Spartans Home

Good Day at Work

NCO

You a FireFighter?

Yep, 19 years now. That clip is just a short media update I gave to a reporter yesterday at a call. The actual crews who did the work did a fine job there, I thought some might like the video.

Sounded like the Journo was giving grief over a few broken windows, that must be weird fighting fires and having to be careful about slipping on ice madness.

Never new you tried to vent the heat I'd allways thought that would let oxygen in to feed the fire, you learn something new everyday.

Good job dude.

From my avatar you know what i am, what was that ladder a seagrave ?

I certainly do! I love our EVTs, they keep the rigs safe. Those ladders at that fire were LTI ladders on American LaFrance rigs. We had a 110' and a 75' quint on the back of the building.

When I volunteered as an FF/EMT we road all Mack CFs. Great trucks. Had them painted similar to NYC. On the cold nights we'd throw our turnout coats on the dog box and warm them up. I rode the Truck most of the time, but I also ran the Heavy Squad and the Gut-Bucket too.

NCO, be safe out there brother.

Edited by Medic~SPARTA~

Good Deal, I worked for american lafrance, in sandford Fl, i ran the service and retrofitt dept for 2 years. First year i made the company allmost 1 mill in duel A/C retrofitts on 25 Miami Metro Dade and 20 Jacksonville city units ,Even did warranty repairs on Prince gordges county units and fairfax county units that responded to the pentagon. And can't find a job right now.

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~

Hang in there, Athlon. The economy has gotta come back, and there's no way a good EVT is going to go to waste!

p.s. I see the Pierce logo there. We're getting into a number of Pierce rescue engines, and the guys really like em.

Well i can tell you that Pierce is the finest, most engineered best put together, hightest quality of any apparatus that I have seen. The quality found in a pirece is far beyond any outher aparatus made today. I have worked on pierces sence the early 80s Units i have worked on, Arrow, dash, quantium, With waterous pumps is unstopible. We had to acceptance pump test the quantums with series 60 detroit 545 hp and waterous csmu 1250 amidship pumps. They hitt 1,200 gpm at 1200 rpm with 3-2 1/2s at 66 psi and hardly dident even break a sweat. It barely got the engine warmed up, wound up the throttle to 1500 rpm and we broke 2,000 gpm and had tons of throttle left. I think if we throttled her up to red line we could have hitt close to 3000 gpm. We were afraid we were going to explode the hoses. What a friggen monster!!!!!! That 14 leter series 60 when started, shakes the ground!

All I can say is when a quantum rolls in to a structure fire, the fire is scared!

IPB Image

IPB Image

I worked 15 years on these babys

User posted image

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~

Yeah, we are getting five more Pierce units this year, after getting some Contenders last year, which the crews are loving. The fleet can be viewed at Halifax Fleet

We're waiting on delivery of a 114' Bronto Skylift (on an ALF chassis I believe). That's gonna be interesting...