Spartans Home

Domination CO test server

Zeno~SPARTA~

By mistake I started the cqb mission tonight, they all went were are the scoped weapons? They all stayed so I left it LOL.

I left for smoke and when i come back mission was turn back to regular.

I was blamed for switching mission to regular with DMR ;) no idea why, i was not even there.

But as i notice before mission end there was mk17 rco, 240 with scope and all tws guns.

TWS have zoom, so it was not really iron and dot only.

Problem is there's no real CQB moments to be had on the current map "Takistan", you need 1/2 click (km) sights at the very least. Iron sights don't make sense for effectively assaulting towns. Don't know about anyone else but you can barely see above 300 meters in game effectively on iron sights.

RCO, M240/249 sights don't have deep sights as sniper rifles, and technically fall into what some dictate "CQB".

Breaching office buildings, internal urban environments, or "real close quarters" (less then 200 meter engagements), then commanders would equip their soldiers accordingly. Sending soldiers into combat without decent optics when the battle presents itself on the given terrain at ranges between 1 km to 200 meters is not CQB.

If you want to make it CQB, take it to Zargabad which is a decent urban environment.

Map_of_Zargabad.jpg

Problem is there's no real CQB moments to be had on the current map "Takistan", you need 1/2 click (km) sights at the very least. Iron sights don't make sense for effectively assaulting towns. Don't know about anyone else but you can barely see above 300 meters in game effectively on iron sights.

RCO, M240/249 sights don't have deep sights as sniper rifles, and technically fall into what some dictate "CQB".

Breaching office buildings, internal urban environments, or "real close quarters" (less then 200 meter engagements), then commanders would equip their soldiers accordingly. Sending soldiers into combat without decent optics when the battle presents itself on the given terrain at ranges between 1 km to 200 meters is not CQB.

If you want to make it CQB, take it to Zargabad which is a decent urban environment.

Map_of_Zargabad.jpg

That looks like a good idea, i would like to try that map in multiplayer aswell :)

I agree with smoke. Zargabad is the map we should consider a CQB mission. I´m actually writing on a mission for that map, but can´t tell when it is ready. I even don´t know at this moment how many mission objectives I want to integrate and what the storyline will be exactly.

For those who have played my "Riders on the storm" mission: I am going to convert this mission to Combined Operations so that there is the new weapons available from OA. And I will make some tweaks here and there. Maybe we can get it onto one of the servers if there is enough interest to play the mission.

I didn t see that map yet, but if that offer a "city" environment, that is what we need for CQB.

When it comes to the mission, I don t think you need necessarely make 1 mission with too many objectives.

Under a programming standpoint that might result complicate and buggy.

What about creating a mini-campaign, were smaller mission, potentially simple as concept and goal to accomplish interact with each other following a story-line?

Simple mission, does not means simple execution. It simply means you have a clear objective, maybe a secondary one if something goes wrong and thhat s it.

I guess the concept of urban warfare is that you just set a stronghold in a neighborhood. Now you have to really "size" the city, wich involves moving ahead to different areas of interest.

It would be amazing if was possible to have a "Domination" conversion, where the battlefield is within the City and the system generates the areas of the city you have to move to and conquer as mini AOs. Then you will have a massive mission going on.

But if this does not exist, let s go with single missions :)

I didn t see that map yet, but if that offer a "city" environment, that is what we need for CQB.

When it comes to the mission, I don t think you need necessarely make 1 mission with too many objectives.

Under a programming standpoint that might result complicate and buggy.

What about creating a mini-campaign, were smaller mission, potentially simple as concept and goal to accomplish interact with each other following a story-line?

Simple mission, does not means simple execution. It simply means you have a clear objective, maybe a secondary one if something goes wrong and thhat s it.

I guess the concept of urban warfare is that you just set a stronghold in a neighborhood. Now you have to really "size" the city, wich involves moving ahead to different areas of interest.

It would be amazing if was possible to have a "Domination" conversion, where the battlefield is within the City and the system generates the areas of the city you have to move to and conquer as mini AOs. Then you will have a massive mission going on.

But if this does not exist, let s go with single missions :)

Good point and idea there Batwing!

