Spartans Home

Impulse Buy

MH6~SPARTA~

Good ol' impulse buys...

Just purchased an Intel X25-M 80GB SSD, WD 2TB Caviar Black, WD 120 GB External HDD, and 6 GB of DD3 RAM (to add to my current 6).

The SSD will be my new O/S and commonly used programs/games drive, my current WD 300GB 10000RPM Velociraptor will become my applications and games-I-don't-play-often-enough-to-care-about-load-times (or that load quick enough already) drive, the 2TB drive will join my current 1TB drive as storage, and the 120gb external I'll use to make my life easier when backing up client computers before reformats (It was only $20 and came bundled with the 2TB drive so I figured what the hell). I'll also be getting a free copy of R.U.S.E with my SSD. thumbsup_anim.gif

I'll finally be upgrading from Vista to Win7, and I'm finally going to seriously try my hand at overclocking my system, which is composed of:

• Intel i7 920 (w/ after-market TRUE heatsink)
  • EVGA x58 Tri-SLI Motherboard
  • Nvidia GTX 280
  • (Soon to be) 12GB DDR3 RAM

I'll also probably be buying an ATI 5970 soon. Which will be beast.

So, since I'm new to SSDs, are there any tips and tricks I should be aware of to help prolong their life, increase performance, etc., etc.?

Also, this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_Jz7IMwBt4&feature=related

Nice purchase. The reason I didn't buy one yet is because, from what I have read on good sites like Tom's, their longevity is half of what a 7200 rpm drive's is and it is twice the cost. One on one they are faster than a standard HDD but the speed increase is fairly negligible. To have a significant speed increase you need to run them in RAID.

So, until the prices come down and the life span goes up, I'll be sticking with my old HDDs.

Skip the 5970, get a 5870 as the core speeds are about the same with not that many stream processors to offset the cost

Eh, I would, but my plan is to eventually run three monitors in high resolution using Eyefinity, which is why I lean toward the 5970. Double the geepus! Can't beat dual GPU cards.

I think is always a matter of budget/performances. If you have the budget, why don t shoot for the Top? 5970 is indeed the top, just be sure you have the right PSU now. Wattage become important.

About the SSD, you made your decision so congrats about your very speedy drive :)

Besides the ratio price/size which obviously is not in SSD favor, I am not really aware of specific issues. Veery early SSD versions were suffering some problems, but i heard they have been solved with newer releases and your SSD should belong to those.

An SSD actually should not have a longevity issue comparable with any HHD because there are no moving parts. However, as we know parts can fail at any time, so honestly... just enjoy it.

Your SSD is treated like any other drive, so you will not notice any difference besides speed. It will not require a defrag.

I would suggest anyway to partitioning the SSD to assign a few GB to the OS and the rest to Data. this is to make your life way easier in case the OS partition get a virus or you have to reinstall the OS.

If you use any Partition cloning software, reinstalling a fresh OS on a configuration like this is matter of 10 minutes. Great time saver

Have fun :)

Edited by Batwing~SPARTA~

When I got my 4870 X2 it came with the usual crossfire cable. Out of interest has anyone bothered to stick two 4870x2 in a crossfire mode, does it work? Do you need headphones for the associated turbine noise?

Seeing as I never got round to fitting the second card to the other half's machine I am strangely intrigued by the prospect.

When I got my 4870 X2 it came with the usual crossfire cable. Out of interest has anyone bothered to stick two 4870x2 in a crossfire mode, does it work? Do you need headphones for the associated turbine noise?

Seeing as I never got round to fitting the second card to the other half's machine I am strangely intrigued by the prospect.

Yes, it works--though I haven't tried it personally (since I couldn't afford over a thousand dollars in video cards alone at the time)

Got my SSD, HDD, and RAM installed last night, as well as Windows 7 64-Bit Enterprise. Computer boot times are 'blazingly fast, I'm very happy with it. I've optimized Win7 for SSDs as much as possible, to prevent excessive writes and therefore wear on the SSD. Ran Memtest86 on the RAM and it seems to all be OK. Now if Ubisoft would just send me a damn e-mail so I can download the free game I get with the SSD (R.U.S.E).

May blazing speeds and posterity be upon you MH,

I myself maybe looking to upgrade, here is what I currently have, perhaps you guys

can give me some suggestions

Mother board

Asus p7p55d pro

cpu

Intel cor I5 750 @2.67GHz

Memory

2 2G sticks Corssair DDR3

Video Card

Nvidia Geforce GTS 250, 1024 MB, GDDR3 256 bits

Hard drive

Western Digital

VelociRaptor 300GB

I was thinking of uping my ram and grahics

you see mh this is why the rest of us cant have nice things you take them all. dont you have an already awesome computer btw if your merging then let me have a look at what stuff your not using i need a upgrade for my desktop :D

I myself maybe looking to upgrade, here is what I currently have, perhaps you guys

Mother board

Asus p7p55d pro

cpu

Memory

Video Card

Hard drive

Western Digital

VelociRaptor 300GB

4GB of RAM is decent enough for Win7 64-bit (I assume that's what you'll be using).

The Velociraptor is a good drive, i5 a decent CPU. Might be worth it in the long run to pick something better than a GTS 250 up though. I have the GTX 280 currently, which is a decent card, though it can't compete with the new cards out now (and might as well go with the newest card you can afford, so you won't have to upgrade it in a year when new games come out)

you see mh this is why the rest of us cant have nice things you take them all. dont you have an already awesome computer btw if your merging then let me have a look at what stuff your not using i need a upgrade for my desktop :D

Yes I did have an awesome computer. And now it is even awesome-er?. I didn't take anything out though, only added, so no spare parts laying around. tongue.gif

Mother board

Asus p7p55d pro

cpu

Memory

Video Card

Hard drive

Western Digital

VelociRaptor 300GB

Do not buy the i5, unless your on a tight budget.......

The i7 is the BABY for you... WHY ?

i5

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core_i5

i7

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core_i7

The i5 uses direct media interface & the 9xx i7 used Quick path (QPI, Quick path interface)

running 4.8 GT/s QPI (the extreeme CPU version running 1 × 6.4 GT/s QPI)

The i7 runs native to DDR3 / 3 × DDR3-1066 TRIPLE CHANNEL FUNCTION 3 sticks of RAM

i5 has DMI bus running at 2.5 GT/s and support for dual-channel DDR3-800/1066/1333 memory

2 × DDR3-1333 DUAL CHANNEL ONLY FUNCTION... 2 sticks of RAM

Basically the throughput even at the same clock speed of the i7 v i5 is that the i7 is DOUBLE !!! and TRIPLE on the extreeme

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transfer_%28computing%29

Giga Transfers per second ( GT/s )

Pick wisely !!!! Get a slower i7 for the win !

You get native DDR3 TRIPLE channel acces / not dual channel access as with the i5 & you get double the transfer speed...

which is where most CPU's bottle neck !!!!!

:banana_dance:

Socket 1366 motherboard

1366 pin CPU i7 like the 920 / 930 / 940 / 950 / 960

3 sticks of 2 Gb triple channel DDR3 memory !!!

in November im starting my move to a quad core and maybe a 6 core computer seeing this SSD in action has opened my eyes BIG..looks like part of my build will be even better ooh yea Medic i have that same case you have BUT awaiting the parts :)...its a realy Good looking case YARR.