Spartans Home

Greetings to the Spartans

Jadecougar

Hello Spartans!

I'm new to your site, server, and teamspeak. So you CAN call me the noob of the day rather appropriately! :D

I'm a 33 year old Canadian national who's located in Finland. Been here about twelve and a half years now. Married to a fine Finnish woman and together we've got four kids with a fifth on the way in February 2010! I have a business background but work in IT as a manager for our company's Intranet/Internet/Enterprise search platform.

I love gaming and enjoy building computers and watercooling systems. I've started my gaming back with Commodore 64 (LOL) but the real gaming (online) started with DOOM and DukeNuken 3D (ahhh the good ol days) via 14.4bps dial up modem (ROFL). My clan-based games have started with GRAW and have practically ended with COD: World at War (what a way to kill the gaming interests of all fps gamers!!! :P ).

Been waiting primarily for Operation Flashpoint 2 since the beginning but have stumbled onto Arma2 in the meantime. As a former COD player, the open warfare IS significantly different and therefore I'm not at the skill level I'd like to be.

I will reveal a 'slightly' embarrassing issue to you....ever since I was a boy I wanted to be in the military. Never made it for one reason or another but have loved to follow every aspect of it and these games are a great way to let out the military imagination with other people that have similar experiences or (even better) are former military officers. I have aspirations of joining a group where I feel literally at home, can chat, laugh, and have fun BUT enjoy a good intense tactical game too!

Anyway.....I just spoke with both Zathrus and Athlon about the group and I must say I'm initially rather impressed.

I've recently left a clan at which I've been a part of in its leadership for the last year due to a lack of European presence and other "clan" matters not needed to be discussed here (pull me aside if you're interested to know more). As a result, I've made a decision to leave the group in search of a more active group that has more people in my timezone and has a looser structure that I could accomodate my personal obligations around BUT still enjoy the more tactical side of the games too.

I hope I've found that!

Lastly, I'm new at these (open warfare) games so be patient. Some of you guys are very skilled. I will not be for a while so any tips/pointers will be taken positively and applied to my game. I'm a loyal person with much to offer in leadership and admining, too so I hope that in time, we both will feel we have found the perfect match.

Looking forward to getting to know you all better!

Jadecougar

Welcome to the community!

I've been interested lately in educating myself on how in the world the Finns were able to stop the Communist invasion during the 40s. If you have any reccommendations on books (in Engrish), I'd love to pick your brain a bit.

Also, as for the learning curve, don't sweat it. There's a wealth of knowledge in our Arma2 forum from how to fly, to how to navigate properly. You should pick up pretty quick. The absolute hardest thing to do in these games is to keep from running forward or straying from the team, and that's fairly easy to fix.

Hope to see you around!

Welcome to the community!

I've been interested lately in educating myself on how in the world the Finns were able to stop the Communist invasion during the 40s. If you have any reccommendations on books (in Engrish), I'd love to pick your brain a bit.

Also, as for the learning curve, don't sweat it. There's a wealth of knowledge in our Arma2 forum from how to fly, to how to navigate properly. You should pick up pretty quick. The absolute hardest thing to do in these games is to keep from running forward or straying from the team, and that's fairly easy to fix.

Hope to see you around!

Hi again and thanks to all for the welcome!

On the Finn front.. they're tough beans! hehe! I'm sure you guys have done some research into snipers but this guy tops the crop IMO, Sami Häyhä. Here's an excerpt about him:

A member of the 34th Infantry Regiment and a farmer by trade, Simo Häyhä became a most feared sniper during the 1939-40 (30 November 1939 14 March 1940) Winter invasion of Finland by the Soviet Union. Using nothing more than an iron sighted Mosin-Nagant Model 28, Simo is credited with killing 505 Russians during a three month period - a feat still unmatched today by any sniper in any conflict. (Editor's note: Some sources say as many as 542 kills in this period.) The impact of Simo and men like him forced the Soviets to pay dearly for their transgressions. While Finland lost the Winter war, it cost the Soviets 1,000,000 men killed out of the 1,500,000 man invading force*. The Finns lost a total of 25,000 men in that conflict. A testament to their bravery and determination in the face of amazing odds.