The concept we had when we put up our "CQB" domination was not necessarily to have an urban warfare street-to-street scenario, but rather keep engagements under 300m. Arma doesn't do true CQB very well, but maybe it's something we just haven't gotten used to yet and need to try. The Zargabad map look promising and I may fiddle with putting Domination in it over the weekend.

I just took a closer look to that map on the editor.

It is beautiful !

I never tried creating a mission on this game, i am a bit scared by the amount of options are there. However i wanna try to use the internal editor to create a very simple test mission on that map.

I think I will try to see what the easy wizard allows. BIS was advertising a lot of potential on the new mission editor, simplifying life for common players. I am definetely a common player :) I will not go into scripting, that s arabic for me :)

So i want to see what the AI can do on a urban map. I think i will just try to set a few patrols and I wanna see if I can set a "hold" location for a squad inside a building, to see if they are going to engage an Humvee using RPGs from a balcony. LOL.. am i dreaming?

I mean, that would make sense tho :)

If they react they way I do expect, the idea I have is to work on a small area of the big city, to keep stuff focused.

My goal is to see if a few insurgents work correctly, but then I want to add a massive number of randomly behaving civilians, just walking the streets, crowding the market areas, etc. I would add a few civilian cars going somewhere too.

Then, if this works, the real mission is infiltrating and sizing an objective, where you have to "screen" civilians from threats.

This means, I do not really need to have too many insurgents to fight, because my mission will be a surgical interaction.

I do not need to populate the entire city for a specific mission. I can choose an area and work on that only.

Probably if you move away from the target area the rest of the city will result in a ghost town, maybe unrealistic, but I think we can live with a game limitation on reality, right? :)

So, BIS said the mission editor can assign easy objectives in several easy ways. If BIS keep their promises, theoretically having a few of AI behaving decently "might" happen :)

If after testing very small groups behaviour, they do not act as expected, I think I will leave this hard job to someone else, lol...

The Zargabad map look promising and I may fiddle with putting Domination in it over the weekend.

Myself and other would love it if did!!!

We did have fun the other night when we assaulted that larger town next to the Airbase to the North. In theory something of that nature would be definitely killer.

May I suggest a couple little birds at least and one Blackhawk (parameter switchable, on/off). But as far as OPFOR is concerned, more BMP's or wheeled vehicles as to put us on our heels ;)

Batwings idea of defferent sectors of the city becoming the new AO with small objectives would be great - and all the while civilians running for their lives - need some good punishment for shooting civilians.

Edited by Lightspeed~SPARTA~

i like the cqb concept alot - getting rid of the ranged scopes.

one thing i noticed today though was i got killed once by a friendly using the thermal sight - as did at least one other. do we really need to use those on these missions - it's like taking candy from a baby although slightly worse bcoz friendly babies are being killed by friendly fire bcoz the guys firing the weapons cant differentiate between friend and foe.

the most fun ive had in ages is coming from penetrating the AO b4 engaging and then having a gr8 firefight as we try to take over the AO. i would be happy to see aircraft except for transporters disappear and friendly armor disappear too.

my two cents.

Oh great, I make one bad shot and dude tells the world! Like you've never TK'd before!

The freaking team designator/roster was screwed up and there was no friendly indicator.

I said I was sorry for crying out loud!!!

[A voice from the back of the room] "Hey Hajimoto, he never said who it was you dolt!"

Huh?......well.... Oh yeah.... emmmm......errrrrr... Ahem............................ Never mind.

cheers.gif

Edited by Hajimoto

Currently working on getting the Zargabad map up for Domination, and it's probably about half-way done. This will be purely CQB with at most, 1 sniper, and at most 2-3 RCO scopes. I'm not a fan of iron sights, just because in game they don't simulate RL very well, but that and the HOLO sights will dominate.

Vehicles: All wheeled vehicles such as Humvees and a couple strykers will be in. Only blackhawks and littlebirds will be flyable. I can put the Chinook if people really want it. No aircraft since we will be operating out of a FOB style enviornment. I'm toying with putting in a Bradley, and will probably do so. Strykers/tanks can be put in by request, maybe as bonus vehicles.

Enemy: I'd like to make all enemy insurgents, and am working on that.

