes, but not the others. At the moment I can't remember exactly what I changed, but MP worked on next startup.

I poked around in the training-that whiny Aussie instructor, little pissant, he needs to retire.

Definitely will work on remapping the keys-batwing was completely right! Absolutely nutty.

Remapped enough to struggle through the first 2 campaign missions. Ready for more!

How do you keep from drifting into big ships? I spawned in the 2nd mission right on top of some giant thing and bashed around it for a while until weakly limping away. Is there a command to turn tail and run?

Also-how do you target subsystems? I have keys mapped for it, but nothing happens when pressed in the 3rd mission to disable that big evil thing. I could command wingfighters to disarm, and the ship certainly can take subsystem-specific damage (individual engines, turrets, etc), but targeting them! Otherwise I had to wait for whichever odd part shot at me before I could shoot back.

I'd love to see this one graphically updated, it would help loads identifying what the hell I'm squinting at.

Remapped enough to struggle through the first 2 campaign missions. Ready for more!

How do you keep from drifting into big ships? I spawned in the 2nd mission right on top of some giant thing and bashed around it for a while until weakly limping away. Is there a command to turn tail and run?

Also-how do you target subsystems? I have keys mapped for it, but nothing happens when pressed in the 3rd mission to disable that big evil thing. I could command wingfighters to disarm, and the ship certainly can take subsystem-specific damage (individual engines, turrets, etc), but targeting them! Otherwise I had to wait for whichever odd part shot at me before I could shoot back.

I'd love to see this one graphically updated, it would help loads identifying what the hell I'm squinting at.

Erm... Point away from em and use your thrusters or afterburner.

As for targeting subsystems, you need to target the vessel first as normal, then target it's subsystems.