Another source:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simo_H%C3%A4yh%C3%A4

I know you want more wide information but for starters this guy's a fascinating story...a true warrior, without all the bells and whistles. Perhaps some of the other Finnish guests (I noticed a gentlemen from the Finnish military visiting here?) may have more to add?

Anyway, about Arma2 and the like....thanks! I would value some tips. I've been flying choppers a fair bit already on my own and have improved a lot...thought I was good until I came on to your server! lol!

But yeah, I'm still VERY new to the game and am looking forward to getting into the team work aspect and learning the ins and outs of the game. I'm very much used to the tactical comms and teamwork too from my previous clan but the game itself, the characters, movement, and roles that are set up when coming in are all new when in a group.

Thanks for the patience and see you on the battlefield.

BTW guys, I have tried to "apply" via the forum links and it doesn't allow me to do so. I assume this is due to my lack of privileges and that I'm a "newbie" around here, in which case it's ok of course.

Was just thinking that it's hard to state my own intentions and for the Spartans to decide on those intentions without the application process. hehe!

If I'm doing something wrong please let me know. If not, please let me know that too.

Enjoying the times so far!

Cheers

Hi JC

ggz today on the server - nice to see a new face who likes to play the way we like to play.

you'll have to join us for some tactical domination on friday night (US time), or morning in Australia (correct time).

interesting chopper ride ;) but a little practice - i never bother to fly them unless needed - prefer to do my work on the ground.

lots of tips and tricks for Arma2 - i think we all learn something new each week.

see you round

Here is the memoirs of our best fighter pilot:

http://www.sci.fi/~fta/double_fighter_knight.htm

and this could be one movie to watch, if you ever get your hands on it:

http://www.beyondhollywood.com/winter-war-1989-movie-review/

-KILLE-

Tervetuloa

:Finland:

Now there´s three guys from Finland on the server, good to have you here. Looking forward to see you in the game.

-KILLE-

Yes, Finland the great!! haha! Seriously though, it's nice to see some other guys from Finland here! Where are you from Kille? What are the times you're usually playing?

Yes, Finland the great!! haha! Seriously though, it's nice to see some other guys from Finland here! Where are you from Kille? What are the times you're usually playing?

Last five years I have been living in Karjaa, some 200 km away from you. Originally lived around the capital area but work tossed me around eastern and southern Finland for a while. I work 15km away from Helsinki and I´m happy that nowadays one can work from homeoffice too.

""""Normal""" gaming times for me, hmmm have to think of it:

It´s totally depending on the realityfactor of work and family first and then some... :D

I usually hook up with my realworld friend (Kosminen) and we head to sparta server, quite often we´re starting at 22:00 (Finnish time) and we´ll finish at 01:00 on weekdays and friday/saturday we usually hang around a lot later (earlier).

Cu soon,

-KILLE-

ps.

- those Finns are so good drinking alcohol...

- how come?

- that´s where the saying "are u finished yet" is coming from

Finnish but not finished yet :P

Edited by KILLE

Hi JC

ggz today on the server - nice to see a new face who likes to play the way we like to play.

you'll have to join us for some tactical domination on friday night (US time), or morning in Australia (correct time).

interesting chopper ride ;) but a little practice - i never bother to fly them unless needed - prefer to do my work on the ground.

Lightspeed....yeah...umm...about that chopper ride...*cough cough* LOL!

I'm still working out what I'm actually good at in the game. I've had some good games with you, Coyote, Zeno, Steel and others so far. I'm enjoying the way of play immensely! Wish I could play more...but that's probably a good thing!

I've heard about the tactical domination nights. However being in GMT+2 in Europe it's an un-Godly time of night to be awake for so unless there's a Euro option, it's going to be tough. I'd sure like to give it a go though! Looking forward to future gaming sessions...and thanks for the patience and help too!

Tac Dom nights usually start about 2pm (8pm GMT?) and lasts throughout the night.

2 pm EST? If so then it's 9pm in Finland.

Good to know though....maybe I can make it afterall.

Edited by Jadecougar