Civies: Trying to figure this out. It will work with a module setup, but not many have had success with it on a dedicated server.

AOs: Surprisingly, lots of area to work with here. I'll probably eliminate the spawning of camps, and just keep the radio towers in place, if that. It will mostly be a matter of taking out all resistance in the very small AOs. They are looking to be anywhere from 100m to 250m in diameter. Somebody ask EMT and MH6 how they liked the 100m AO the other night :)

Can you at least put one of the little birds with the machine guns and rockets as a call in for help? Kinda like Black hawk down style? =P Also if you going to run the combine ops for this you should take out more of the sniper weapons and add in more of the M4 - M16 variants in with more of the SD for tactical play if wanted. Just an idea.

Edit: For the civilian stuff, go look at the war 3 front servers and see what they do for punishments. a minute or 2 in the box there would be enough to keep people aware of who they are shooting. =P

Edited by evilducky

Wow Durka !

This sounds AMAZING :)

Just a comment on weapons and vehicles I would see on thse kind of CQB missions:

Weapons and team structure:

- Snipers should be a dedicated team only and they should be 2, sniper and spotter. However, if this is gonna work as a DOM, where there are no special targets of interest to take down (as, mission objective: kill "that" general), In this environment I do not think Snipers are of any utility. Sptters with binoculars would make the same for reconessance porpouse.

- Each team should really have 1 or 2 medics, 1 or 2 MGs and then Grenadier set up mostly. AT are welcome, but that depends on vehicles, as i will suggest later.

I would like to have some ACOG available config, but that is because I have a poor aiming :) I will try to survive without :)

Vehicles and MHQ

- This is a City environment, I would see on RED and Blu sides large use of cars, Humvees, UAZ, civilian pickups, etc.

- Heavy Armors should be really in the order of 1 or 2 max in the entire city. Especially if we are talking about Insurgent threat, let's keep it consistent. That ppl does not have Tanks in large quantity.

- Light Armors should be really in a small amount and reasonably APCs. The only reason I see them in the city is to take Squads around, beside usage of cars and pickups. Therefore It wound look unreal to me to see 7 or 8 APCs in a city neighborhood. Not from the Insurgents at least.

- Choppers, well they are cool in general, but here, to make it real I would force a move by wheels only. However Small Birds might be nice. Blackhawk are used for insertions in general withh no touch-down, just fast roping. I never saw that here and i dont see real honestly a blackhawk landing in a crowded and hot area just to drop few soldiers (Medivac would be different)

So, bottom line for me, let keep it nice and clean, minimal vehicle interaction and infantry action, isn t this what we are looking for here?

Currently working on getting the Zargabad map up for Domination, and it's probably about half-way done. This will be purely CQB with at most, 1 sniper, and at most 2-3 RCO scopes. I'm not a fan of iron sights, just because in game they don't simulate RL very well, but that and the HOLO sights will dominate.

This is like Christmas eve!!! I can't wait until its done... WOOO HOOO!

Oh, by the way, I am interested in participating in this mission when its is complete. As if I actually had to say that.. LOL

[quote name

So, bottom line for me, let keep it nice and clean, minimal vehicle interaction and infantry action, isn t this what we are looking for here?

Hey Batwing lets jump into some Operation Flash Point Dragon Rising, minimal vehicle interaction, majority infantry work....what do ya think?

Can you at least put one of the little birds with the machine guns and rockets as a call in for help? Kinda like Black hawk down style? =P Also if you going to run the combine ops for this you should take out more of the sniper weapons and add in more of the M4 - M16 variants in with more of the SD for tactical play if wanted. Just an idea.

Edit: For the civilian stuff, go look at the war 3 front servers and see what they do for punishments. a minute or 2 in the box there would be enough to keep people aware of who they are shooting. =P

This is not going to be anything special, since I'm stupid when it comes to code, so it'll just be the same domination on a new map. I've already put a littlebird with guns on it, but I hate run-n-gun pilots so I hope they don't last long :banana: :bike:

Hopefully I can get civillians in, but not entirely sure it'll happen yet. I figure that if I dedicate a few nights to it, we'll be up and running in a week or so.