Spartans Home

Noobish Question

Yankee~SPARTA~

So I finally have some funds to fix the puter and wanted some input. I'm trying to figure out if I want to put dual graphic cards into my pc. If it is worth it, then the next step would be to figure out if i have what is needed to do so. So, can anyone give me some tips as to how I can figure all of this out? Thanks!

Depends on what kind of games you intend to play. Some take more advantage of SLI or CrossFire, but one high-end card can usually get the job done (above 30fps avg). If anything, save the extra money and go for a really good processor and make sure you've got plenty of RAM.

For example, games like Crysis are more graphics intensive, and dual-cards or high-end cards benefit the game more. ArmA 2 is a more processor intensive game, higher frequencies and more cores give smoother and faster gameplay.

Depends on what kind of games you intend to play. Some take more advantage of SLI or CrossFire, but one high-end card can usually get the job done (above 30fps avg). If anything, save the extra money and go for a really good processor and make sure you've got plenty of RAM.

For example, games like Crysis are more graphics intensive, and dual-cards or high-end cards benefit the game more. ArmA 2 is a more processor intensive game, higher frequencies and more cores give smoother and faster gameplay.

What he said, but with bravado!

Okay, here is what I am going to go with:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814130339

I think this will do the trick since everything was working fine before my video card died. I really was hoping not to put in a new processor since I'm assuming that it would also require a new motherboard.

not exactly, when shopping for a new processor you have to look at the sochet number that is for your mobo and your CPU and if you turely want a new CPU then match that up what is a dual core i5 ,i7 ,quad-core if its a quad core then you would yes have to get a new mobo. if you want more help then get on ts sometime and ill help you out.

If possible see if you can´t find the extra money and buy this instead

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...82E16814150438´

if not i would go for this instead.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814131327

It will perform just as good but you will have the option to upgrade to Crossfire later on.

(Make sure the mobo supports it though)

The 9800GTX cards will be gone very soon.

Unfort. I do not have internet at the apartment until Monday so I can't just copy and paste my spec. But, off the top of my head I know that I have an Intel Quad Core 2.6Ghz processor and some intel motherboard. I'm pretty sure that my motherboard is not crossfire compatible. Also the link that UST posted sends me to a whole list of things ranging from 30-400 dollars so I'm not really sure which one you were trying to point out.

With that said, I want to point out that I really just want a crisp and nice feel to a game. Little lag and for the best buck. I don't think I need the latest and greatest (I really can't afford it), but im flexible.

Price point is probably the most important thing to consider. There are tons of options within different price brackets, and you'll never get the right answer unless you give an approximation of what you want to spend.

Another important thing to consider is your screen resolution, in addition to your internal system specs.

The 9800GTX+ is a little dated now, surpassed by the 200 series from Nvidia and both the 4000 and 5000 series from AMD/ATI. In order to give some advice, I'll assumed you want a card in the mid range of both company's lineups. Nvidia's new series has been delayed, so you are looking at a GTX 260 from Nvidia, not very many worthwhile options unless you move up the price brackets.

There are a plethora of options from AMD, depending on what features you want. The 5770/5750 are low power cards from the new 5000 series, with DirectX 11 support. There are the 4890s, which are the leftover mid/high end cards from the 4000 series that offer slightly increased performance over the 5770s, but without DirectX 11 support and low power features. The final option is the 4770, the 5770s little brother. Low power and the least performance, but also the smallest price tag.

If you want more information, I'll be happy to point you toward some good review sites.

Edited by Punisher~SPARTA~