Spartans Home

1 you're lucky, 2 you're a damn good shot

Do todays snipers used blued firearms and scopes? It looks pretty glossy.

Also, what's the US round equivalent to the 8.59mm? (That's almost a cm wide!)

The snipers in the field, once issued a rifle, generally make modifications such as painting and hardware nuances, to suit their personal or environmental needs. Also, who's gonna see a barrel glint at a mile and a half?

the equivalent to the 8.59mm Titan round is the .338 Lapua. Awesome ballistics on this round.

where can i order the sniper rifle

You got about $1400-1500 US? The rifle, and good glass (Maybe German Schott would be best, I'm not sure on this kit), Reloading equipment and dies because this rifle probably wont shoot 2/3 of Harrison's distance with manufactured ammo. You'd have to find the right powder and count for the many conditions under which to shoot that range.

You might take a look at the Remington MSR in .338 Lapua as an alternative or just for fun, because although I have not shot this weapon system, it looks like a lot of fun.

IPB Image

http://www.remingtonmilitary.com/msr.htm

You got about $1400-1500 US? The rifle, and good glass (Maybe German Schott would be best, I'm not sure on this kit), Reloading equipment and dies because this rifle probably wont shoot 2/3 of Harrison's distance with manufactured ammo. You'd have to find the right powder and count for the many conditions under which to shoot that range.

You might take a look at the Remington MSR in .338 Lapua as an alternative or just for fun, because although I have not shot this weapon system, it looks like a lot of fun.

IPB Image

http://www.remingtonmilitary.com/msr.htm

Forget the rifle, where can I get that training? Hell, give that feller' an enfield with a good barrel and I'm sure he'll pick 'em off at a mile.

How different is the .338 Lapua from the .338 Win Mag? I'd look it up, but easier this way.

http://www.lapua.com/index.php?id=888

and something I just found:

Another okie's numbers are on for 338 Lapua.

From Military .338 Lapua Magnum Rifles Compared, the SAKO TRG-42 and AI-AWSM (http://demigodllc.com/articles/military-338-lapua-rifles-trg42-awsm/)

In the early 1980's, the U.S Navy sought a new cartridge for long-range competition. Research Armament Industries (RAI) developed a .338 caliber wildcat using a rimless .416 Rigby case. After a few years of testing the .338/.416, U.S. Armed Forces lost interest and chose to focus on the .50 BMG instead. Lapua picked up the pieces, strengthened the case design, and created the .338 Lapua Magnum cartridge.

The .338 Lapua splits the difference between .308 sniper rifles and .50 BMG anti-materiel rifles, with an effective range of 1500 yards against man-sized targets. Rifles chambered in .338 Lapua are the same size and weight as other long-action calibers like .300 Winchester Magnum, or about half the weight of a .50 BMG rifle. This makes a dramatic difference in mobility for shooter and spotter teams.

Accuracy International (AI) was established in 1978 by World Champion rifle shooter Malcom Cooper along with Dave Walls and Dave Caig. They produced one of the first modern sniper rifles, the Precision Marksman (PM), which was adopted by the British as the L96 in 1985. AI modified the rifle to work better in arctic environments and this Arctic Warfare (AW) model was adopted by the Swedish Army in 1990. They had a vision for a multi-purpose long-range sniper caliber and this idea came to fruition in the Arctic Warfare Super Magnum (AWSM) sniper rifle chambered in .338 Lapua, which was adopted as the L115A1 in British service.

338 Win Mag is basically a big, slow round for wholloping game.

338 Lapua is a long-range "sniper" round.

datruth- This article describes caliber selection for long-range shooting

PRACTICAL LONG-RANGE RIFLE SHOOTING - PART I: THE RIFLE & GEAR (http://demigod.org/articles/practical-long-range-rifle-shooting-equipment/)

-KILLE- Jan :Finland:

Thanks KILLE, for the above post.

@Ebden, I suppose it IS easier for someone else to do the leg work. LOL.

Yankee also has a good point. Spotters not only 'spot' for the shooter, but they also perform other functions. If living by the creed that 'two is one and one is none" then having a two man team increases survivability tremendously, not only that but the spotter usually has a more 'just-in-case' defensive role than the primary based on his weapon system.

But as a caveat, I am not a sniper. I have never been to a sniper school. I have, however, been very interested in this practice and mindset for a long time and have known numerous snipers through my military and Aux. LEO experiences. I have read many books and been to many sniper and SWAT competitions.

Thanks KILLE, for the above post.

@Ebden, I suppose it IS easier for someone else to do the leg work. LOL.

Yankee also has a good point. Spotters not only 'spot' for the shooter, but they also perform other functions. If living by the creed that 'two is one and one is none" then having a two man team increases survivability tremendously, not only that but the spotter usually has a more 'just-in-case' defensive role than the primary based on his weapon system.

But as a caveat, I am not a sniper. I have never been to a sniper school. I have, however, been very interested in this practice and mindset for a long time and have known numerous snipers through my military and Aux. LEO experiences. I have read many books and been to many sniper and SWAT competitions.

I shot a spraypaint can once. 200yds. It painted the trees purple!