Spartans Home

British Armies new 'Sharpshooter' System

DaiSan

User posted image

A couple things I notice off the bat.

First, this is not a 'sniper' rifle per-se. It is the equivalent to the US Army DMR (designated marksman rifle).

If you look at it closely, it has some of the same features as the M110 SASS used by US forces. Main differences include barrel length and stock choice.

The one thing that I would recommend they do, and I didn't see it anywhere in the article, would be to make it gas piston instead of direct impingement. This adds to the reliability of function to the rifle. (Plus you dont have to worry about your gas key coming loose or breaking off because it isn't staked well.)

The stock is a Magpul PRS (link)

The one piece upper reciever is made by Lewis Machine and Tool here in the US. A VERY reputable AR platform manufacturer.

The foregrip is made by Command Arms Accessories (link)

They would however, do well to swap the A2 flash hider for a Vortex flash hider which eliminates muzzle flash. Add an Accu-wedge, non-rotating trigger pins, Quick pull take-down and pivot pins, install a Magpul ASAP plate, and use a Magpul MS2 single/2 point sling, and this is a bad ass piece of kit.

Honestly, this is a very nice setup and will rival, if not dominate, the M14/DMR setups fielded by the US.

Excellent choice Brits.

One of the last pics in the GR.net thread has what looks like a longer painted barrel and it looks like it was taken in the field.

wow Medic, you certainly know your rifles

I don't know a lot about some older rifles but I have been around the M4/M16 AR (Automatic Rifle, not 'assault rifle') platform quite a bit. The first AR i got my hands on was actually in Basic Combat Training in the US Army. It was a standard M16-A2 and I qualified with 36 of 40 targets hit (you only get 40 rounds for 40 targets). My love affair with this system began. Since then I have been building and cleaning ARs for friends and co-workers and have even worked on some of the local SWAT teams weapons. I also have the privileged of shooting and training with them occasionally. it is a great honor. Anyways, was thinking about the capabilities of the system and how they can be applied to the field. read on.

The other cool thing about this rifle platform is that the operator can, with the quick pull pins, EASILY swap the upper receiver for a CQB or a sniper set up. The Lower receiver is a stable base for any upper of the same caliber.

So for instance you have a mechanized or light infantry unit.

Your squad is engaged at range by snipers at 600+ meters. The DM is currently setup with his mid range upper which is a 16" barrel and an ACOG 4x. It would take no more than a minute to swap to a 'sniper'upper which has an 18 or 20" barrel with a 1/7" twist, and a long range scope (already zeroed for the barrel) and engage those targets with accuracy and lethality using a 7.62mm round.

He does so and the remaining targets scurry into the nearby town. The unit is ordered to clear the town so the DM quickly switches to his CQB set up with a 14.5" barrel and an EOTECH holo-sight (already zeroed) for use in CQB applications. When the town is clear, he switches back to his mid-range upper and the unit moves out for the next op.

The main thing to remember is that ONE soldier has now filled three roles and all it called for was a little time and two extra uppers stowed in the vehicle (not two full rifles which weigh a lot more). He engaged the enemy at multiple ranges with lethal accuracy which provides security and it costs a lot less, both in cash and more importantly, blood.

Edited by Medic~SPARTA~