Spartans Home

Kalashnikov AK 47 7.62x39

Zeno~SPARTA~

Today I went to the range and shot he AK 47, there is more of a kick to this than the 5.56 weapons but not as bad as full size 7.62 rounds.

I cannot focus on the foresight at all when aiming at a silhouette at 50 metres I finally managed to get a nice group with a white target.

There are a number of things wrong with my old eyes I think since I can focus on the back sight, I could see the small black circle of the pistol target but could not focus at all on the foresight .

Again I would be crap in the military since all enemy would have to be in white on dark backgrounds for me to see them.

I am happy to have shot this historically important rifle.

You need to come visit Elvis's house sometime.

Hi guys-

I've fired the AR15 quite a bit in the distant past, but never the AK. Has either one of you fired the 6.5x39mm Grendel round - how does that compare to the two you mentioned above?

I hate AKs, at least the ones that are used in real wars. The iron sights are like old hunting rifles, the folding butt-stocks dig into your shoulder and just don't fit as well as the M16s/M4s. I'm sure if some talibani practiced all day, he could hit something, but for the average soldier that would use one, they will have to put a few down range before they get good at it.

Good to see you got to experience shooting it Zeno. It's funny how everything Eastern is so different from everything Western. AKs are built to work in all conditions, just like Russian planes, tanks, and automobiles. Western weapons have to be cleaned constantly, but as a whole work better. I saw a show once comparing these things and it showed an American runway being swept clean of debris for fear something might get sucked into the jet, and then it shows a Russian jet taxiing down a runway that's all beaten and worn down. It could land on a gravel path if it had to. Funny how that works.

I had a lot of trouble aiming this rifle, I found it much easier to see the foresight on the M16/AR15. Like I said I did get a nice group eventually shooting a white pistol target, shots aimed at the centre went high and right.

I did have another problem with the Ak, when I had my cheek comfortably on the (wooden) stock it was in contact with my ear protector, every shot therefore made my right ear ring and was unpleasant, luckily I only shot 5 rounds at a time so it didnt get too painful.

I would rank the 3 assault rifles as follows

SIG 552 commando (with optical sight)

Colt Ar 15

AK 47 (a distant 3rd) although I do like the short 7.62.

The sights are kind of crude, I learned to shoot with open sights, after a wile it becomes natral to sight up. I have a high standard HD-military 4" bull barrel pistol. After haveing fired it for years, and know it like the back of my hand, I don't need to use the sights anymore,I just point and shoot and hitt what I want.

lol, if I shot a thousand rounds a time through a rifle I would be proficient, but I only get to fire about 20 rounds, not the same.

An idea is floating through my head telling me to buy a G36 but I am not giving it any time to linger between my ears.

They're basically the same but for the select fire, either way its a great rifle. I seem to remember the SAS used the G3 when the rest of the britsh army used the SLR (FN FAL) because it was a better weapon. having said that the SLR was pretty good too (from what I have read).

&"> &" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" />

&"> &" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" />