Spartans Home

Sahrani Domination for ArmA2

Morgan

I'm Pacific time - I'll probably be on a around 3 pm my time, what with the multiple demands of unemployment pulling me in so many different directions.

3pm Pacific=7:30 Newfoundland. I should be on shortly after that time, what with the multiple demands of raising a slack-ass teenager who needs a tutor now.

I have noticed that as our server gains in popularity, we have had a few more scalawags to deal with. The ban list might get more active if people don't wise up to the TS rule.

We had a full time admin squad when our AA servers were running full time. (Ban list did get pretty large.)

As for the new map, I have it downloaded and installed in case we end up playing it.

I was having some fun, but some frustration with the map.

The AI seems to have the instant targetting that Arma 1 and Arma 2 had before the recent patching. Fire at the AI, and they return file damn quick.

Maybe my imagination, but AI seems to spawn almost on top of you - without having to move up. One minute you're clear, the next there's suddenly a squad flanking you.

I had a good time with Zeno, Phisher, and Idan trying to clear a couple of towns and it was TOUGH.

The no revive changes the pace of the game a great deal, and we do have AI cannon fodder we can use to tote around anti - air, as the AI will often have 3 -4 helos and / or fighters circling over the fight.

The AI seems to have the instant targetting that Arma 1 and Arma 2 had before the recent patching. Fire at the AI, and they return file damn quick.

Maybe my imagination, but AI seems to spawn almost on top of you - without having to move up. One minute you're clear, the next there's suddenly a squad flanking you.

I had a good time with Zeno, Phisher, and Idan trying to clear a couple of towns and it was TOUGH.

The no revive changes the pace of the game a great deal, and we do have AI cannon fodder we can use to tote around anti - air, as the AI will often have 3 -4 helos and / or fighters circling over the fight.

i had a great time ,without the ability to be revived you have to think twise before you take a step.

great deal of effort but i like it.

I will take a look at this script.

It should be an ArmA II domination script overlayed onto the sahrani map, but maybe its a full port of arma I domination.

I hope its just the AI skill level is set at a high level.

I dont know how to check for the spawning, but will try.

I will take a look at this script.

It should be an ArmA II domination script overlayed onto the sahrani map, but maybe its a full port of arma I domination.

I hope its just the AI skill level is set at a high level.

I dont know how to check for the spawning, but will try.

Thanks Zeno -

I don't wish to appear ungrateful - thank you so much for implementing this map! (And of course listening to my bellyaching)

I didnt say when, lol, so dont get your hopes up yet.

I really think this will grow in popularity.

Domination on any decent map will probably be popular. I can't think of a better way to see most of a map than to work through a full round of dom. Different cities and side missions give a chance to try any manner of differnet approaches on unknown terrain.

Paraiso, Sahrani, just SW of HQ, suprised me when I found the stone plazas and integral stairwells. Overall Sahrani seems to have more accessable buildings and lots of exposed overwatch positions, but I'm not sure. The environment definitely seems more dynamic than Chernarus; desert terrain S of HQ, woodland to the East, multiple small islands, a plateau to the SW, and serious elevation further W.

Isl. Panthera has my next vote for a Dom overlay (but it's got to be a ton of work!)

Fantastic games on Sahrani tonight, Tactical movement through town, no run and gun, no idiots in vehicles, a breath of fresh air. Thanks all who were playing, You know who you were.

I would happily game with you all again anytime.

Dai out !

Fantastic games on Sahrani tonight, Tactical movement through town, no run and gun, no idiots in vehicles, a breath of fresh air. Thanks all who were playing, You know who you were.

Dai out !

Why the hell do I always miss it?

Dai out !

thanks ,great game love this map.

Thanks Zeno -

I don't wish to appear ungrateful - thank you so much for implementing this map! (And of course listening to my bellyaching)

I actually contacted Bushlurker (author of the Sahrani domination for CAA)

"He had this to say...

Glad you liked the conversion... it was, of course, Domination by Xeno - I just reverted his Chernarus A2 version back to the Sahrani location...

I kinda noticed the Sahrani AI kick serious butt too... not sure why - it's the same stock AI FSM routines and stuff...

I suspect it might actually be something to do with the clutter, bushes an trees, etc...

In the early Arma1 days - trees an bushes were laggy as hell (sound familiar?) and they blocked your view, but not the AI's... there were community addons that made the AI less hyperaccurate, plus others that eased up the FPS and added AI viewblock to the vegetation...

None of those addons work on the A2/CAA1 Sahrani, so - in effect - the AI can see you real easy - combined with the new A2 "intelligence", once they're on to you it can get tough..."

Was nice to get such an quick and to the point answer. Seems someone is working on a mod so that the enemy AI aren't Terminators.

• 3 weeks later...

Good Games November 11th

I wanted to say how much fun it was yesterday--

Ebden, Buzz, Skele, ScuD, DeltaSierra and someone I didn't recognize were on the Sahrani server yesterday from about 4 - 6 pm PST and it was a blast.

We started in Expert mode and wound up with some weird experiences -- laser designators not illuminating and major ownage by the AI, but Halli showed Ebden the ropes Admin style and we turned it down to Vet mode, at which point things started working more as we anticipated.

Good times, but stll a hard map to clear. Would be great to get more people on the server...the island lends itself to really huge view distances, and the AI can be super tough, especially in the heavily wooded areas, and when the little bastards hide in in underbrush.

Hope to see more people on the server. It can be a really nice shift from Chernarus.

But I still really enjoy Kal's Mega AO mod for domination. That was a very nice shift - seems that it improved teamwork and more tactically sound play.

Good Games November 11th

I wanted to say how much fun it was yesterday--

Ditto, despite ultimate ownage. KA-52s hozing us on the pad, at the vehicle-ammo loadout. Buzz phrazed it well 'Pissing up a rope.' Before Halli showed me how to manage things a bit.

Sahrani is a cool map, and Buzz 'n I took the chance yesterday when a couple russians were playing to try and boost the server numbers a bit, get a crowd going.

I'll be at it again this afternoon, plans in the evening.

As far as adjusting the AI skill, I used a mod for a user mission that is supposed to encourage more life-like accuracy. I haven't used it anywhere other than in the specific mission, but it sounds like it might work here. The mod below requires CBA.

zGuba's Gameplay Modifications

If I get the chance I'll update the Sahrani map to the 1.17 DOM. Its on 1.12 right now. Bushlurker only made the 1.03, and most side missions are not updated at all to new coordinates.

When you do, can you double-check the functionality of the laser designator? Something was screwy yesterday in Expert, and again today in Veteran. Buzz and I aren't sure what, but it didn't seem to activate, or was only active in certain views (change the view, and the confirmation that it was on went away).